Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is it okay to clone dogs?
Yes 18 43.90%
No 23 56.10%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree30Likes

Old 02-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2818: Hooked

with Chris Laker – Fitting in; dumping someone on a major holiday; road rage; wolverining your keys; happy ending massages and prostitution; what you do alone; police officer who tested positive for meth claims meth must have touched his leg at work; Barbara Streisand’s cloned dogs

Guest:
Chris Laker

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
The Girl and Archimedes_Screw like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can understand watching your dog near old age and regretting getting them spayed/neutered cause now you want a dog just like them.

Idk if I would do it tho.

We've been cloning animals since the 1970s through blastomere separation and 1997 through somatic cell nuclear transfer (remember Dolly?).

Cloning doesn't give the dogs the same personality for the same reasons that identical twins don't have the same personality. Having the exact same genetic makeup doesn't change all the external factors that go into forming a personality.

If something is wrong with the clone we could quite literally just check. The same way we check non-cloned dogs for illness.

But also, since the company is charging $50,000 I would hope they do quality control on their product. Only allowing the healthy embryos to grow.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I had to put my Belgium Shepherd down in September 2015. I cried that day, all day, taking her to vet. I made prime rib and took her for a short walk, knowing it’d be our last time together.

I think cloning is weird but that dog was everything to me. I have no idea how cloning works but I’d do it. Dog people need their dogs. If science can help - awesome.
Mermaid likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

my dog is an old girl and i'd have no qualms cloning her if i had that kind of toss about money. she's spayed. she can't have puppies. i would not mind another critter with her DNA to start a new journey with.
Mermaid likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
I think cloning is weird but that dog was everything to me. I have no idea how cloning works but I’d do it. Dog people need their dogs. If science can help - awesome.
Turns out you wouldn’t do it...

I guess EVERYTHING means different things to different people.

Sad.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
i'd have no qualms cloning her if i had that kind of toss about money.
50k is A LOT of toss about money. But if ever one acquires enough toss about money, (to properly toss about) I can think of fewer things to toss it away on.

“Toss about money” The South is adorable lol
Mermaid likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

You listed birthday in the list of major holidays, so I'll bite. I was in a psychologically abusive relationship (I didn't know at the time). I didn't have a lot of money and she started off the day by being unappreciative of the gift I got her. She was expecting a necklace or a bracelet but I forget exactly what. As I was driving us to dinner, we got in an argument and she told me to turn the car around. Well, I had enough. Told her it was over, and this did not sit well with her. Started off crying and screaming that I couldn't do this on her birthday. Devolved into her trying to jump out a moving car and threatening to swerve us into traffic, all the way to punching me and trashing my car with a couple old drinks and punching the ceiling. Lovely gal.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Did it upset her that you didn’t know what “I’ll bite” means?
Mermaid likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Listening Keith talk about cloning is just as ignorant as Chemda talking about microwave radiation. Why would they be in pain? And of course, they have a different personality, because it's developed thru the environment in which you are raised and it continues to change throughout your life.
And it is very hypocritical of you for being so anty cloning, having bought a breed dog. The same arguments apply for not buying one as for not cloning one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhfCdF6qnyA
Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think inbreeding is equally unhealthy in the long term. Not sure what the cost of the animal has to do with it being healthy, though. And this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloning#Lifespan