Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should KATG release this final Bottoms Up episode?
Yes 46 79.31%
No 12 20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree48Likes

Old 11-19-2018, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I think the picture taker is the asshole.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I want to respect Chemda's decision not to share the breakdown of her relationship. But I'm also a piece of shit who wants to know all about it.

I voted yes, but totally understand if it wasn't released.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Triggered

I enjoyed the Queen movie, maybe it was a bit restricted by the PG13 rating, the close involvement of the remaining band members or I wonder if they were trying to be respectful of Freddie Mercury’s private life. It did have a whiff of fromage about it but it was a good story about a band.

Love Dave Hill (not the one from SLADE)

Last edited by LoopyLou79; 11-19-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Because I could
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

I loved the West Wing when I watched it through, but sometimes I wonder if it may have damaged us in the long run. You have to watch it with a big grain of salt. It portrays the political process as dignified and rational, with DC being full of ludicrously smart people who can fire off statistics, always back up their claims, think fast and change their minds with new information. We've all seen the news. It's clearly not.

DC is made up of people in Veep who think they're on The West Wing. Progressive people have had their fantasies about classy, honest, rational governance reinforced by The West Wing while we keep losing to trashy, insane liars that keep herpin' and a derpin' us toward fascism. Michelle Obama was dead wrong: When they go low, we go home. Because we lose. Because we've been taught to respect the process while they tear the process up.

I don't think the outright corruption of lobbying or gerrymandering ever comes up in the show. As the show goes on in the post 9/11 world, you can see the network (a subsidiary of a defense contractor) leaning on it; conservatives are portrayed as just the harmless flip side of liberals. It becomes as much a corporate centrist fantasy as a liberal one. Can you imagine anyone in the GOP being anything like Ainsley Hayes? Fuck no, it's Kellyanne Conway. A thoughtful, centrist candidate like Sen. Arnold Vinick made it through the GOP primary? Donald fucking Trump won them over on cruelty.

I like fantasy and sci-fi, and I know that stuff can be silly, but at least when there's aliens and shit it's not pretending to be real.

I'm sorry for the rant. The election here in Georgia has us all pretty pissed off. I'm gonna drink at lunch.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Loved Dave Hill for a decade - amazing to hear him on KATG!
Keith and The Girl like this.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

First of all, Dave Hill is a God Damn National Treasure. When I saw his name on the calendar I was hoping it was going to be Mr. Dave Hill.

I was not disappointed.

It was funny that Dave mentioned Big Gay Ice Cream. That's how I discovered him, through the Big Gay Ice Cream Insta account.

What I don't understand is how you spent all that time with him and the subject of his other, better band never came up.

Witch Taint:

Keith likes this.

Last edited by Z-Corn; 11-19-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Fun!!

Well, that was excellent (Dave Hill!), and I even got to be smug during the first bit. (Got the tattoo already, AND I tell friends about the podcast all the time. It's so weird to me to think people would recommend one section of the show but not the rest.)
Keith and The Girl like this.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

What really bothered me about "Bohemian Rhapsody" was they so carefully got surface details correct but completely changed facts. I imagine a production meeting:

"We have to have exactly the right number of Pepsi cups on the piano, and lets have Queen be nervous because they haven't performed together in 2 years."
"But they had just made an album before the concert."
"Who cares."

Check out IMDB's trivia and goofs, the list goes on and on.
Reminds me of the Trump administration.
Keith and Beth Yaz-Pistachio like this.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Film Facts

We have to face facts, Bohemian Rhapsody is for the young nerdy teens. My kids have spent the week singing the songs,looking at gifs, memes and YouTube and they want to go back and watch it again. They don’t care about the factual inaccuracies, people are just gay now and they don’t question it, AIDS doesn’t exist and they have no concept of apartheid.

I’m waiting for the Pixies/Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Smashing Pumpkins biopics so we can move on from singing Killer Queen and watching YouTube sound bites
Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakugenken View Post
What really bothered me about "Bohemian Rhapsody" was they so carefully got surface details correct but completely changed facts. I imagine a production meeting:

"We have to have exactly the right number of Pepsi cups on the piano, and lets have Queen be nervous because they haven't performed together in 2 years."
"But they had just made an album before the concert."
"Who cares."

Check out IMDB's trivia and goofs, the list goes on and on.
Reminds me of the Trump administration.
Yes, that pissed me off a lot too. They re-arranged several things, and WHY? The real story was just as interesting. (Oh, so we can get more tears from the crowd, OK then, I guess?) But check out the number of cups on that piano, man! We nailed this!

(Also, the difficulties in even getting the movie made, I think, entered into it. It's quite a story about what the remaining band members wanted this movie to be originally, and also, can you imagine it with Sacha Baron Cohen in the main role?)
Sakugenken and LoopyLou79 like this.