Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who did you agree with more?
Keith 23 48.94%
Everybody else 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree160Likes

Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Notice how this income map looks mighty similar...

Map too large to embed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

We have to take into account different perceptions of poor/low income.

I've had someone tell me they grew up poor, lived on a farm and their daddy raised and sold cattle for a living. Oh and she rode horses for fun....that means they owned land, owned a business, and had enough discretionary income to own and care for horses.

I've also heard people say they grew up poor but they had four-wheelers and owned an unnecessary amount of guns and their dads had free time to go hunting on the weekends.

Some grow up "poor" but never had to wonder if they'd have dinner that night.

These are very different experiences of "poor" than what a lot of people who live in impoverished areas in both the rural south and urban communities have.

No Apia, everyone does not have access to the internet. Everyone does not have enough money for a bank account to be able to buy things online. Everyone is not able to use Amazon. Not everyone has access to a gym or even a safe enough neighborhood to take a walk outside. Heck, everyone doesn't have time to look into all these different methods or think about the nutrition in their food. Some people are just happy to eat. And the cheapest food is the worst for you.

If you haven't eaten all day a Twinkie will always taste good and it will always make you feel better.
The Girl, Los, Scorpion and 3 others like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

The thing that Keith did, where he ate what he perceives as healthy food all day and then binged at night

...that's one of the reasons why diets don't work.

That's not just a personal screw up or lack of "will power", it's biology and psychology at work.

That's the most common response to restricted eating (dieting).

Its sometimes called a restrict-binge cycle. Some people are able to hold out in the restrict phase longer than others (weeks, months, years).

When the binge happens it is often way more calorie dense than if you had just eaten whatever it is you wanted to begin with. Resulting in weight gain...which triggers you to want to restrict (diet) again...etc, etc
Los, Scorpion, Rabbit and 1 others like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
What about creating a veggi garden? Seems more fun than all this bus business
Yup this is done in a lot of urban areas in NYC and other cities
Keith, Scorpion and Apia like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

While listening to this episode all i kept saying is that none of this has to do with being black or white and white privilege. This is a class issue. Which is why white people and minorities can relate to this conversation. Because typically with money you can get access to better healthier food. Now that does not mean that because you have money means you won't be obese and make poor food decisions BUT you will likely know but just choose to do otherwise. And yes we can say which race primarily occupies the middle to upper class but that distinction doesn't matter in this argument. Just look at the stats of who is primarily on welfare - (lower class), white people. So it is safe to assume that these people lack income, are lower class and lack access to healthy food. A class issue.

We should also note that another reason why people don't learn about their bad choices is because another thing that comes with the lower class is lack of adequate healthcare. If they were steadily going to the doctor annually like privileged (not white privilege)people are then they may find out from blood work that their numbers are out of whack as a result of their poor eating and their weight is too high. In that convo alone they will get some education from their doctor.

All in all i really think this is a class thing (specifically about not knowing what is good for you and not good for you).

Last edited by Jameira; 10-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm not interested in separating the two.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Jemeira I think you are right. And I believe that often black people and other poc have less possibilities and therefore they tend to belong to lower classes. But everyone in lower classes has this problem.
exactly!! What's interesting is i was raised in a single parent household all of that jazz. I would say we were upper lower class LOL since my mom worked and we had insurance. But we were definitely living a low frills lifestyle. I hadn't even thought of this in my previous comment but we actually started eating healthier by way of my insurance/doctor example. We were eating fried chicken and all of that then one year for a physical it came back that I had high cholesterol. From that day forward chicken was always baked and the skin removed. i'm a gotdamn adult now and i eat the skin! lol and my blood work is fine LOL
Scorpion and Apia like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Well this might work for America but not for countries with no or close to no POC. Our lower class is made of people with no education and is pretty white.
Obviously. But this is an American based podcast. When they say "South" and "North" we know they are taking about regions of the US. They don't need to explain because almost all the conversations are about America.

I am aware that Europe exists. Thanks.
Lanfear likes this.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
The only black mom in the daycare of my son is from Nigeria, speaks perfectly German and English, raises get son Jaiden in both languages and has a good job with the us military in Wiesbaden. She drives a nice white car is cool and friendly and 100% middle class.
Jesus be a fence...
Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

What a convoluted discussion to try and stick the label of white privilege and even gender onto this discussion...