Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Well?
LAUREL 27 69.23%
YANNY 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree35Likes

Old 05-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

"Transcends being a comic book movie..." My goodness.
I would go so far as to call Black Panther - a deep film. The racial stuff. The whole country having this tremendous power...

What Marvel film is #1 to you? I mean, Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy are damn near perfection IMO
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I just realized I'm getting upset that someone I don't know has not seen a comic book movie. I'm like one step away from being middle-aged white guy in a Hulk t-shirt.

I mean, it'd be a Wolverine shirt. But still.

"Chemda would hate it." Well. I guess if that's how you wanna live your life. Just watching Marvel movies destroy box office records. No curiosity as to why. NOT making the decision to go see Black Panther.

Seeing one of the greatest movies ever made. That's a quality of life issue. I hope Chemda and Hennesy make that leap. I mean, Black Panther is on Redbox. They wouldn't even have to leave the apartment. Just saying.

edit: I just read all my posts. LOL. sorry

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 05-21-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: now i'm the guy with the triple posts in row. don't be that guy
Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Black Panther is one of the lamest superhero movies ever made, and, since we're talking, all three solo Iron-Man movies were extremely boring and ludicrous as well.

I'm sorry you had to push it. Now you know.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was perfect. I couldn't find one problem with it. Keep that in mind when you tell your friends so that you don't sound like a pandering fool.

"The racial stuff..." As if it was so deep you can't just say, "The bad guy thought it was bullshit that Wakanda's weapons weren't used to fight violent discrimination."

Walking around like you're talking about Moonlight...

Not once in Black Panther was I surprised by anything.

The scene with Peter Parker, his date, and the dad in the car is deeper and more hair-raising than anything that happened in this goofy rhino-armored movie.

Re-watch The Lion King. Now that was a film.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Keith. I’m not going to apologize. I will do you a solid though. I will not triple post about Logan being THE SECOND BEST MARVEL MOVIE - ever made.

If only 50% of KATG can distinguish between Marvel and DC - so be it. That’s like nearly/ more than half. Acceptable. Not optimal. But. Ok.
Keith likes this.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Keith. I’m not going to apologize. I will do you a solid though. I will not triple post about Logan being THE SECOND BEST MARVEL MOVIE - ever made.
*Adjusts taped up glasses

Technically, Logan was not a Marvel movie.

*Continues sexless existence
Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

There is a lot of racial nuance in Black Panther. And it actually would be a lot to type out a detail explanation on the forum.

Just because the nuance is lost on you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This is why I usually avoid white opinions on black art (music, movies, poetry, plays, etc.). There is a lack of context for cultural references therefore an underappreciation for the art.

But of course you can't tell them that. Cause obviously there couldn't be anything there that *they* didn't "get".

I do think that Chemda would have a slightly better understanding of the themes of the movie. But she would also shit on it for being an action film with the usual things that make an action film an action film. So I wouldn't recommend she watch.
Lanfear and Sparrow like this.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Well if it's too deep to explain, it's too deep to explain. I'm glad you enjoyed.

I'm not sure if we're okay that Enunciated thinks he understood it, but okay.

I am, however, willing to explain the nuances of Spider-Man if you want.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

I’m a white guy living in Montana. I’m sure a couple few nuances of black culture were missed.

Let’s be real though. You don’t have to be from Africa or a black American from Cabrini Green projects to understand this film. It’s a tremendous movie. I’d love to hear a Chemda/ Hennessy take on it.

If nothing else. For science.
Apia likes this.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

The central theme of the movie is obvious. It had to be obvious to make money.

But the details are what make it a good movie imo.

The deliberate use of only dark skinned black characters and to only have natural afro-textured hairstyles. Invoking the real life tension between Africans and African Americans. Having the women in the movie be strong, respected and feminine and beautiful without the weird camera pans of their bodies. Having the white men be the tokens simply there for comedic relief for once.

Imagining a world where there is an African country that wasnt colonized and/or exploited for its natural resources. And was able to flourish.

Afrofuturism.

Tradition v.s. Progress

Even the scene where Killmonger is walking into wakanda is symbolic of how African Americans are often viewed as ignorant and disrespectful of traditional cultures by Africans.

There is a bunch I'm forgetting.

But yeah.

There is a lot in there.
Los, Lanfear, Sparrow and 1 others like this.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Having the white men be the tokens simply there for comedic relief for once.
I loved it when M'Baku was like, "Silence that white man! Or else we'll eat him!!! Just kidding. We're vegans!"

One thing you didn't mention was the comparison to modern day Africa. In the Congo they are mining for what is referred to as 'Conflict Minerals.' These minerals are crucial to making cell phones worldwide. The resources there, (blood diamonds etc) are being exploited. So in a sense, Wakanda is represents a future Africa, not spoiled by foreign exploit.