Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2744: Privilege (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2744-privilege-20760/)

Mattman 11-02-2017 08:35 PM

There is a difference between Privilege and Privileged.

If you are privileged, you have things - wealth, fortune, position etc.

If you have privilege it means that you get things because of who you are, or what you are.

Being privileged is a fact of life, some have stuff and some do not, the Republicans in your country will make sure that gets worse. Having privilege is a modern evil of society that should be eradicated. Of course the Republicans in your country .....

Jameira 11-04-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion (Post 864215)
Having a small garden of herbs and vegetables is a great idea. Not everyone has the knowledge and patience to wait months for a carrot and spend the time and money growing them. Water cost $ and you have to keep away pests and weeds. It sounds like a great idea but the pay off is longer term then someone who didn't eat yesterday is usually willing to consider. Also, here in Michigan this doesn't work all year round and come spring it has to be restarted. I know my mother had a garden but when she died I didn't have the knowledge or the willpower to restart it after winter.

I think you misunderstood my comment. It wasn’t a hypothetical idea. This ACTUALLY occurs in the hood in Connecticut. In the poverty stricken low-income neighborhoods I grew up in in CT. I in fact see one community garden everyday from my train headed into work. And it flourishes. NYC is a hop skip and a jump from me and I see them there too. I’ve seen a few in Harlem.

What is more sad is the assumption by many that low income people can’t do this. That they aren’t able. Luckily they didn’t consult with you all when they had the idea. You all would have given them more reasons why not versus whomever set them up with the land and empowered them to start and continue their gardens.

Mermaid 11-04-2017 12:38 PM

Urban Farming is a charity that has community gardens in urban area across the US and in some other countries.

These gardens have staff for upkeep and teaching agriculture education tho.

What they do seems black panther inspired. Where the residents just come by for vegetables when they need them and kids can come learn about nutrition and stuff.

I'm sure there are people who do grow their own food tho.

I think the point is, no one who lives in a city should *have* to be a farmer to have access to vegetables.

I'm almost certain I just wouldn't eat vegetables if I had to grow them myself. And I have literally no excuse other than laziness.

Enunciated Piffle 11-04-2017 01:04 PM

I heard about Ron Finley on Joe Rogan Podcast #587

Urban Farming is getting big and catching on. There's a great one on Detroit resurgence involving this but I forget title.

Enunciated Piffle 11-04-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 864304)
easy - didn't look at any of your links not even the link with info for people who aren't scientifically inclined

I did but not all.

I should have posted earlier but I'd like to make sure Mermaid understands something. Mermaid. I appreciate your posts. It's awesome when people are brave enough to post their stance. I only hope you are open to new info as well.

I've got a ton of reading. I don't have time for all links. I have downloaded your Food Psych podcast (Intuitive Eating, Health at every yada yada etc thingy) Cuz that's how I learn stuff - podcasts and youtube videos lol

I'm just more inclined toward time-restricted eating, (cheating with coffee) and yoga and all other things YMCA related. That's where I'm at. Ever since I quit drugs I've had horrendous food addiction. It's really hard. Personally, I had to be fat shamed to get motivated. I had always been sickly skinny and a 8 month old beer gut/ fat skinny, (because it evolved over time) was news to me.

Mermaid 11-04-2017 06:38 PM

On episode #127 of Food Pysch she does kind of a FAQ.

Because she is a dietician has a lot of listeners and clients with all kinds of eating disorders that listen to her show so she bleeps out all numbers.

Which was weird for me at first until I realized why she was doing it. Don't let that turn you off.

Jameira 11-05-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle (Post 864365)
I heard about Ron Finley on Joe Rogan Podcast #587

Urban Farming is getting big and catching on. There's a great one on Detroit resurgence involving this but I forget title.

That was an awesome video!! love it! It brings the whole community together in maintaining it and creating more.

porky2468 11-08-2017 05:47 AM

It's not often that I agree with Keith over Chemda but I think he was bang on today when he was saying listen to your body. I get Chemda is playing devil's advocate, but saying that it takes years to notice an effect of cigarettes, bad food, etc is silly. You can definitely feel the effect of "bad stuff" some people either don't know what it means (and therefore have to pay more attention to figure it out) or choose to ignore it.

I've prob repeated what's already been said, but was listening so wanted to chime in.