Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: AMERICANS ONLY: Have you given up on politics?
Yes 13 29.55%
No 22 50.00%
I’m not American 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree35Likes

Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

3095: How to Not Give Up w/ Graham Elwood and Ron Placone

Policing politics; Bill Cosby’s Father’s Day message from prison; Kevin Sorbo doesn’t understand your problem with rape; Keith 86ing his dad

Guests:
Graham Elwood

Ron Placone

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

3095: How to Not Give Up w/ Graham Elwood and Ron Placone

Healthcare talk is always so depressing for me on a personal and professional level.

I’ve been a Type 1 Diabetic since 5 days before my 14th birthday. I was always told to have backup plans in jobs because of how expensive maintaining my disease would be. Being a writer wasn’t an option because I wouldn’t be able to afford the health insurance. Whenever I thought about taking or leaving a job, I had to make sure I would be covered by insurance. This was before Obamacare where pre-existing conditions could be excluded if I wasn’t covered for a certain amount of time. When I graduated with a Bachelors in English, I had to pay $300 of the $600 a month for Cobra. Throughout all of this I’ve been very lucky to have family who have been willing and able to help me when I really needed it.

I almost didn’t get my Masters in Social work because I was worried about the insurance and being able to afford my medications. Luckily my husband convinced me otherwise. While in school, I got cellulitis in my leg that killed off part of the nerve and was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I ended up missing three months of work. At the time, I was just a student and didn’t get as much AL as other employees. We accrued a ton of credit card debt that we are still paying off today.

I’ve put off seeing the doctor several times. I ended up in the inpatient psych ward because I thought I could handle my increasing symptoms that I attributed to being on my period for a month and a half when it turned it my thyroid levels were severely out of whack. That was almost $3k from the ER visit and the stay itself. I put off calling my doctor about the pain and numbness I’ve been experiencing in my hands until it has been damn near constant because I just didn’t want to deal with more fucking medical bills. It is a huge source of stress. When my husband and I first met, I told him that I’m expensive to maintain, and it isn’t because I like jewelry and fancy cars. It is depressing to think that if I don’t have insurance i cannot afford to live. No one should feel this way. And I am really a lot more lucky than a lot of people. I have pretty good insurance now and a decent paying job. It is such a shame that people are having to declare bankruptcy due to medical bills. I’ve very lucky to not be one of those people...yet at least. Because all it will take is a big hospitalization to fuck us hard.

On a professional level it breaks my heart to see so many older Veterans foregoing their medications because they cannot afford it. All of them are on a fixed income, so if they don’t have the money, they don’t have anywhere to get it so they have to choose between food and their medications. I can only help so much with the programs and funding available. Many will not call an ambulance because of the $1500-$3000 they get charged. And these companies are not very sympathetic. I’ve had several patients whose medical conditions were exacerbated by their inability to pay for the medications. When we have Veterans suffering because of medical costs...it is just a fucking shame. Healthcare is just greed.

I read the letter Keith sent to his dad from fakeCat on Facebook and I can’t wait to see how he responds. No one should feel bad for his dad. He started it by emailing her first, trying to stir shit that didn’t need to be stirred. He isn’t going to learn anything but at least it has been pretty entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith, Bucho, jcro21 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by littlp; 06-18-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Ear Buds: The Podcasting Documentary

http://Tubi - Watch Movies & TV Show...ws/id886445756

Any KATG fans that haven’t seen Graham’s doc - really should. He’s a total movie nerd and it shows in the care/ attention/ effort he put into this film. Plus Chemda and Keith are in it. They both come off beautifully and any podcast fan in general - it’s a must.

You can watch the documentary for free on the tubi app.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 06-19-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Adding tubi links bro
Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Can’t wait to hear the fallout once you guys finally confront Keith’s dad with the truth.

I’m gonna call it, Keith’s dad will kneejerk reply and say “I knew it was you all along, son. I think this is clearly you trying to get close to your Father... and also your HEAVENLY Father.” Even though you actually had totally fooled him he will act like he was ethereally wise to it all and he will spin it into some evidence of Keith’s spiritual hunger and other creepy religious babble.
Keith, Cubeforce, littlp and 6 others like this.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathInGrasp View Post
Can’t wait to hear the fallout once you guys finally confront Keith’s dad with the truth.

I’m gonna call it, Keith’s dad will kneejerk reply and say “I knew it was you all along, son. I think this is clearly you trying to get close to your Father... and also your HEAVENLY Father.” Even though you actually had totally fooled him he will act like he was ethereally wise to it all and he will spin it into some evidence of Keith’s spiritual hunger and other creepy religious babble.

I think this is highly likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I really wanted to vote that I've given up on American politics because I do think the system is so broken that it overwhelms me.

But I did drag my ass out to vote for my city's mayor yesterday so I guess I'm still trying. At least my guy won! Small victories...
Keith, The Girl and FreydNot like this.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Lightbulb

Listening to Keith re-read his dad's 86 emails, he mentioned something about transposing the numbers that I didn't pick up on the first time. So it sounds like he's not actually talking about an 86 sexual position but 68.

If you search for the '68 position' you do get a lot of articles with headlines like he was talking about.

Not that this is any less crazy. If someone has 96 in their email address, I doubt many of us would make a connection to 69 but there you go.
Keith, WittyReference and Apia like this.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter2003 View Post
Not that this is any less crazy.
Keep in mind this article just “came to him.” He wasn’t even searching for it.
The Girl and critter2003 like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Link posted earlier didn't work for me, so sharing another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
http://Tubi - Watch Movies & TV Show...ws/id886445756

Any KATG fans that haven’t seen Graham’s doc - really should. He’s a total movie nerd and it shows in the care/ attention/ effort he put into this film. Plus Chemda and Keith are in it. They both come off beautifully and any podcast fan in general - it’s a must.

You can watch the documentary for free on the tubi app.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Spareben!

Apparently my forum skills are relegated to posting youtube videos of songs no one likes

I love a good documentary. Hope fellow fans check it out.