Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever sent anyone an online death threat?
Yes 1 2.22%
No 44 97.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree102Likes

Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I was in a film with Dustin Hoffman a while back and I asked him at one point how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, and Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours in order to achieve emotional verisimilitude.

“My dear boy,” I replied, “why don’t you just try acting?”

EDIT: Sorry, just remembered it wasn't me, it was Laurence Olivier. I often get us mixed up for some reason.

Last edited by Bucho; 07-23-2019 at 01:43 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl View Post
Method acting killed Heath Ledger. Anthony Hopkins doesnt need to do method acting to get his full potential, and he's one of the best actors of all times.

Its like saying artists need to drink/use drugs to get their full potential. Stephen King is proof that, no you do not and that this idea is a crutch or excuse.
I fully agree that method acting is a strange way of getting the best performance out of an actor.

But please let's be real here - that argument about Heath Ledger is bullshit. He didn't play the role of a drug addict in that movie. Mental illness / addiction is a thing that I'd rather you not explain away with 'oh he was method acting he was fine otherwise'
Old 07-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Method acting killed Heath Ledger. Anthony Hopkins doesnt need to do method acting to get his full potential, and he's one of the best actors of all times.

Its like saying artists need to drink/use drugs to get their full potential. Stephen King is proof that, no you do not and that this idea is a crutch or excuse.
??? Are we thinking of the same Stephen King? As in the author who has famously said he doesn't remember writing entire books because of all the booze and cocaine?

I do agree though, that's a super frustrating and harmful stereotype, likewise with artists having to suffer.

In any case, I've never really understood how much people seem to hate method acting. To me it just seems like another tool, which works for some and doesn't work for others. I feel like you might as well say oil painters are better than acrylic - in the end it's just artists doing artist things.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Dina's episode is available for those without VIP - on youtube.
craigish likes this.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigish View Post
??? Are we thinking of the same Stephen King? As in the author who has famously said he doesn't remember writing entire books because of all the booze and cocaine?
Stephen King got sober. He talks about it in On Writing, (a fantastic read btw) along with- what you’re talking about- getting so high/ drunk he forgets writing some of his books.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigish View Post

I do agree though, that's a super frustrating and harmful stereotype, likewise with artists having to suffer.

In any case, I've never really understood how much people seem to hate method acting. To me it just seems like another tool, which works for some and doesn't work for others. I feel like you might as well say oil painters are better than acrylic - in the end it's just artists doing artist things.

He's been sober for quite a while, and has a lot to say about the stereotype of arts requiring drug use.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
I fully agree that method acting is a strange way of getting the best performance out of an actor.

But please let's be real here - that argument about Heath Ledger is bullshit. He didn't play the role of a drug addict in that movie. Mental illness / addiction is a thing that I'd rather you not explain away with 'oh he was method acting he was fine otherwise'
Method acting deteriorated his mental health, he locked himself in his apartment for weeks and fed into destructive thought patterns and behaviors to develop and fuel his joker. He then got to the point where he needed medication to sleep and cope with the mental space he had put himself in and took prescription meds to cope.

"In their New York Times interview, published on 4 November 2007, Ledger told Sarah Lyall that his recently completed roles in I'm Not There (2007) and The Dark Knight (2008) had taken a toll on his ability to sleep: "Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night. ... I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going."[80] At that time, he told Lyall that he had taken two Ambien pills, after taking just one had not sufficed, and those left him in "a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing".[31]

He also apparently had walking pneumonia he never addressed.

According to wiki
Apia likes this.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Method acting deteriorated his mental health, he locked himself in his apartment for weeks and fed into destructive thought patterns and behaviors to develop and fuel his joker. He then got to the point where he needed medication to sleep and cope with the mental space he had put himself in and took prescription meds to cope.

"In their New York Times interview, published on 4 November 2007, Ledger told Sarah Lyall that his recently completed roles in I'm Not There (2007) and The Dark Knight (2008) had taken a toll on his ability to sleep: "Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night. ... I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going."[80] At that time, he told Lyall that he had taken two Ambien pills, after taking just one had not sufficed, and those left him in "a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing".[31]

He also apparently had walking pneumonia he never addressed.

According to wiki
Yes I did check the wiki as well before I posted.
And I don't deny that he definitely did dig himself into a crazy hole.

But that's not method acting. He didn't start being a pranky sadistic criminal mastermind wearing silly clothing - he shut himself into his apartment and spiraled into dark thoughts and eventually died from a cocktail of drugs and pneumonia related causes months after finishing filming the movie. Getting pneumonia is not method acting.

You say you don't want to support art requiring drug use but from what you post here this is exactly what you are saying.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I never said I supported drug fueled art production, but if a person isn't sleeping they're going to take whatever is needed to get to sleep and the lack of sleep will drive you to insanity given enough time.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareBen View Post
I didn’t remember that very well. Those headlines saying he was arrested for assaulting them made me assume it was physical. Either way he’s still garbage. It kills me that he goes and sees sick kids who adore him. Parents - why are you exposing your children to this garbage? Cause he has money and plays pretend well?

Question: is anyone going to fess up to the online death threat? Will you maybe write in anonymously and tell what warranted the death threat?

....shit did I just get on the death threat list for asking?