Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who did you agree with more?
Keith 23 48.94%
Everybody else 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree160Likes

Old 10-31-2017, 12:25 AM   #61 (permalink)

I can't stand when the privilege talk comes up with people and they say 'but i had it hard too.' Ari Shaffir and one of his guests recently were complaining that they didn't get where they are in comedy because of white privilege, it was because they worked so hard. It's got nothing to do with how hard your life was. It's about what is your life like being white compared to if you weren't? They think they had it hard? Well it would have been harder if you weren't a white male. Simple. Shut up.

I find the part where Keith thinks he just somehow absorbed the right info and worked it all out and he would have anyway no matter where he was thing to be so ridiculous. One of the best way to change someones opinion is to give them one on one time with someone who has had a personal experience (look at the politicians who only change their mind about gay rights when someone in their family comes out) which Keith has been doing 5 days a week for 12 years. If you don't think that is the MAIN reason you have changed you are kidding yourself. I have never enjoyed listening to any KATG episodes before show 700 as you are such a different person it sounds like a different podcast to me.
Scorpion, amnesiac and Mermaid like this.

https://myspace.com/almostapathy/music/albums
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:31 AM   #62 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That is a good point. All those nutrition experts we’ve gotten lessons from on this show...
Apia likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:31 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
They work two jobs and spend two hours a day traveling to and from their job. Now you want them to grow a garden?
For those people it's not possible. Of course. What do you think I will tell you, they should grow a garden on the bus?
I'm sure not everyone does this. Not everyone in rural areas is busy with work 80 hours a week. I was also told rural people eat bad stuff because all the stupid tv and advertising. If everyone was so busy with work that they only were home for sleep, no one would watch tv. And this would be a solution itself, because those people were free from tv brain washing.
I'm sure there are people who have no job or retired people in these areas.

You want me to say " they can't do anything, the solution must be provided by the government"
And I say try to make the best of your situation, as far as possible. It's your body and it's worth it.
You are not lazy or stupid, try to improve what you can. Would it be better if you had a supermarket with fresh stuff in your city? Of course. But you can't do anything about it.
Keith likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #64 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameira View Post
Yup this is done in a lot of urban areas in NYC and other cities
Having a small garden of herbs and vegetables is a great idea. Not everyone has the knowledge and patience to wait months for a carrot and spend the time and money growing them. Water cost $ and you have to keep away pests and weeds. It sounds like a great idea but the pay off is longer term then someone who didn't eat yesterday is usually willing to consider. Also, here in Michigan this doesn't work all year round and come spring it has to be restarted. I know my mother had a garden but when she died I didn't have the knowledge or the willpower to restart it after winter.
Mermaid likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #65 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
For those people it's not possible. Of course. What do you think I will tell you, they should grow a garden on the bus?
A lot of us are worried about these people and want to find solutions that will work for them.
Scorpion, Apia and Mermaid like this.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #66 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
You want me to say " they can't do anything, the solution must be provided by the government"
And I say try to make the best of your situation, as far as possible. It's your body and it's worth it.
You are not lazy or stupid, try to improve what you can. Would it be better if you had a supermarket with fresh stuff in your city? Of course. But you can't do anything about it.
I think part of the problem here in the US is that people think they deserve things. 'What because I'm poor I don't deserve a Twinkie, I should buy carrot seeds instead and spend my free time farming for food." I know I have these kinds of thoughts from time to time (but from a much more privileged position). I know a few people who took money out of a retirement fund to by a TV. Being short sited is not a class or race division that's for sure. I'm not sure what my point is now except, that a culture of consumption leaves the poor feeling disenfranchised and helps keep them poor by promoting consumption of goods over healthy living and a fat savings account. This reinforces the poverty trap. Add expensive upper education that leaves people with massive debt, no guarantee of a career, and a culture that has promoted the need for university degree's and put down trade skills and hard work in a factory as low class. Add racism, bigotry, Jim Crow, redlining, systematic criminalization of minorities through anti-drug propaganda, things like the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and any number of other horrible policies and practices and it is not easy to resolve any problem here in the USA. Many people don't trust doctors and the medical community and will often mention the Tuskegee study. But I guess it's "Time to make America Great Again", so now we have to start all over.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #67 (permalink)

I think when it comes to poor people buying things for instant gratification it is a combination of "poor people don't have time for investments. They have to eat today" and mental health.

If you've been working hard all week, barely staying above water on your bills. And it comes down to your last $50 and you have to choose between using it all to pay your phone bill or coming up short to buy a Reeses cup in order to feel some joy today. Most people would buy the reeses cup and send a partial payment for the phone bill.

Is it the "smart" or "best" decision. Idk. It depends on how much the person really needed to feel that joy.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That is a good point. All those nutrition experts we’ve gotten lessons from on this show...
You are right Keith. People just want to be unhealthy. They dream of getting diabetes and hypertension.

Everyone is just dumb and lazy. Especially those poor people. They know better, they just don't care about living obviously.

Millions of people in the US all decided at once, some time in the late 80s, to gain weight in unison. Must have been a mass wave of dumb laziness.

The wave is quickly spreading to other countries! Mexico, China and Brazil are experiencing booms in obesity too!

Soon there will be worldwide dumb laziness!

I can't believe the amount of idiots we share the world with. If only they had the willpower and smarts that we have.
Scorpion, Rabbit and Lanfear like this.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #69 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Millions of people in the US all decided at once, some time in the late 80s, to gain weight in unison.
Eureka, you've hit the nail on the head. Clearly this is all the fault of Bill Cosby and his Jello commercials. That fucker was hired by Jello to help clean their image after killing a river by filling it full of animal byproducts and Bill went and convinced millions of Americans that Jello was delicious and good for you.
Mermaid likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #70 (permalink)

I don't doubt at all that there is systemic failure behind this problem. I just think it's more realistic for people to grow their own veggies than for this system to change anytime soon. Michele Obama was a role model but unfortunately that's over. ( her being first lady)