Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   3236: Parasite w/ Billy Procida and Andrea Allan (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/3236-parasite-w-billy-procida-andrea-allan-21742/)

Michael's Servant 02-25-2020 06:00 PM

3236: Parasite w/ Billy Procida and Andrea Allan

Social media fights; AVN Awards; smash-and-grabs; paypigs; Parasite in detail; Jojo Rabbit; fisting

Guests:
Andrea Allan
http://static-2.keithandthegirl.net/...ea-100x100.jpg

Billy Procida
http://static-2.keithandthegirl.net/...LY-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Christ Why 02-25-2020 07:24 PM

Best fight episodes?

Can someone tell me which episodes the Billy fights were on? I think they must have been before I started listening!

Keith 02-25-2020 07:46 PM

KATG.com/awards

KATG.com/BillyProcida

Kory 02-25-2020 09:16 PM

Billy makes me pull my hair out

eoguy 02-25-2020 11:54 PM

I'd rather stab my ears with scissors than listen to another KATG review of Parasite. *plays Chemda's Hustlers review again *

Bucho 02-26-2020 01:54 AM

Andrea should be on all Billy episodes. During the early malarkey neither Billy nor Chemda were making a whole lot of sense, completely missing what the other was saying, but when Andrea comes in it's like she's the bridge/translator between them and it gets kind of beautiful.

I also liked that the episode briefly became Next Week on Only In New York, even though Keith apparently not having already heard the fisting story shamefully outed him as a non-listener of that awesome podcast.

theycallmepyro 02-26-2020 02:20 AM

I was buying something using PayPal while listening to this episode. Now I can only read it as PayPig.

Thanks Billy.

lithunica 02-26-2020 06:24 AM

I watch a lot of movies in Russian (with English subtitles when my wife watches with me) and 90% of the time subtitles are just fucking awful, neutered, and dumbed-down, probably due to onscreen speed. It would be cool to see if any native speaking people saw the movie and weighed in on the dialogue. I'm sure in a movie like that dialogue could make or break the movie experience.

Also, I'm yet to see Hollywood movie where character pretends to be fluent in Russian and be comprehensible, c'mon, they spend months on a single fight choreography but can't get a decent language coach.

stellathegreat 02-26-2020 08:42 AM

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST...13:39 into the show. I mean goddamn it, Billy.

Lanfear 02-26-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lithunica (Post 881611)
I watch a lot of movies in Russian (with English subtitles whin en my wife watches with me) and 90% of the time subtitles are just fucking awful, neutered, and dumbed-down, probably due to onscreen speed. It would be cool to see if any native speaking people saw the movie and weighed in on the dialogue. I'm sure in a movie like that dialogue could make or break the movie experience.

Also, I'm yet to see Hollywood movie where character pretends to be fluent in Russian and be comprehensible, c'mon, they spend months on a single fight choreography but can't get a decent language coach.

I grew up with pretty much everything international being dubbed when it's shown on German TV. That's probably why I don't find it odd/weird/annoying because a) I'm so used to it and b) they usually do a great job with different actors having different voices (and famous movie stars always having the same voice actor in dubbing) but also in getting the dubbing as close to the mouth movements as possible.
I watch most English speaking shows in the original now because I speak it fluently but obviously not everybody is lucky enough to have that training.

And I agree with Lithunica it's super annoying if films have an actor pretend to speak a foreign language and totally butcher it - there must be plenty of either foreign actors you can hire for the task or at least use a foreign voice actor to dub it for them.

thirteen 02-26-2020 09:39 AM

omg, Andrea's mom is going to be on?

Holy balls.

theguy2009 02-26-2020 11:13 AM

Billy seems like a nice guy, but man he is so fake deep.

punk'n 02-26-2020 12:23 PM

Oh Billy, Billy, Billy....
I've been defending you this whole time. I thought you were funny. I even answered in a poll that I'd let you eat my box..

But you lost me in the first 10 minutes. Anyone who think the waiter should work for free cos you're on some soapbox about how restaurants in America run can GO FUCK THEMSELVES. Fuck you, Billy. If you give a fuck about the subject, write your god damn senator. Screwing over waitstaff is a cardinal sin in my book. You're a cheap, privileged, stupid asshole. Byyyyyeeeeee!

marykae 02-26-2020 12:31 PM

Re: tipping/living wage.

I understood immediately what Billy was talking about BUT the moment it was clear that Chemda picked up on the wrong bit of it he should have immediately clarified rather than answer her tipping question abd go off on another thread.

He is bad at discussions but I for sure have been stuck in a loop like this and I empathize.

thirteen 02-26-2020 12:33 PM

The percentage is debatable though. A lot of people still tip around 15%, depending on where they live. Mainly because it's the first option on the payment screen and it's been the default amount for years.

punk'n 02-26-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia (Post 881627)
I didn’t think he did that but maybe I’m wrong.
I thought he was for tipping 20%. Wasn’t he?

He said you should tip what you can afford. Chemda asked if 5% was appropriate and he said something like "if that's all you can afford". You should never tip 5% ESPECIALLY if you leave your house knowing you're going to do that and it's not even an issue of service. Booooo. Tips should be calculated into what you can afford. If you can't afford a decent tip, then you should forego the wine, or the dessert, or the restaurant altogether.

punk'n 02-26-2020 01:35 PM

It's a fucked up system but it's a cultural norm. The way to not participate in it is to go after the people who created it, not the people who are stuck in it.

marykae 02-26-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk'n (Post 881628)
He said you should tip what you can afford. Chemda asked if 5% was appropriate and he said something like "if that's all you can afford". You should never tip 5% ESPECIALLY if you leave your house knowing you're going to do that and it's not even an issue of service. Booooo. Tips should be calculated into what you can afford. If you can't afford a decent tip, then you should forego the wine, or the dessert, or the restaurant altogether.

I intuited that the internet was arguing servers shouod make less because people should tip, and he was saying poor people should be allowed to go out to eat too and therefore servers should be paid a living wage .

The part of the conversation you're referring to doesn't reflect his initial point, which is decidedly the opposite of elitest.

He answered a hypothetical question on the fly and his answer was clearly imperfect and made up off the top of his head.

Bad at discussion, yes. Elitest and shitty to servers, quite the opposite.

Lanfear 02-26-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marykae (Post 881632)
I intuited that the internet was arguing servers shouod make less because people should tip, and he was saying poor people should be allowed to go out to eat too and therefore servers should be paid a living wage .

I have heard that argument before but how does that make sense?

If waiters need that 20% tip now (which I understand they do but also think is a stupid system) paying them a normal wage would just make restaurants more expensive.

Kory 02-26-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 881634)
I have heard that argument before but how does that make sense?

If waiters need that 20% tip now (which I understand they do but also think is a stupid system) paying them a normal wage would just make restaurants more expensive.

The customer is paying that either way then. I'd rather they get a better wage so that their livelihood isn't tied to a fickle and obtuse tipping system.

marykae 02-26-2020 02:41 PM

Servers get regular minimum wage in Oregon (which is still not a living wage but closer) and the prices aren't any more bonkers in Portland than in another large city.

I still tip 20% but if one or two people don't tip during a shift it's annoying but doesn't break you the way it might somewhere else.

My boyfriend is a server and minimum wage plus tips has him making close to what I make in an office. We eat out a lot including a cocktail or beer and I pay between 15-50 each time including tip with the average being closer to 20-25.

Maybe I'm remembering other cities prices wrong?

Kory 02-26-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marykae (Post 881636)
Servers get regular minimum wage in Oregon (which is still not a living wage but closer) and the prices aren't any more bonkers in Portland than in another large city.

I still tip 20% but if one or two people don't tip during a shift it's annoying but doesn't break you the way it might somewhere else.

My boyfriend is a server and minimum wage plus tips has him making close to what I make in an office. We eat out a lot including a cocktail or beer and I pay between 15-50 each time including tip with the average being closer to 20-25.

Maybe I'm remembering other cities prices wrong?

Federally, you can pay servers under minimum wage as long as their wage WITH tips meet minimum wage. So if they make minimum wage plus tips that's most likely higher than average.

Lanfear 02-26-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 881635)
The customer is paying that either way then. I'd rather they get a better wage so that their livelihood isn't tied to a fickle and obtuse tipping system.

Well obviously as I said it's a stupid system.

The point I was reacting to was 'poor people should be allowed to go out to eat as well' and as Punkn pointed out if you can't afford it you don't get to do it.

marykae 02-26-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 881637)
Federally, you can pay servers under minimum wage as long as their wage WITH tips meet minimum wage. So if they make minimum wage plus tips that's most likely higher than average.

That would be great if minimum wage were also a living wage.

Oregon is raising minimum wage every july until it hits 15, but servers here will always get that plus tips. That's a living wage.

Kory 02-26-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marykae (Post 881639)
That would be great if minimum wage were also a living wage.

Oregon is raising minimum wage every july until it hits 15, but servers here will always get that plus tips. That's a living wage.

I completely agree. I was simply stating the situation nationally.

marykae 02-26-2020 03:03 PM

Funny how I just fell into the same trap as Billy. I came here to say I see both sides of his show argument and ended up discussing minimum wage.

Or maybe I was just proving I empathize.

Sparrow 02-26-2020 03:25 PM

the idea of being fisted is so frightening. i don’t understand how anyone comes out of that without a UTI; that’s a whole hands worth of bacteria.

Peterda 02-26-2020 03:26 PM

Someone has to have a great level of immunity to be able to be fisted with hands full of bacteria.

Keith 02-26-2020 04:00 PM

I just got a manicure, and while I couldn't tip after, I had a note explaining that for the worker in my pocket; but, because my nails were freshly done, I couldn't take it out of my pocket to hand over. AWKWARD! (But still so worth it.)

bagelwagel 02-26-2020 04:16 PM

Did Chemda not understand the original online tipping argument or was she purposely baiting Billy?

marykae 02-26-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelwagel (Post 881647)
Did Chemda not understand the original online tipping argument or was she purposely baiting Billy?

I don't think she understood it because he didn't articulate it well. I intuited it based on seeing this discussion a lot on the internet.

Keith 02-26-2020 05:54 PM

I thought he was saying that a person should be able to go to a restaurant even if they can't tip, but we couldn't really get his answer in the beginning because that was being evaded with: Waiters should be paid properly by their bosses. Did people hear him saying something else?

To me it was like asking how he fists someone. "Well some people take their fingers and - " No! What do YOU do!

Keith 02-26-2020 10:25 PM

Andrea is the anti-Gootz.
She got fisted and didn’t know if she hooked up

- Adam Brown

Rufio 02-26-2020 10:35 PM

Keith is just looking desperate after losing best rant of 2019 to the amazing Bianca.

Keith 02-26-2020 10:38 PM

Just between us, I loved Parasite. An idiot doesn’t JUST BECOME President of the United States, and no accident makes a bad movie Best Picture of the Year.

Aces.

John Petri 02-27-2020 01:16 AM

chemda seems to like to bully billy. it's not my favorite part of katg.

porky2468 02-27-2020 03:55 AM

I'm not from the US, so I could be off... but don't you add sales tax on top of the price of stuff (VAT is included in the tag price in the UK)? You wouldn't be able to buy a shirt if you couldn't afford to pay the sales tax, so I guess it should be the same as tipping. If you can't factor in a tip, then you probably shouldn't go somewhere that doesn't pay its workers a fair wage.

It's a shitty system but you don't change it by feeding into it, and you definitely won't change it by essentially screwing over your server.

Rune 02-27-2020 04:37 AM

Seems a bit elitist in itself to suggest that people who can’t afford to tip as much forego the restaurant entirely. I don’t see why I should pick between a poor customer and poor worker (basically two sides of the same coin).

Lanfear 02-27-2020 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 881669)
Seems a bit elitist in itself to suggest that people who can’t afford to tip as much forego the restaurant entirely. I don’t see why I should pick between a poor customer and poor worker (basically two sides of the same coin).

Well if you use that argument it's a bit elitist to think that the non-tipping customer is worth more than the waiter who also needs to make money because they might want to eat.

Also nobody said forego it entirely but budget for what you can afford.

flerchin 02-27-2020 07:42 AM

Andrea's vagina is the funniest fucking punchline. She's just the best.

I took from the Parasite discussion that I need to see Jojo Rabbit. It wasn't even on my radar, but I know what words are, and I still think about Parasite.