Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you cried over the coronavirus/civil unrest?
Yes 22 57.89%
No 16 42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree28Likes

Old 06-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathInGrasp View Post
This is so true. I was born in Poland too, though I’ve lived in the Chicago area since I was 6.

The Chicago Polish Facebook marketplace groups I’m in have been a shitshow of pro cop, openly racist diatribes ever since this all began. The racism runs so deep among many in the polish community. I remember in Poland growing up watching cartoons like Bolek i Lolek where the only POC representation was literally a disgusting caricature of an African person and they were presented as a tribal, foolish, primitive character...

The first time I saw a POC of any kind was at O Hare airport coming into Chicago when my parents immigrated here. An Asian man approached us to ask for directions I think, none of us spoke English, but I just remember staring at him because I’ve never ever seen anyone different from me. In Poland, diversity just meant blonde versus brown hair, lol.
That 100% correct and I even remember the cartoons.
I’ve never seen a person of color until I was 8 maybe.
Some Chinese people came over for a visit of my fathers work and visited us for dinner.
Seeing them in our home was like seeing fairytale characters, it was unreal, until that day I didn’t know non white people really existed and were not just made up.
And that was it with p.o.c until we moved to Germany when I was 12.

Keith, how am I so evolved? How? Is it in the end, possible for everyone?
Scorpion and DeathInGrasp like this.

Last edited by Apia resurrected; 06-12-2020 at 12:52 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

POC is honestly a strange term, bc it’s so intersectional, when in reality every in-group is unwelcoming or has some shit to say (if not full blown racist) to all others. I’m daughter to immigrants, and we didn’t have to be Polish or German to be pretty insular about who was allowed at the table. The same diatribes exist in our groups. I’d say it’s pretty split. My folks were polite, but they definitely bought into the stereotypes, and I know people in the community have gotten disowned for something like...dating out. The silver lining is, kids of immigrants are way less racist.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I’m disappointed this poll isn’t 100% yes TBH
punk'n likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
I’ve never seen a person of color until I was 8 maybe.
Some Chinese people came over for a visit of my fathers work and visited us for dinner.
Seeing them in our home was like seeing fairytale characters, it was unreal, until that day I didn’t know non white people really existed and were not just made up.
I didn't know that Asians weren't considered white until I was 15 years old.

My childhood reasoning was pedantic as I based it on the literal color of their skin compared to other white people.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelwagel View Post

My childhood reasoning was pedantic as I based it on the literal color of their skin compared to other white people.
I don’t even know what I considered them as, for sure I , a polish child didn’t use the term p.o.c.

I just remember that it was very extraordinarily to meet non polish people, and especially people who looked different to us.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I haven't cried. I think this is more a yelly time for me, not cry-y
Keith and Sparrow like this.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelwagel View Post

On that pedantic note, I always thought it was fucked up that asians are called "yellow" when they're skin is obviously white. IS EVERYONE FUCKING COLOR BLIND?
Old 06-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerLakes View Post
On that pedantic note, I always thought it was fucked up that asians are called "yellow" when they're skin is obviously white. IS EVERYONE FUCKING COLOR BLIND?
The answer must be yes.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Subhah

Subhah is a delight. She is so smart and funny loved every second.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #30 (permalink)

no crying. my anxiety picked up a new way to express itself though; scratching the back of my neck. the compulsion is old hat, but usually it’s my forearm. it’s like my body is trying to physically dig out the angryfeels.