Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2744: Privilege (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2744-privilege-20760/)

Enunciated Piffle 11-01-2017 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
James Gandolfini was a big, BIG promoter of intuitive eating. He saw, he ate.

The only thing I can't understand is how this man of privilege did not understand the SNAP laws of obesity. Sometimes I wonder if obesity doesn't simply involve over-eating and not enough exercise :confused:

PS. Does an intuitive diet involve wearing a lot of black? Intuitively, I feel this is so.

Mermaid 11-01-2017 09:16 PM

For lurkers who actually want to learn more:

Intuitive eating is inversely associated with body weight status in the general population-based NutriNet-Santé study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26991542

Intuitive eating: associations with physical activity motivation and BMI.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24459999

Relationships between intuitive eating and health indicators: literature review.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23962472

Size acceptance and intuitive eating improve health for obese, female chronic dieters.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15942543

***RESULTS:
Cognitive restraint decreased in the health at every size group and increased in the diet group, indicating that both groups implemented their programs. Attrition (6 months) was high in the diet group (41%), compared with 8% in the health at every size group. Fifty percent of both groups returned for 2-year evaluation. Health at every size group members maintained weight, improved in all outcome variables, and sustained improvements. Diet group participants lost weight and showed initial improvement in many variables at 1 year; weight was regained and little improvement was sustained.

CONCLUSIONS:
The health at every size approach enabled participants to maintain long-term behavior change; the diet approach did not. Encouraging size acceptance, reduction in dieting behavior, and heightened awareness and response to body signals resulted in improved health risk indicators for obese women.***

These types of results are pretty consistent for all intuitive eating studies at the moment.

Adding a link with info for people who aren't scientifically inclined:

http://www.refinery29.com/intuitive-eating-myths

Scorpion 11-02-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid (Post 864254)
Yeah!

Didn't work for you the first 50 times!? Try again, maybe it'll work this time!

This time is different, right? It's always different this time around...

Maybe if you develop orthorexia you can actually keep it up!

I will try again. I will succeed you only fail when you quite trying.

Scorpion 11-02-2017 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia (Post 864259)
Scorpion is a white male, so....
Privilege party!

Way to blow up my spot Apia, now everyone knows. ;)

Scorpion 11-02-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 864263)
Well I certainly don't see how.

I truly don't know how to take this or what to say. If you weren't so funny you might be hurting my feelings.

Enunciated Piffle 11-02-2017 06:44 AM

Eating less. Moving more. This is a fool-proof way to lose weight. The human body works the same as it did a thousand years ago. Only back then, sugar was found in fruit. Sugar tells your brain it's delicious because it's the quickest fastest way to load up on energy. So your body seeks it like crack. We still have this wiring which sucks because Now sugar is everywhere. Worse still it's in liquid form - soda.

The human body is also used to fasting. Periods of time would go by where foods were not hunted or gathered. Now we eat all throughout our day. Sitting at computers with very little movement. Any food is stored as fat. Back in the day, the fat would get you through the no food/ hunt and gather/ fasting times.

I don't think promoting NOT restricting your diet or NOT exercising is responsible. Also the benefits of not carrying all that weight, guilt, and shame is tremendous. Your mood is better. Sex is better. Everything is better.

Look at any fit asshole at the gym. I know I do. Why are they grinning like idiots? I mean, it's a sweaty-red faced grin but nonetheless. These people are high. A natural high and it lasts ALL throughout the day. As opposed to over-eating, feeling kinda good while chewing, then bloated and awful as soon as food is all gone. I know. I've tried.

Ultimately anyone can lose weight. I think that should be the message. Anything resembling "eat what ya want - don't exercise" is horseshit and I ain't buying it.

Enunciated Piffle 11-02-2017 06:54 AM

To any lurkers posting a buh-billion links, (like this is homework) and not a comedy podcast forum, I present the following video.

Which in all likelihood you won't watch for the same reasons I'm not clicking your links. But still :D

Mermaid 11-02-2017 11:10 AM

How did you interpret intuitive eating to mean "don't exercise"?
How did you interpret intuitive eating to mean "overeating"?

How can you be so against something that you obviously don't even know what it is and are unwilling to learn about?

Also, your synopsis of metabolism and its historical role is both incomplete and in some parts flat out incorrect.

What you just explained will soon be viewed as the "old way of thought" on nutrition.

I'm not speaking from a place that is ignorant to evolution, metabolism and neuroscience. [I'm literally a biochemist (biochemistry = the study of metabolism) that's currently studying neuroscience.]

I understand the rejection. But I think if you actually took the time to learn about what I'm saying you'll see why it will soon be seen as the "old way".

If losing weight worked was as simple as "just eating less and moving more" then everyone would be an optimal weight cause who hasn't gone on a diet or "lifestyle change". There is a reason people fall off and gain back the weight plus more. And its not as simple as "we are crackheads for sugar and its everywhere".

When children are raised in environments where there are no "bad" foods and all foods are in abundance (both "good" and "bad"), they will pick a healthy balance of the foods available and maintain a healthy weight. Why? Because our bodies do a great job of craving exactly what our cells need.

But that signaling gets screwed up when we start telling kids they can't have certain foods. Now psychology comes into play. Now dopamine drops and craving start forming for the restricted foods. We all know the easiest way to get someone to do something is to tell them not to. Next time that kid is exposed to those forbidden foods they are going to go crazy, possibly even to the point of sickness.

Kids also do a great job of eating until they are full and then stopping. Toddlers will literally push the food away or throw it. Why? Cause when you are full your body's natural signaling causes food to taste worse than it did when you were hungry.

These natural signaling cues are lost in a lot of adults. Not because we just lose them over time.But because all our lives we've been told xyz food is "bad" or forbidden. And a lot of people stop eating when they think they should (like at a certain calorie amount or serving size or burger size, etc..) rather than based on their body's fullness cues.

Also, turns out your body know what body weight is optimal for you. I know its crazy. But being too large or too small is not optimal for survival. Your body knows that. Its not interested in excess energy for the sake of excess energy, because that impedes your ability to both mate (lower fertility) and run from/fight predators.

Lanfear 11-02-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid (Post 864303)
How did you interpret intuitive eating to mean "don't exercise"?
How did you interpret intuitive eating to mean "overeating"?

easy - didn't look at any of your links not even the link with info for people who aren't scientifically inclined

Enunciated Piffle 11-02-2017 11:26 AM

I disagree your body knows best. Especially when it comes to obese people who clearly have a food addiction. People are literally eating themselves to death.

Mermaid if this intuitive diet makes ya happy - more power to you. I've said my peace.