Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you, in fact, taken the time to let out the dogs out?
Yes, I have in fact let the dogs be out and about. 11 50.00%
No, but I could tell you who let the dogs in, thank you. 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree74Likes

Old 11-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
Agreed and generally Ted is pretty awesome from what I heard on other shows.
But a lot of his 'brand' is fighting injustice and from today's show I got the same feeling of him having a huge blindspot when it comes to sexism.

Especially the 'now I'm married I understand' (just imagine how much he will understand if he happens to get a daughter) and 'somebody said rape so I called to mention that's not nice for Pat to have to endure' points rubbed me the wrong way
That's fair. And I think it's fair to call it a blindspot, but unfair to call it fully an act, if that makes sense. I'm in a field oriented towards Social Justice, and I have blindspots. I also don't have real reason to believe he s predatory or abusive around his wife, and trying to control her. He could well be, I have no idea.

I also hate the "I was a piece of shit now I have a wife and I understand women are kindof people too" schtick that many people do.
Scorpion, Lanfear and Apia like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
I don’t get how Ted fell in love, got married, and that’s somehow a bad thing..?

Also I don’t understand the poll. I’m all sorts confused.
Agreed. At their ages (48 & 31, I gather?) it's not that big of an age gap.

Also, I think we have to give these straight cis men some credit for trying. The reckoning is coming and it's scary for them. Everyone isn't as awake as Keith and I thought Ted was polite and thoughtful. He seemed to be receptive to the conversation, not defensive, and even willing to apologize and change his mind about certain things. I still like him.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk'n View Post
Agreed. At their ages (48 & 31, I gather?) it's not that big of an age gap.

Also, I think we have to give these straight cis men some credit for trying. The reckoning is coming and it's scary for them. Everyone isn't as awake as Keith and I thought Ted was polite and thoughtful. He seemed to be receptive to the conversation, not defensive, and even willing to apologize and change his mind about certain things. I still like him.
Yes and I think the credit for trying is unavoidable and a nice thing to do but I also really feel they need a mirror in their faces about the past and pointers on where there is still room for improvement.

(Or maybe I'm just too much brainwashed by 'year end review' period at work)
Scorpion and Mermaid like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

As a long time listener, one who has heard every ep Ted has been on, it’s sad to this response on forums.

I don’t get the pitch forks and torches.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:

(Or maybe I'm just too much brainwashed by 'year end review' period at work)
Interesting. I feel the same.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
As a long time listener, one who has heard every ep Ted has been on, it’s sad to this response on forums.

I don’t get the pitch forks and torches.
And that's why women didn't speak out because one harsher comment and a few more mellow points sound like pitchforks and torches to your fragile male brain my dear piffle.
Keith, The Girl, thirteen and 6 others like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl View Post
I also hate the "I was a piece of shit now I have a wife and I understand women are kindof people too" schtick that many people do.
Is it a shtick, or could it be growth (of a kind)?
The Girl likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
And that's why women didn't speak out because one harsher comment and a few more mellow points sound like pitchforks and torches to your fragile male brain my dear piffle.
Ha! Oh alright

...I still like Ted though...
Lanfear likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm confused at how one can do social justice work while still having such huge gaps in knowledge about sexism.

Especially since the majority of social justice workers are women.

If he moves in those spaces, it just means he has been deliberately ignoring the women around him.

Maybe even calling them for chats when they speak out...
Lanfear and porky2468 like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk'n View Post
Also, I think we have to give these straight cis men some credit for trying. The reckoning is coming and it's scary for them.
Fuck their feelings.

Women have been being raped, harassed, groped, denied opportunities, manipulated, committed suicide because of their treatmen, silenced, gas-lit etc. since the beginning of time.

But since like 20 millionaire men lost their jobs (they'll be fine. They always are.) now suddenly men are having some emotions about it. Not because they actually give a fuck about women but because they are scared someone will call them on their shit.

Fuck their feelings.

It's time to prioritize the feelings of victims.