Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2734: #PortraitMode (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2734-portraitmode-20740/)

Andrea_Allan 10-15-2017 09:00 PM

2734: #PortraitMode

With Emily Lubin — Emily on her podcast co-host’s worse qualities; NYC subway racists and perverts; more Harvey Weinstein accusers; Amazon’s sexually inappropriate programming chief; lost condoms; Ben Affleck and Oliver Stone’s sexual misconduct; Roman Polanski’s fourth public victim; Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory; 14 family members all have 12 fingers and 12 toes; straight men prefer men over women

Guest:
Emily Lubin
http://static-2.keithandthegirl.net/...LY-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

invader 10-15-2017 10:03 PM

What I don't get about the Harvey Weinstein rapes is that the people that are taking everything away from him are exactly the same people who knew of his actions and helped cover it all up. So what changed? Who else are they covering for? Why aren't they also being held accountable?

Lhibou 10-16-2017 01:21 AM

"Portrait Mode"

It drove me a tiny bit crazy that Keith kept wishing for "Portrait Mode", when that is how they were already filming - vertically! I do agree with the notion - vertical filming makes my eyes scratch - horizontal filming is called Landscape Mode!! Stop spreading the fake news Keith ;)

Lanfear 10-16-2017 04:50 AM

The study is from the UK - generally we here in Europe are less weird about hugs and cheek kissing hello.
I hug my male and female friends hello and goodbye and the boys do it to each other as well. And like Chemda said it’s not sexual it’s just a nice hug.

The cuddle part is strange but I wonder if that is a weird way the newspaper phrased that in the article vs what was in the paper.

And everybody should google ‘soccer player hug’ because that is delightful
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/30/53/51.../1024x1024.jpg

Lanfear 10-16-2017 04:51 AM

And then I googled ‘football players hug’ and the very first image that came up pretty much proofed my point.
https://d.justpo.st/media/images/201...8d212b00e3.jpg

jbliss 10-16-2017 07:47 AM

Wrong

Chemda, "he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong" is a DEFENSE used in court to try to get a not-guilty verdict and/or to reduce sentences. Please don't defend the Harvey's of the world by saying they don't know the difference between right and wrong. They absolutely do.

Archimedes_Screw 10-16-2017 08:25 AM

How to deal with rapists: Kick their teeth in and carve an R on their forehead.

Archimedes_Screw 10-16-2017 08:27 AM

Emily is pretty damn cool. Cod fax is brilliant. Hot mess is a fantastic podcast.

Lanfear 10-16-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invader (Post 863781)
What I don't get about the Harvey Weinstein rapes is that the people that are taking everything away from him are exactly the same people who knew of his actions and helped cover it all up. So what changed? Who else are they covering for? Why aren't they also being held accountable?

Because there are a shitton of people that don’t even believe Weinstein is guilty or at least that what he did was *soooo* bad, can we get this first step done pretty please. Also have a look at what comments Ben Affleck and others who were fake outraged got.
Listen to this weeks Misandry with Marcia and Rae - we’ll get to it trust me

Lanfear 10-16-2017 10:07 AM

Weinstein knows that what he did was ‘wrong’ in the sense that it was illegal but he clearly thought that he was entitled to do it anyway.

Human brains are capable of that cognitive dissonance easy peasy.
Which sometimes turns out real bad (serial killer thinks he is a superhero for ridding the world of prostitutes) and other times just means Chemda is so convinced that drugs are the best thing ever that it’s not enough to just tell us that she loves taking them (which I’m fully on board with) but feels the need to regularly publicly advertise her husband selling them.

memecherry 10-16-2017 11:59 AM

#TeamCodFacts

Binkers 10-16-2017 12:09 PM

Male friendships

This concept of male friendship as the highest form of bonding is nothing new...think ancient Greece or 19th century America. It's interesting that it's coming around again, and at least it'll help with the current problem we have where older men wind up mega depressed and alone if they're single. Good, I say!

It's too bad that misogyny is mixed in with all this but it's not like that's anything new. Just don't fuck the women haters, easy. How do you spot them? Look for the guy with his best bud sitting in his lap.

AlyssaN 10-16-2017 03:29 PM

Yeah, I think the issue here isn't that these criminals don't know what they are doing is wrong . . . rather, they are able to justify doing wrong things. A lot of this is societally based - as a society we help teach people justifications and we perpetuate those justifications as we talk about the crime after the fact. It's also about power and the belief that if I use my power to help someone in some way, then I am justified in exerting that power over them because they aught to be grateful for my help.

Enunciated Piffle 10-17-2017 08:09 AM

I've had a restaurant owner treat me like shit over minimum wage. I imagine a movie producer is similar but worse. They put twenty million dollars in your pocket...

They own you.

Binkers 10-17-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle (Post 863802)
I've had a restaurant owner treat me like shit over minimum wage. I imagine a movie producer is similar but worse. They put twenty million dollars in your pocket...

They own you.

It's not just money, it's how easy they think you are to replace. Both restaurant and entertainment workers have a shit ton of competition, and I don't think Weistein tried this on anyone after they were A-list.

Sucks because this will only get worse as more jobs are replaced by AI. At least your robo-boss won't be interested in honking your tit/helmet...probably...

flerchin 10-17-2017 06:53 PM

Weinstein got off on the whole thing. Either he'd cajole a starlet into bed, whom he could then shame and use his power to silence. Or she'd find a way to wriggle out of it, and he'd blackball her to exercise his power and dominance.

Either way, he got off on abusing his power.

rodimusprime 10-18-2017 08:34 AM

He knew that shit was wrong B. He just thought he could get away with it. I think the conversation got stuck on the semantics of him CARING if it's wrong or society caring if it's wrong.

I don't give a fuck. He knew that shit was wrong which is why he threatened women, silenced them and harassed them. He just had a lot of enablers alone the way who ALSO knew it was wrong and didn't give a fuck.

The Girl 10-18-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodimusprime (Post 863829)
He knew that shit was wrong B. He just thought he could get away with it. I think the conversation got stuck on the semantics of him CARING if it's wrong or society caring if it's wrong.

I don't give a fuck. He knew that shit was wrong which is why he threatened women, silenced them and harassed them. He just had a lot of enablers alone the way who ALSO knew it was wrong and didn't give a fuck.

Yes. Totally.

What I meant is he feels very entitled. And entitlement comes with the feeling of "nothing I do is wrong."

But maybe I just meant entitled. Not sure. But I agree with Rod's post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FingerLakes 10-18-2017 11:07 PM

While the soundbite may make him sound more pathetic than horrific, I thought it was important because of two things.
1)His, and others, methodology to threaten to ruin a person in the business if he doesn't get his way.
2) He straight up, literally, ADMITS to sexually assaulting her the day before this conversation and is like "Well I'm just used it."

--------------
I have platonically slept in the same bed as male friends.
I know straight friends who have as well. After a night of partying who the fuck wants to sleep on a floor?
I know OF two straight friends that would cuddle though I haven't witnessed it IRL myself. Their relationship is incredibly close and they show physical affection all the time though so it's not a bit leap of imagination.

That said, all those brittish dudes in the survey were fucking gay. Undergrads I believe they were? Fucking insecure kids who still think they have to trick/hunt down women.

But also that survey is trash. What kind of population is that to poll? Go ask some people who have been married/in long term relationships. What hell do those kids know about love at all, let alone comparing love from their bros to romantic love.

jbliss 10-19-2017 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FingerLakes (Post 863836)
But also that survey is trash. What kind of population is that to poll? Go ask some people who have been married/in long term relationships. What hell do those kids know about love at all, let alone comparing love from their bros to romantic love.

Agreed. 40-something, married, straight male here. I've never seen this behavior from any of my straight, male friends who "love each other like brothers." 1-2 second "bro-hug" hello/goodbye seems to be about the limit. And everyone seems OK with that. If I showed up at a straight buddy's house for an afternoon of watching sports-go-sports on TV to find him spooning with another straight buddy on the couch, I'd have...questions.

FingerLakes 10-19-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbliss (Post 863839)
1-2 second "bro-hug" hello/goodbye seems to be about the limit. And everyone seems OK with that. .

Oh no, I didn't mean the physical displays, just the fact that they orally said, according to the poll, that they "love their bros more." Or I bet the poll was like "Which do you love more: Spending time with your totally cool bros or spending time with the girl you're currently dating." fuck this poll

I'm down for big long hugs and head rubs and I love a massage party (my back hurts all the time and I give good massages!)

rodimusprime 10-23-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Girl (Post 863830)
Yes. Totally.

What I meant is he feels very entitled. And entitlement comes with the feeling of "nothing I do is wrong."

But maybe I just meant entitled. Not sure. But I agree with Rod's post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely see where you're coming from. Entitled is the perfect word for it. He knows it's wrong but he and the industry think powerful men are supposed to be able to do "wrong" things and go unpunished.

Enunciated Piffle 10-23-2017 01:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's Halloween. Harvey Weinsteins a monster. Can we have a poll?

Does Weinstein resemble Frankenstein?

littlp 10-31-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodimusprime (Post 863829)

I agree with all of this. I'm way behind on shows but wanted to comment...Rod already did a great job :)

The issue is that these people don't care that it is wrong and because he has all of the money and power, he can do whatever the fuck he wants without ramifications...until recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk