Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Whose fault is it?
Chemda's 48 76.19%
Lenny's 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree79Likes

Old 10-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Apia, yer kids are super cute. I bet you’re a fantastic mom.

Now tone it down - breeder
Apia and FingerLakes like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Most people don't believe things will be as hard as people say they will be until they are going through it. This is true with most things not just having kids. They think I will read the books. I will be the prefect parent and have the perfect kid. I remember once my sister and I walked by a pregnant woman in a store. My son who was probably about 1 was crying loudly. After we passed the pregnant woman my sister asked what I thought the pregnant woman was thinking. I said, “she’s thinking my baby will never act like that."

That being said my son was overall a good laid back baby/kid. He slept through the night at 2 months. Did pretty much what I asked him to do. Of course there was still a lot of stress. You worry about things you never thought you would. Then of course there are the teenage years. One minute everything was great and the next minute my sweet little boy was gone. When the ugly would come out or the lies were told that was actually worse then anything I dealt with when he was a baby.

Now that he is 18 and in college the ugly moments hardly ever happen. He lives at home still so the ugliness does still happen sometimes. Overall though my son and I are very close. I love being his mom and I have more happy memories then sad. Do I think being a parent is for everyone? Defiantly not! Do parents have the right to complain when things are hard just because people warned them it would be? Sure they do. Has anyone ever told you something was going to be hard but you did it and you complained about it? Is it that you regret doing this hard thing or you just need to talk about it and move on? Examples of this would be training for a marathon, starting your own business, getting married, moving in with someone…

After all said and done parenting is the hardest thing and most rewarding thing I have ever done. Only time will tell if I ddi it right. Did I complain along the way? Yes, mostly to other parents who gave me advise and told me their experiences.

Chemda I am really not so sure why you acted the way you did towards Lenny.
Enunciated Piffle and Apia like this.

Last edited by Jessica332; 10-30-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I voted it was Chemda’s fault too. BUT: she forgets, bless her sweet little heart, the pre-show banter affects the show.

See you soon on Last Week.
The Girl, Apia and megaheckahella like this.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Squirrel View Post
It seems 90% of the time new parents talk about their kids they have to say something about how no one tells you how hard it is or how much work it is.
I for one was happy when Chemda called Lenny out for acting surprised at how much work a kid is.
During the big baby boom at my office (when 20 babies were born within two years), I can't tell you how many times I got snapped at and lectured to if I was dumb enough to just mention that I was tired, talk about a tv show I was watching, talk about plans I may have. To be clear, I wasn't digging at them or being sarcastic or even talking about their babies at all, but every time it was this huge "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TIRED IS, I NEVER SLEEP, I HAVEN'T WATCHED TV IN THREE MONTHS, SURE WISH I HAD ALL THAT FREE TIME TO GO OUT." I get it, they were stressed. But some new parents are just insufferable. I'm really glad they all have 8-10 year old kids now and that silliness has gone away.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Overall I didn't think Lenny seemed as curmodgeny as he normally does. He was quite chipper!

I'm on Chemda's side. Probably because I don't want kids either and I'm always told that I'll change my mind or I'll regret it or whatever. And I'm at that age where the people around me are having kids, so it's extra in my face.

Having said that, they both seemed quite worked up by the miscommunication or whatever you want to call it.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

20:36: "And they're inhaling all our money with their giant noses."
The Girl and Apia like this.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

My daughters 16. PT conferences are next week.

Kids suuuuuuuuuuuck.

They’re also a delight. But yeah. It’s ok to admit they suck as well.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Never complain about anything, any time, to anyone. Problem solved.

I am sick and tired of people who don't grasp this basic concept. It is soooo tiring.
Apia likes this.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

LIFE IS HARRRRRRRRD
porky2468 likes this.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

What happened?!

I had to go back and re-listen to the last part because it felt jarring the first time around -- I wanted to see if I was just tripping. Lenny was talking about his experiences, describing what it's like to have a baby. Some great, some difficult, but I enjoyed hearing about all of it. I am 41 and don't plan on having kids, but when Chemda responded to his stories by saying "the more I hear people talk about your kids, the more I don't want one -- no offense," this felt like such a big, rude "fuck you" to Lenny and his choices (not to mention to other parents and their choices). Even when this whole thing was followed up with "just kidding," it didn't strike me as fun kidding around. It abruptly soured the conversation I had been enjoying up until that moment. It just feels so wrong to call out parents on their experiences, revelations, and choices (they're probably already dealing with enough of that from relatives and in-laws!), just as much as it feels so wrong when parents tell me I won't know true happiness or love until I have a kid, or discount my life and my contributions based on being childless. I am a big fan of this show, and of Chemda -- her level of empathy and genuine interest and skill when it comes to getting to know guests is so awesome to witness. But every once in a blue moon that aggression kicks in, and won't let go. One positive aspect of this is that it's a reminder that you two are actual humans with a range of normal human emotions, and whose moods are colored by actual life experiences that we the listeners are not always privy to. I love you guys! Thanks for a great thought-provoking (and emotion-stoking) show.