Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Would you go speed dating?
Yes 18 50.00%
No 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree39Likes

Old 03-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

3048: God Made Me w/ Calvin Cato

Captain Marvel, Green Book, and speed dating; God’s plan for you; Chick-fil-A’s anti-LGBTQ donations

Guest:
Calvin Cato

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
Archimedes_Screw likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Chemda, do you think that everyone who has kids is unhappy and is trying to trick you into having one? ( hysterical, historical...)

I think you might only see one side on this one and I always feel strange when you are starting this argument.

It’s not easy, but I love it, that’s my experience. Am I wrong for not be unhappy?
Should I try harder to be unhappy to fit the expectations?

And about the argument that marriages are breaking with kids. Marriages are breaking just fine without kids also.
This has been exactly my experience too though. Parents will complain about their hellscape of a life and then ask when I'm having kids. I always want to say, "Well, you just talked me out of it."

Keep in mind that raising kids in the US is much more difficult and stressful here than where you are in Europe. Terrible schools, violence, unaffordable child care, very expensive health insurance, the list goes on and on.
Blitzgal likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Chemda, do you think that everyone who has kids is unhappy and is trying to trick you into having one? ( hysterical, historical...)

I think you might only see one side on this one and I always feel strange when you are starting this argument.

It’s not easy, but I love it, that’s my experience. Am I wrong for not be unhappy?
Should I try harder to be unhappy to fit the expectations?

And about the argument that marriages are breaking with kids. Marriages are breaking just fine without kids also.

I really think you take these comments way too personally. In this instance, she was clearly speaking about a very specific type of parent - the ones who insist to childfree people that they need to have kids, who keep pushing that line even after being told by the childfree person that they are very happy with their decision, and who make this exaggerated show of how they're doing the most important job in the world by having a kid. It's a very specific type of person. If that's not you, then she isn't talking about you.

These comments were made during a conversation about how people have these ingrained ideas about what "the perfect family" is, and how people who don't conform to that face moral outrage over it.
Keith, The Girl and bag of lazers like this.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag of lazers View Post
This has been exactly my experience too though. Parents will complain about their hellscape of a life and then ask when I'm having kids. I always want to say, "Well, you just talked me out of it."

Keep in mind that raising kids in the US is much more difficult and stressful here than where you are in Europe. Terrible schools, violence, unaffordable child care, very expensive health insurance, the list goes on and on.
People love to bitch about their lives though. Doesn't mean they actually dislike what's going on. Like, I bitch about my job all the time. Truth is I love my new job and I just need to vent my frustrations about the difficulty.
Apia likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
I really think you take these comments way too personally. In this instance, she was clearly speaking about a very specific type of parent - the ones who insist to childfree people that they need to have kids, who keep pushing that line even after being told by the childfree person that they are very happy with their decision, and who make this exaggerated show of how they're doing the most important job in the world by having a kid. It's a very specific type of person. If that's not you, then she isn't talking about you.

These comments were made during a conversation about how people have these ingrained ideas about what "the perfect family" is, and how people who don't conform to that face moral outrage over it.
At the same time, some people do react to the extreme. There are 16 year Olds that are like "oh my god my grandma made a comment about assuming I'll have kids one day. Look at this breeder culture".

A coworker the other day asked me if I have kids "yet" and then gave me a recommendation about child wellbeing based on something she was experiencing presently. A part of me is like "that's sure an assumption" but then the other part of me was like "no she isn't meaning anything bad by it. She's just trying to connect with me and share her experiences with me as a way of showing she cares"
Old 03-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl View Post
At the same time, some people do react to the extreme. There are 16 year Olds that are like "oh my god my grandma made a comment about assuming I'll have kids one day. Look at this breeder culture".

A coworker the other day asked me if I have kids "yet" and then gave me a recommendation about child wellbeing based on something she was experiencing presently. A part of me is like "that's sure an assumption" but then the other part of me was like "no she isn't meaning anything bad by it. She's just trying to connect with me and share her experiences with me as a way of showing she cares"

That's certainly true, and people who sneer "breeder" at people or refer to "shitting babies" are disgusting. Chemda doesn't do that.

Edit: I'm 42, and got married at 41. I'm lucky that my mom has always been the type that just wanted me to be happy, and my brother gave her grandchildren, so she accepted my decision to not have kids years ago and doesn't push. My husband's mother, on the other hand, brings it up every time I see her. We continue to smile and be polite, but at a certain point, when someone has told you 100 times that they've talked it over and decided that they don't want college kids at age 60, it's time to drop it.
Keith likes this.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 03-28-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe. I have only my experience and can’t compare.
But Europeans are still people?

I said it often, if you don’t want to have kids, don’t.
Wanting to do it is part of doing a good job.

It’s like with having a dog.
If you want to have a dog, you will enjoy the work, the walks and will not mind dog hair everywhere.
If someone forced you to have a dog you would hate it.

Yes, I just compared kids to a dog. It’s my parent/dog owner privilege.
Except nobody goes to a job they hate for 30 years so their dog can have health insurance and an education.
bag of lazers likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh no i meant that as a testiment to children being more than dogs. Not that all parents are miserable.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Ah ok.
If my dog got really sick, it would cost me more, as I don’t have health insurance for my dog and our kids are fully covered.
I would bankrupt myself to pay for medical care for my kid. I would do anything to keep my kid alive with a good quality of life. If my dog needed extensive surgery to maybe have a shot at a couple more years? Nah, palliative care it is. That's not to say I won't spend any money on pets. But it's a different scope from humans before you're like "alright let's throw in the towel"
Apia likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Did we just learn kids are different than dogs?