Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who did you agree with more?
Keith 23 48.94%
Everybody else 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree160Likes

Old 10-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

To me, this debate over diet is entirely a class discussion, which then bleeds into white privilege.

Of course lower class Americans are comprised of a lot of visible minorities. But it is by far not ONLY non-whites. So to make the connection to white privilege isn't entirely wrong, but it's an extra step -- a step that completely eliminates the poor white people who also can't afford healthy food and may not have the nutritional education they deserve.

I think that's why some people have an issue with Chemda simply labelling this a race issue. It's not. To call it one undermines that actual problem here, which is totally counterproductive to improving people's eating habits or at least giving them the financial means to improve their diets themselves.
Jameira and amnesiac like this.

Last edited by eoguy; 10-30-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoguy View Post
To me, this debate over diet is entirely a class discussion, which then bleeds into white privilege.

Of course lower class Americans are comprised of a lot of visible minorities. But it is by far not ONLY non-whites. So to make the connection to white privilege isn't entirely wrong, but it's an extra step -- a step that completely eliminates the poor white people who also can't afford healthy food and may not have the nutritional education they deserve.

I think that's why some people have an issue with Chemda simply labelling this a race issue. It's not. To call it one undermines that actual problem here, which is totally counterproductive to improving people's eating habits or at least giving them the financial means to improve their diets themselves.
Including race in the discussion does not erase white people. No one said "only non-whites" in any of the threads or on the show.

Push back on including race in talks about socioeconomic status is common but can be harmful to change.

If we solve poverty for the most disenfranchised among us then we solve it for us all.

If we get to the point where poor trans brown/black disabled fat people don't have to worry about health disparity. Then we'll know we've solved the problem.

No one will forget about white people. Most research on poverty is on poor white people. Poor white people are the focus of every election. Poor white people will benefit from whatever solutions come.

But if we focus only on poor white people. Once they get what they need, everyone else will be ignored/forgotten.

Think of affirmative action as an example. It was created because of education disparities in black neighborhoods. Because black students weren't being prepared for entrance exams as well as white students. Turns out the main benefactor of affirmative action are white women.

Last edited by Mermaid; 10-30-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

I voted Keith would stay sober...

More than anything because deep down he wants to prove people wrong & how easy it is for him to be sober....
Apia and Mermaid like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post

Race is not connected to.poverty in countries where everyone is of the same race.
So true. My fiancé is Nigerian and I have a lot of island friends and that is very true in those places. Because most everyone is black. The next separation is class. The haves and the have nots. Sooooo bringing this back to the original gripe in those situations class and all the perks that come with it would allow for an education in what you should and shouldn’t eat to be healthy.
Apia likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:25 AM   #35 (permalink)

I can't stand when the privilege talk comes up with people and they say 'but i had it hard too.' Ari Shaffir and one of his guests recently were complaining that they didn't get where they are in comedy because of white privilege, it was because they worked so hard. It's got nothing to do with how hard your life was. It's about what is your life like being white compared to if you weren't? They think they had it hard? Well it would have been harder if you weren't a white male. Simple. Shut up.

I find the part where Keith thinks he just somehow absorbed the right info and worked it all out and he would have anyway no matter where he was thing to be so ridiculous. One of the best way to change someones opinion is to give them one on one time with someone who has had a personal experience (look at the politicians who only change their mind about gay rights when someone in their family comes out) which Keith has been doing 5 days a week for 12 years. If you don't think that is the MAIN reason you have changed you are kidding yourself. I have never enjoyed listening to any KATG episodes before show 700 as you are such a different person it sounds like a different podcast to me.
Scorpion, amnesiac and Mermaid like this.

https://myspace.com/almostapathy/music/albums
Old 10-31-2017, 12:31 AM   #36 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That is a good point. All those nutrition experts we’ve gotten lessons from on this show...
Apia likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameira View Post
Yup this is done in a lot of urban areas in NYC and other cities
Having a small garden of herbs and vegetables is a great idea. Not everyone has the knowledge and patience to wait months for a carrot and spend the time and money growing them. Water cost $ and you have to keep away pests and weeds. It sounds like a great idea but the pay off is longer term then someone who didn't eat yesterday is usually willing to consider. Also, here in Michigan this doesn't work all year round and come spring it has to be restarted. I know my mother had a garden but when she died I didn't have the knowledge or the willpower to restart it after winter.
Mermaid likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #38 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
For those people it's not possible. Of course. What do you think I will tell you, they should grow a garden on the bus?
A lot of us are worried about these people and want to find solutions that will work for them.
Scorpion, Apia and Mermaid like this.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #39 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
You want me to say " they can't do anything, the solution must be provided by the government"
And I say try to make the best of your situation, as far as possible. It's your body and it's worth it.
You are not lazy or stupid, try to improve what you can. Would it be better if you had a supermarket with fresh stuff in your city? Of course. But you can't do anything about it.
I think part of the problem here in the US is that people think they deserve things. 'What because I'm poor I don't deserve a Twinkie, I should buy carrot seeds instead and spend my free time farming for food." I know I have these kinds of thoughts from time to time (but from a much more privileged position). I know a few people who took money out of a retirement fund to by a TV. Being short sited is not a class or race division that's for sure. I'm not sure what my point is now except, that a culture of consumption leaves the poor feeling disenfranchised and helps keep them poor by promoting consumption of goods over healthy living and a fat savings account. This reinforces the poverty trap. Add expensive upper education that leaves people with massive debt, no guarantee of a career, and a culture that has promoted the need for university degree's and put down trade skills and hard work in a factory as low class. Add racism, bigotry, Jim Crow, redlining, systematic criminalization of minorities through anti-drug propaganda, things like the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and any number of other horrible policies and practices and it is not easy to resolve any problem here in the USA. Many people don't trust doctors and the medical community and will often mention the Tuskegee study. But I guess it's "Time to make America Great Again", so now we have to start all over.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #40 (permalink)

I think when it comes to poor people buying things for instant gratification it is a combination of "poor people don't have time for investments. They have to eat today" and mental health.

If you've been working hard all week, barely staying above water on your bills. And it comes down to your last $50 and you have to choose between using it all to pay your phone bill or coming up short to buy a Reeses cup in order to feel some joy today. Most people would buy the reeses cup and send a partial payment for the phone bill.

Is it the "smart" or "best" decision. Idk. It depends on how much the person really needed to feel that joy.
Scorpion likes this.