Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Ya fuckin' kiddin' me?
Yes 18 45.00%
No 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree37Likes

Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post
I'm not defending the atrocities perpetrated by the Catholic church (and are we saying there are no predators at Al-Anon?). I just found it odd that the group will immediately jump on anyone that mentions religion or church, but then turn around and say "Take what you want and leave the rest" and "try multiple AA or Al-Anon meetings until you find the one that is comfortable for you". The same rules could be applied to traditional religions. Not all churches of all denominations of all religions teach hate and molest kids. Personally, I'm not religious and not spiritual and I don't attend church (mostly because I find it boring and I think the concept of "God" very unscientific), but I don't immediately demonize anyone that goes to a church. I understand that sometimes people go just for the fellowship and the positive messages. The same way you cannot say all Muslims are terrorists, you cannot say all Christians are gay-bashing, child molestors.
They have one book and it instructs people on how to treat slaves and just how valuable a raped woman is. It’s about the source material. And before you say that’s the Old Testament, the New Testament introduces the concept of eternal punishment.
Keith and Apia like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes_Screw View Post
They have one book and it instructs people on how to treat slaves and just how valuable a raped woman is. It’s about the source material. And before you say that’s the Old Testament, the New Testament introduces the concept of eternal punishment.
I grew up going to a Protestant Lutheran Church. We never focused on fire and brimstone and hatred and what to do to a slave in the sermons at that church. We focused on generosity, forgiveness, servitude, etc. Again, "take what you want and leave the rest."

I follow the lessons of Mark Twain, Ben Franklin, Stephen Covey, Bruce Lee. All people with faults. Don't fully idolize anyone or any religion as all knowing and all encompassing. People use parts of the Bible to justify hatred they already have. The Bible was written and rewritten by numerous people. I love KATG, but don't agree with everything everyone says on the show. So I guess I have to hate the show because it contains parts I don't agree with.
The Girl likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
I will tell my kids not to get married before 30. Live a little. Develop. Experience some break ups. Get to know what you really want.
We will see how this turns out.
my Mama got married right out of high school to her first husband (not my Dad) and spent my entire life warning me not to do the same. what did i do? i got engaged at 19.

you can preach wisdom until you’re blue in the face, but you can’t stop young folks from fucking themselves up. c’est la vie
The Girl likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
I was raised very Catholic and there is a lot wrong with that.
Maybe there is a church somewhere that isn’t bad, but most organized religions tend to turn not great.
I see a huge difference to AA and Al anon.
So they promise eternal life if you follow them and eternal hell if you don’t? Do they discriminate against gay or trans people? Do they say they are the only way to live? I don’t think so.
Exactly, you only know super fucked up Catholicism. Assuming you know your German history, then you should know that King Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and Monarch of Germany, and Martin Luther, German priest and leader of the Protestant Reformation, had very different ideologies about Christianity and when Martin Luther posted the Ninety-Five Theses in 1517, he was excommunicated and condemned as an outlaw by the Holy Roman Emperor. Thus beginning the long divide between Catholics and Protestants.

I'm not saying Protestant churches can't be fucked up too. I just know the entire premise of Catholicism is way more what you're talking about (eternal damnation, hatred of gays, etc.). That's why it's called "Catholic Guilt", and not "Christian Guilt".

Evangelical christians, Catholics, Southern Baptists, are among the worst examples of Christianity. Lutheran Protestant, (or Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism) are generally more accepting and look at the good in Christianity instead of how to use the Bible as a weapon.

I hate having to defend organized religion. But it's like the South Park episode where the different organizations of Science fight over who's science is better. People will always find ways to divide themselves and argue over dumb differences (skin color, flag color, how to say "Hello", whatever).

To channel my inner Ted Alexandro, try to figure out how to find commonality with people, instead of condemning them instantly for hearing something like they might talk to a pastor occasionally.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

False equivalence - KATG is unlikely to result in suffering, death, & destroyed families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post
I love KATG, but don't agree with everything everyone says on the show. So I guess I have to hate the show because it contains parts I don't agree with.
Keith, shoebootie and Apia like this.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

you know who’s pretty chill among the Christian set? Quakers. they’re a lovely, helpful bunch and their silent services are kind of rad. did you know you can be a nontheist Quaker? amazing.
Apia likes this.

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-02-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Depends where you live.

"The majority (52%) of Quakers live in Africa and many there do not support homosexual relationships."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
you know who’s pretty chill among the Christian set? Quakers. they’re a lovely, helpful bunch and their silent services are kind of rad. did you know you can be a nontheist Quaker? amazing.
Apia likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareBen View Post
False equivalence - KATG is unlikely to result in suffering, death, & destroyed families.
Danny, Lucas, and Ba-James
Old 04-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

hm. that’s not very Friendly.
(lol, see what i did? made a little joke there)

well, poop. care to ruin Sikhism for me while you’re at it?
Apia and SpareBen like this.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

lol