Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Starbucks® sensitivity training?
Helpful 18 42.86%
Stupid 24 57.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree40Likes

Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerLakes View Post
"I'll just call you Bob"

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
I think it's great that corporations care about shareholder bottom line. They'll hire a marketing firm to spin a public relations disaster like this; so that consumer attitude is swayed enough to affect the real cause for change - the bottom line.

Two black men arrested by six cops, for doing nothing, should be a bigger conversation. 'Starbucks closed today' is not a solution. It's skimming over racism in a supposed post-racial world.
Starbucks wasn't going to solve racism. All they can do is discourage their employees from doing racist things while at work.

And tbh that's all they are obligated to do. And actually is a step in the right direction.

Nothing is going to solve racism. But companies can make it so that doing racist things has real consequences.
Apia likes this.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Nothing is going to solve racism. But companies can make it so that doing racist things has real consequences.
Question 1: So, is it okay to kick out 2 black people waiting for an acquaintance that didn't purchase anything?

Employees a.k.a. Partners: No!

Question 2: Excellent. Now, is it okay to kick out 2 white people waiting for an acquaintance that didn't purchase anything?

Employees a.k.a. Partners: [Heads explode]

You'd think they'd live stream this class since it's so good for businesses that it's probably so good for the world!
The Girl likes this.

Last edited by Keith; 06-01-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

The training sounds dumb but it sets Starbucks up for protection against potential lawsuits in the future when they decide to fire an employee.

The employees no longer have the "well I was never trained not to act on my implicit biases" argument.

These trainings are real and I've worked for a company who has all the supervisors and managers undergo implicit bias training yearly so they have grounds to fire them if an issue arises. (And also so they will have less class action racism cases)

Whether the motivation is money or not, it's a good thing.
Keith, Los and Sparrow like this.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Expecting the hearts and minds of racists to suddenly one day be changed is a pie in the sky goal.

Making it so that racists can't act on their racism at work is huge. A lot of systematic racism is the result of some racist asshole who has power over others (employees and customers) at work.

Implicit bias training sets them up to get fired without any legal recourse when they get caught.

Yes of course racist know that being racist is bad. They don't give a fuck. They do give a fuck about feeding their family tho.
Los and Apia like this.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

If anyone has any questions after the class, is it okay to fire them right then? I assume you probably have to wait. That's too bad.
The Girl likes this.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

That's a good point Apia.

Most people aren't aware of their implicit biases. They don't walk around trying to be racist. They just think these biases and microagressions are normal. Because why wouldn't they? Its reinforced by literally everything around them.

A short training could be some people's first exposure to people's experiences that are different than their own.
Apia likes this.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

The privacy notifications are all based on a European law GDPR General Data Protection Regulation that gives consumers more rights for what companies can do with your data including the right to be forgotten.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

I loved this epi! My favorite KATG epis are always the ones where nobody can stop the silly giggles.

I always hear "Jessica Watkins" and in my head it's Walkin's. And I always imagine her like Forrest Gump out on a lonely desert road with a stick and a backpack.

I miss hearing Myq on the show, theres that lovely Keet/Myq banter and the lovely Myq/Chemda "we get it, don't let him bother you" love.

I always get nervous for Myq on the show bc I know Keith will shred all his hard worked-out ideas about human connection and the universe and like, you know, be nice to each other, and we're all humans inhabiting the same planet so let's connect.... into "YOU TOOK DRUGS AND NOW YOU KNOW TO BE NICE?!! WOOWWWWWWW MYQ." lol

But this epic was very fun and sweet and funny. All love all around!

Myq- "And now an example from me!" Loved it!

What a fun foursome.
Keith and The Girl like this.