Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who did you agree with more?
Keith 23 48.94%
Everybody else 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree160Likes

Old 10-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2744: Privilege

Landmark; KATG Polls; Keith’s weigh-in; access to nutritional information and white privilege

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
Archimedes_Screw likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unfortunately in Georgia... tomato sauce was legally declared a vegetable so that the state could save money on school lunches and offer ketchup as a veggie substitute and claim that pizza is a complete meal (with the pizza sauce being the vegetable)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I don't think that families are confused that they can't eat ice cream for dinner. Instead they're serving fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn. Look! Two different types of vegetables! Or they do serve a salad...with a nice coating of ranch dressing. But a salad is salad, so it must be healthy. It takes time, effort, and money to be able to experiment with healthier foods. Add to that that there are rural communities where the grocery store has a horrible selection of fresh produce (where I grew up) or urban food deserts, and it makes it even harder to learn how to eat better. It's hard.

And diets fail, because a diet is not the same as a lifestyle change. Diets are where you have to follow strict rules, and once you don't follow that diet anymore, it becomes apparent that they didn't actually learn how to be healthier, so you gain all that weight back. A lifestyle change is a permanent change where you eat healthier and move more. Any huge change in life is difficult. And here I am getting pissed off every time apple updates the iphone, so how can I judge someone for not making sweeping changes about every part of their life?
Lanfear and Mermaid like this.

I went to school in Manhattan KS and did not see my fair share of titties.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
... ranch...
hhhhmmmmmmmmm ranch...
Apia likes this.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Chemda did a good job of articulating that the nutrition privilege is really about freedom from stress. Less healthy instant food and anything high in the sugar/salt/fat does give a quick hit of 'feel good' for a moment. It's understandable why people use food this way and everything about modern America makes unhealthy living the path of least resistance. Yeah our society is broken. You can choose if you want to fight it and make yourself healthy or fall into feeling like garbage. Why would it be easy? Nature itself is a struggle. Fighting to stay healthy in modern society still sounds a lot easier than going off into the woods to live in nature and have to hunt for meat and chop wood to stay warm and be fucked the minute a rattlesnake bites your dumb ass.

God I want a Twinkie right now...
Scorpion, Apia and Mermaid like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
And the good thing about rural areas, land is cheap. You
Can grow your own vegetables. Especially if you don't have much money it's an option. Nor everyone works full time or 3 jobs.
From my polish time I know what kind of mushrooms you can eat not as drugs but for proteins. This was very useful knowledge.
Some of you have what I would call " rich country" privilege.
Poor people are in your opinion fat because if bad food. This is a step up from poor people starving because of NO food.
There is a term here in the US "Urban Desert" and Detroit is one (I live in a suburb of Detroit). There are no super markets in Detroit, the only way to get food 7 days a week is to buy it at a liqueur store, Bodega or as we call them here party stores. It's expensive and not a lot of healthy choices.
We have a farmers market in Detroit on Saturday all year round but what is at the market changes with the season. They have Tuesday and Sunday open only Jun-Sep. AH probably more than you need to know...
My point is getting healthy food to eat involves a using the bus system, our laughable elevated train or a lot of walking if you don't have a car. Now this is the Motor City so you might rightly imagine our public transit system is, lets just say, not the best. Lets just say we are not getting any awards for public transit here. ah again too much...
The point is there is nothing easy about eating healthy if you are poor and live it an urban desert. I don't know how you fix it, I don't know enough to talk about how it happened I'm sure there are not nice things. But I do recognize that eating healthy starts with having a choice and that is not only about money or education.
Los, rdelfin and Mermaid like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

That urban food desert thing is really freaky...farming may not be practical for people in that situation, or they are just overwhelmed learning how to do it, but more and more people are getting into urban farming...it takes some time to get results though. Amazon.com does deliver things like rice, cous cous, canned vegetables, which isn't perfect but healthier than what I imagine they'd have at a liquor store...
Scorpion, Apia and Mermaid like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
And you can use Amazon for healthy goods that don't need to be kept cold like black beans, tofu, almonds, whole pasta, coconut milk....
Ha we thought the same thing.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I want to note that in the aforementioned thread (titled "Vice") Keith was who brought up *white* privilege in relation to food. Probably a Freudian slip.

I had just said privilege until that point.

Also, there are major health disparities between races due to differences in access information, food and healthcare.

[Maps are of prevalence of self reported obesity]

White:

Black:

There are also health and obesity disparities between geographic locations (the North and South/Midwest)

Old 10-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
And you can use Amazon for healthy goods that don't need to be kept cold like black beans, tofu, almonds, whole pasta, coconut milk....
Amazon only works if you have a computer and internet. I'm talking about the poor who are at a nutritional disadvantage.

Also, consider generations of folks grow up eating poorly due to low income or nutritional food scarcity and the problem perpetuates.

This is really a complicated issue with a lot of issues that are different depending on where you live how much money you have and what your parents learned about what food is good. To some people just having any food is all they can think about now is this food is good for me, It's all good even if your mac n' cheese has florescent orange powder for cheese. I wonder if that what Trump uses for tanning powder...
Mermaid likes this.

Last edited by Scorpion; 10-30-2017 at 02:25 PM.