Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   3236: Parasite w/ Billy Procida and Andrea Allan (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/3236-parasite-w-billy-procida-andrea-allan-21742/)

marykae 02-26-2020 02:41 PM

Servers get regular minimum wage in Oregon (which is still not a living wage but closer) and the prices aren't any more bonkers in Portland than in another large city.

I still tip 20% but if one or two people don't tip during a shift it's annoying but doesn't break you the way it might somewhere else.

My boyfriend is a server and minimum wage plus tips has him making close to what I make in an office. We eat out a lot including a cocktail or beer and I pay between 15-50 each time including tip with the average being closer to 20-25.

Maybe I'm remembering other cities prices wrong?

Kory 02-26-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marykae (Post 881636)
Servers get regular minimum wage in Oregon (which is still not a living wage but closer) and the prices aren't any more bonkers in Portland than in another large city.

I still tip 20% but if one or two people don't tip during a shift it's annoying but doesn't break you the way it might somewhere else.

My boyfriend is a server and minimum wage plus tips has him making close to what I make in an office. We eat out a lot including a cocktail or beer and I pay between 15-50 each time including tip with the average being closer to 20-25.

Maybe I'm remembering other cities prices wrong?

Federally, you can pay servers under minimum wage as long as their wage WITH tips meet minimum wage. So if they make minimum wage plus tips that's most likely higher than average.

Lanfear 02-26-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 881635)
The customer is paying that either way then. I'd rather they get a better wage so that their livelihood isn't tied to a fickle and obtuse tipping system.

Well obviously as I said it's a stupid system.

The point I was reacting to was 'poor people should be allowed to go out to eat as well' and as Punkn pointed out if you can't afford it you don't get to do it.

marykae 02-26-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 881637)
Federally, you can pay servers under minimum wage as long as their wage WITH tips meet minimum wage. So if they make minimum wage plus tips that's most likely higher than average.

That would be great if minimum wage were also a living wage.

Oregon is raising minimum wage every july until it hits 15, but servers here will always get that plus tips. That's a living wage.

Kory 02-26-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marykae (Post 881639)
That would be great if minimum wage were also a living wage.

Oregon is raising minimum wage every july until it hits 15, but servers here will always get that plus tips. That's a living wage.

I completely agree. I was simply stating the situation nationally.

marykae 02-26-2020 03:03 PM

Funny how I just fell into the same trap as Billy. I came here to say I see both sides of his show argument and ended up discussing minimum wage.

Or maybe I was just proving I empathize.

Sparrow 02-26-2020 03:25 PM

the idea of being fisted is so frightening. i don’t understand how anyone comes out of that without a UTI; that’s a whole hands worth of bacteria.

Peterda 02-26-2020 03:26 PM

Someone has to have a great level of immunity to be able to be fisted with hands full of bacteria.

Keith 02-26-2020 04:00 PM

I just got a manicure, and while I couldn't tip after, I had a note explaining that for the worker in my pocket; but, because my nails were freshly done, I couldn't take it out of my pocket to hand over. AWKWARD! (But still so worth it.)

bagelwagel 02-26-2020 04:16 PM

Did Chemda not understand the original online tipping argument or was she purposely baiting Billy?