Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you hear a difference in Keith since he stopped drinking?
Yes 23 43.40%
No 30 56.60%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree67Likes

Old 10-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

My wife has a BS and MS in health and nutrition and has worked for 10 years in adult and child health coaching, in an elementary school, with an insurance company, with firefighters for annual stress testing, etc. Lots of rural areas mostly. In short, people really have no clue about nutrition. Now, shame on them for not googling something in modern day, but culturally they don’t know. Sweet Tea, BBQ, and macaroni and cheese is a standard singular meal. The children in the elementary school in the rural town, many of them had never seen common fruits and vegetables in their life. The Principal of the school thought Sunny Delight was healthy.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

In the South?

Do they get different television?
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
In the South?

I’m always blown away by the ignorance as well, but it seems to be there. Earlier this week, a grown adult coworker of mine, actually said to me, “I don’t understand why you’re not eating the chips, they’re just potatoes with a little salt and oil.”

My wife has had multiple clients tell her that they’re eating healthy now because they started eating vegetables, which turned out to be either red beans and rice, corn on the cob, or fried okra.
Keith and Scorpion like this.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
In the South?

Yes.
They get Hee Haw and Andy Griffith. And that cooking lady who hates black people. Paula Butterface.
Keith and Scorpion like this.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
But they have the same internet I guess.
Google only works if you type it in to search for it.

All they look up and watch is Fox News and ESPN. Oh and Guns Girls and God. Not a whole lot of googling “how to eat healthy”.
Keith likes this.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
And about football.
Isn't it in your country that especially black boys are into football ( I'm a European AND dont care about sports)?
I read 70% of the players are black.
So this is an area where they can have more success than in other parts of the economy, it's not like 70% of the CEOs are black.

So young black boys want to be pro players because it's a possibility to succeed and make money, easier for them then other paths. And this also means success and money for their families.
And now we don't care about their brain damage? Hm.....

This is why I was in my feelings the whole show...
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

There is a lot of assumptions being made about access to information.

A large part of the southern population is poor and rural.

I've worked with people who can't afford internet, don't own computers and have cracked flip phones for cell phones.

The kind of people who when I suggested a particular goodwill for jeans said "that place is too expensive"... The jeans are $3.50 a pair.

Poor people don't have the privilege of time to research topics like football brain damage and nutrition. They are too busy working 60hr weeks for pennies.

Time for researching and for thinking about things other than survival is a privilege.

You go to a doctor only when you think you might die and then you do whatever he tells you.

My hometown has the highest number of NFL recruits in the country. Half are private school white boys with all the privilege in the world. The other half come from extreme poverty.

"Just leave" isn't an option for people without means. That's made clear everytime there is a hurricane and the most poverished areas have the highest death tolls.

And the dumbass thing you have where you think someone who has been personally affected by something can't have an unbiased conversation about it is absurd. "you think I'm calling your xyz dumb" it's way too similar to what people say to minorities for me to not think it's bullshit. "you cant be an impartial juror/judge because you are black and this involves race"... Yeah, cause someone who has never experienced racism is obviously the most unbiased about race... Of course they will believe racist things happens and see all the sides.

Just ugh to this whole episode tbh.
Miosio likes this.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

My white privilege told me what foods are unhealthy? Alright.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

Also diets don't work (work less that 95% of the time) and actually cause people to gain weight. And the small amount of people who actually able to sustain weight loss from a diet have a higher rate of mental health issues that result from dedication needed to maintain. (higher rate does not mean, everyone)

The research is there but medicine is much slower than research. Doctor still continue to prescribe diets because alternatives like intuitive and mindful eating are brand new (research from within the last decade). However, there are studies that show that prescribing weight loss actually causes weight gain, so there's that.

Traditional diet method don't work because they only take into account your body's cellular metabolism needed for function, they do not take into account human psychology or neurobiology. Your brain runs the show, you have to cater to it for weight maintenance. Restriction diets like low carb and low fat are only asking for weight gain and psychological symptoms like depression, anxiety, and feelings sorry for yourself when you inevitably give in to your brains signals to binge on whatever you've been restricting.

If you are interested, it's an interesting new field of both research and activism.

This is what people 30 years from now are going to call us stupid for. "They thought diets actually worked." "They even tried to disguise restricted eating (aka dieting) with words like 'healthy lifestyle' and 'whole foods'" "they connected people's morality to being able to shut out their body's natural hunger and craving signals"
The Girl likes this.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

The irony is the people we’re talking about are trying to lose weight but it’s so tricky they’re GAINING weight. My goodness.
Scorpion likes this.