Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Would you order dog if it was on the menu?
Yes 17 34.69%
No 32 65.31%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree100Likes

Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes_Screw View Post
That's a bit harsh.
Chemda is the queen of not wanting to take medicine and while that's fine for some things I just can't when it comes to anti-vaccine rhetoric.

If the message was - Hennessy researched it and I can't take the vaccine because it interferes with my condition/meds that's fair.
But don't randomly spread that vaccines don't work anyway and contain dangerous ingredients pretty please.

Last edited by Lanfear; 02-15-2018 at 05:19 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
Chemda is the queen of not wanting to take medicine and while that's fine for some things I just can't when it comes to anti-vaccine rhetoric.

If the message was - Hennessy researched it and I can't take the vaccine because it interferes with my condition/meds that's fair.
But don't randomly spread that vaccines don't work anyway and contain dangerous ingredients pretty please.
I wish wish wish there could be a forum in which we could talk about vaccines without the vitriol. Its very unfortunate because there is a lot of legitimate fear (and legitimacy of what is scary to you or I can be different but no less legitimate on either side) around vaccines. What happens is that people who are not comfortable with them do not have a place in which to ask questions or talk about fears (without being completely shit on as if it's the dumbest thing anyone could EVER IMAGINE) end up not getting informed and not getting their fears addressed.

When I asked my child's doctor what to look for in case a particular vaccine had adverse affects on my kid, the doctor said "Oh that won't happen." When I repeated the question three times and got the same answer, I left feeling pissed off and much more untrusting that either the doctor was lying (wtf would that benefit?) or straight up had no idea what the possible side effects could be (I mean for christ sake doctors get pamphlets for this shit how couldn't they know?) and that's scary in and of itself.

Any time the first response is to shit all over someone's decision what you're doing is A)not listening and B)making the decision that theres nothing you could possibly learn.

There are LOTS of reasons why vaccines scare people. Conspiracy and autism is a small chunk of those people.
Bucho, Shanateemanatee and Mermaid like this.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

This conversation is interesting.

I get both sides.

There seems to be a lot of distrust of science because it is not perfect. Millions of children get vaccinated each year, a handful have allergic reactions (or have some other extremely rare condition that cause an adverse reaction). That handful gets the news stories and the blog articles about the dangers of vaccines. Suddenly everyone "knows" a kid who got a shot and xyz happened to them.

Or I see a Facebook meme where someone has used Google to freak themselves out over a chemical being in something without a basic understanding of chemistry. Stuff like "Did you know the NaCl that's in your table salt is also found in Bleach!"

But also, the Tuskegee experiment and unauthorized sterilization and James Marion Sims.

So I get it. People's concerns are valid.

But I also get how exhausting it could get to be bombarded with questions based on conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated claims and WebMD all day. And not being able to adequately explain why it's all wrong cause it would take at least a basic foundation in science to understand... But the education system...

This is reason #565785 why I prefer lab work to interacting with the public.
Pintman and astrokahn like this.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would prefer working with labs. As in labradors
Bucho, Apia and Mermaid like this.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

You can ask your lovely Apia who works in one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies of the world and has a he possibly to read all the documents or ask the medical competence center.
Bucho and Mermaid like this.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrokahn View Post
I wish wish wish there could be a forum in which we could talk about vaccines without the vitriol. Its very unfortunate because there is a lot of legitimate fear (and legitimacy of what is scary to you or I can be different but no less legitimate on either side) around vaccines. ...

There are LOTS of reasons why vaccines scare people. Conspiracy and autism is a small chunk of those people.
I'm sorry you had a shitty experience with a shitty doctor.

So what were you afraid of with your kid if you don't mind sharing?
Did you vaccinate your kids fully eventually? Are you up on your vaccines yourself now?

All of Mermaids examples of medicine having done horrendous things often to the most vulnerable groups of people are valid and reason for concern and caution but I was talking about run of the mill tested and true everyday vaccinations which I assume is what your kid would have gotten?

As with lots of topics the vaccine panic isn't nearly as big here in Europe as it is over in the US so I am legitimately curious. Because I agree with you that you usually only hear from the nutjobs so I'd love to hear from a reasonable person ;-)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
I really think Keith and Tracey are meant for each other after the show today. He cares.

Can't wait for Keith to get super codependent and try to fix her.

Last edited by FingerLakes; 02-16-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo Tracey Carnazzo

Just giving her something to find when she searches her name.
The Girl, Bucho, Lanfear and 3 others like this.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrokahn View Post

Could you please elaborate on the LOTS of reasons? In my experience it's been ALL conspiracy and autism so I'm interested in why you would think that's just a small part.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
I'm sorry you had a shitty experience with a shitty doctor.

So what were you afraid of with your kid if you don't mind sharing?
Did you vaccinate your kids fully eventually? Are you up on your vaccines yourself now?

All of Mermaids examples of medicine having done horrendous things often to the most vulnerable groups of people are valid and reason for concern and caution but I was talking about run of the mill tested and true everyday vaccinations which I assume is what your kid would have gotten?

As with lots of topics the vaccine panic isn't nearly as big here in Europe as it is over in the US so I am legitimately curious. Because I agree with you that you usually only hear from the nutjobs so I'd love to hear from a reasonable person ;-)
I am so wary of getting into this convo bc everything I see online is very "this side or that side" and, well generally people are horrible. Let me ask this first, because I think it's important:

Is anecdotal evidence (to you) worth considering or not? I think most people take sides on this based on this. Many people have fears based on anecdotal information and many people believe it shouldn't be considered at all because it's not "scientific" or provable within the scientific method or because much anecdotal information lies outside individual studies.