Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Bernie?
Yes 49 69.01%
No 22 30.99%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree290Likes

Old 02-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

seems to be only white men spout 'identity politics' when people don't agree with them
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Why did I like it so much? I don’t know! But I really loved it. What does it say about me? Hm.
I found him very amusing.
And I’m a woman!
Big Pharma, yada yada yada
Old 02-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I know I'm wrong but I love how frustrating he was.
Keith, Bucho, juliofromny and 3 others like this.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I guess his joke answers didn't bug me like they bugged everyone else because I didn't give a shit about the real answers, and once it became clear he was on to play a game I had fun with that game.

I come to KATG for the comedy and he brought plenty.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

(Sorry this is verbose, the TLDR is bolded )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
It didn’t seem like he was a regular listener of the show who knew all that though. He seemed like he was shocked only because Chemda is a woman and she still somehow supports Bernie. Didn’t seem nearly that deep to me. But it was ironic because he had just spent all that time making word salad to avoid the the claims of misogyny among Bernie supporters.
Exactly. David was SO close to making some good observations. Chemda was really guiding him well, but he made assumptions about her questions and threw things off. Therein lies the #1 problem with Bernie Bros, they get worked up and make assumptions about why people support others. Identity politics are often their go-to attack (you aren't looking at the issues, you just want a woman / gay!). The polarizing candidates especially seem to have immature and extremist fans who are assholes on the internet. I suspect that there might be more fervor coming from Bernie bros because it’s incredibly frustrating to have evidence about something and not know how to change minds. It takes maturity to step back and know when an argument is not worth it. Bernie bros may be right about a lot of things, but they are angry, often misogynist (but don’t realize it), emotionally unintelligent, poor communicators who don't know when or how to engage on the internet. Bernie Bros can be as rabid as trump trolls. I might be more irritated by them than people who disagree politically, because they are like the players acting crazy and screwing things up for the whole team.

I say this as an avid Bernie supporter. Universal healthcare is an incredibly important issue to me, and the lack of it has massively influenced my life and that of loved ones over the past few years. I fully agree that Warren, and Mayo Pete especially, are full of shit. But you can’t come at people with that. Their campaigns have been massively misleading, their plans are, in my opinion and the studies I’ve read, less likely to solve the problems that people have wanted changed since before Trump. I am similarly upset when I see unsubstantiated arguments for other candidates online, and people falling for messaging without looking for backup information, and aligning with candidates who don’t actually have their best interests in mind. However, I know that 99.9% of minds are not changed from internet “discussions.” It’s just not worth engaging unless someone is open for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
I'm not an American so this is all theoretical.
I like lots of things about Bernie mostly how he was on the right side of history so often.
He was pro LGBT rights when it wasn't cool at all same with civil rights for black people.

Funny how people call him unrealistic for wanting things for Americans we have like for forever like paid maternity leave or universal health insurance.
Yes! His opponents keep pushing how medicare for all can’t be done. Many Americans have eaten up propaganda about the “negatives” of universal healthcare in, you know, every other industrialized nation. I’ve had a little experience with European healthcare, and I literally cried with joy about how easy everything was compared to care at home. People are scared of losing “choice” over insurance plans, when the truth is, we don’t have much choice at all. Our employers choose our insurance providers. We choose the level of coverage, but I don’t know a single person who LIKES their insurance plan. I’ve been on one of the best plans in the nation, and there was still expensive BS involved. It can’t be done without massive change in our for-profit insurance system. They keep asking how we can afford it, when it would be less costly. Jobs will shift, not be lost. But apparently we can afford endless wars, corporate bailouts, and our F-35 jet program (want to get angry about governmental waste? Look that trillion-dollar shit up).
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk'n View Post
This guy suuuuuucks. Take him back to the Catskills.

Thanks to K&C for making this listenable.
This is why im glad their are forums cause i wasnt sure if this was just me or not. Cause their are only a handful of shows/guests that made me turn off the show in the 13 yrs ive been listening, and 15 min in i was like the hell with this dude keeps trying to force his old school corny jokes in vs letting it happen naturally. Also he doesnt understand the show is more an organic conversation as opposed to a set up punchline setup punch line in rapid succession. It completely ruined the rhythm of the show to the point i was like is this what keiths dad's book is like
Old 02-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I absolutely love David Feldman on KATG. Can’t wait for his upcoming DFS episode with KATG as guests. He’s also great when he shows up on political podcasts and does his centrist faux Bernie bro satire. It’s so good (if you’re knee deep in political news anyway).

Can’t wait for his next appearance now that he’s learned how to work his phone to call 😁
Bucho, tempfoot and Apia like this.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I guess his joke answers didn't bug me like they bugged everyone else because I didn't give a shit about the real answers, and once it became clear he was on to play a game I had fun with that game.

I come to KATG for the comedy and he brought plenty.
Definitely sounded like K&C were struggling with him but at the same time it sounded like Keith was also having fun with his non-responses/jokes.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #39 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl View Post
Fuck this guy. Caring about the role of racism and sexism in our society is not "identity politics"
That’s not his point. He saying don’t vote because of identity politics. If you’re a person of color don’t automatically vote for a person of color. If you’re a woman, don’t automatically vote for a woman.

Look at their policies first and if the policies align with your ideals, then vote for that candidate, regardless of their gender, race, or sexual orientation.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #40 (permalink)

I fucking loved this episode...

Yes, David clearly has his schtick....

But Keith and Chemda's responses, reactions, and immediately calling him on it, in the most hilarious ways are a tour-de-force. If anyone doubts that Keith Malley is a massive comic talent, listen to the gold he pulls out of what could have been a complete shitshow with this guy. He's even cracking David up calling him on his 'act'. Chemda being 100% in on it is aces. Few sounds in the world are better than Chemda's mirthful laugh. (Maybe Andrea screaming at anything for any reason).

This one goes into the repeat listen box for me.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 7 others like this.