Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who did you agree with more?
Keith 23 48.94%
Everybody else 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree160Likes

Old 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Well this might work for America but not for countries with no or close to no POC. Our lower class is made of people with no education and is pretty white.
Obviously. But this is an American based podcast. When they say "South" and "North" we know they are taking about regions of the US. They don't need to explain because almost all the conversations are about America.

I am aware that Europe exists. Thanks.
Lanfear likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
The only black mom in the daycare of my son is from Nigeria, speaks perfectly German and English, raises get son Jaiden in both languages and has a good job with the us military in Wiesbaden. She drives a nice white car is cool and friendly and 100% middle class.
Jesus be a fence...
Old 10-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Jesus be a fence...
I don't understand. I mean by that she is the black woman I mostly see and talk.to. That's who I imagine first when I think about black women because I don't know so many.

The other one was working in a bakery and loved my cute dog. These are the two black women I talked to last month. ( because there were no more black women here)
Scorpion likes this.

Last edited by Apia; 10-30-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

What a convoluted discussion to try and stick the label of white privilege and even gender onto this discussion...
Old 10-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #35 (permalink)

The conversation always seems to get "convoluted" when marginalized groups point out their differences. Funny how that works.

Even when adjusting for income there is still health disparities between races due to differences in access, education and stressor.

Gender only got brought in cause men do in fact lose weight easier than women due to muscle mass and hormone differences.

Also because its harder to try to explain privilege to a white man than a white woman. White women have more experience with discrimination and loss of privilege, therefore it's just easier to make the connection.
Los and Scorpion like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I don't understand. I mean by that she is the black woman I mostly see and talk.to. That's who I imagine first when I think about black women because I don't know so many.

The other one was working in a bakery and loved my cute dog. These are the two black women I talked to last month. ( because there were no more black women here)
My dear.
We are the silly foreigners on here with the European privilege of healthcare, good public schools and an okish government that is not currently fucking up terribly.

Yes even you growing up in Eastern Europe. And not having bananas is not comparable to famine in the 90s in North Korea. It just isn't.

Keith is not the only one that is ignorant about having privilege.
Scorpion likes this.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
The conversation always seems to get "convoluted" when marginalized groups point out their differences. Funny how that works.
You’re right, that must be it.
Keith and Scorpion like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #38 (permalink)

It was just an example. Life wasn't easy in Poland ok not like North Korea, but when I was born we lived with 6 people in a two room apartment without a bathroom. A toilett was only in the hall and was shared with the neighbors. Add political oppression and the real danger of landing in prison for speaking up. No possibility to travel. Ban of foreign tv and radio. Of course we had no telephone. Extremely pollution of the environment and diseases because if it. Being forced to participate in political manifestations or face problems. No birth control besides illegal abortions.

When you this was privilege I find it interesting
Keith, Scorpion and shoebootie like this.

Last edited by Apia; 10-30-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #39 (permalink)

And food only to buy with food marks. Restricted.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #40 (permalink)

It never fails.

*Someone brings up privilege*

Person with said privilege: I too have experienced hardships! *gives whole life story*

Lemme try to illustrate how this looks:

Person in wheelchair: Differently able people get paid less and get less job opportunities. Able bodied people have privilege.

Able bodied person: What are you talking about?! It's not easy for anyone to get a job! I get paid pennies! It has nothing to do with my body!

Able bodied person #2: The economy is bad for everyone. You are just convoluting the conversation by bringing up disability discrimination. Let's just focus on the topic at hand.
Los, Lanfear and amnesiac like this.

Last edited by Mermaid; 10-30-2017 at 05:13 PM.