Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you care when a musician you like lip-syncs?
Yes 32 71.11%
No 13 28.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree20Likes

Old 08-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

3142: Video Music Awards w/ J.P. McDade

2019 MTV Video Music Awards; top movies; Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

Guest:
J.P. McDade

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Whew, Apia was freaking out.

Re Cats in the Cradle, here it is encouraging Irish dads not to kill people:

Apia likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If a singer does a full concert dancing and that's a big part of their appeal I'd rather have them lip sync.
Also you might prefer Madonna lip syncing in concert; she sang live for this years Eurovision and that was so rough that her team auto tuned the hell out of the footage before they uploaded it to her YouTube.

Milli Vanilli didn't lip sync the way these other singers do, their voices were not used for the recording at all it was basically a drag show :-)
Old 08-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Fucking yes ready or not, it was amazzzzzing and funny as fuck.
Keith and FingerLakes like this.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know Missy lip synced a little but I thought she had one of the best performances of the night, and you could hear she was doing some live singing. The Jonas Brothers performance was the funny one to me, obvious lip syncing and the one brother is obviously not playing the guitar at all. He’s walking not touching the guitar and it’s still playing in the background. I respect singers who do it live so much more. Lady Gaga at the super bowl for example. I know it’s sometimes preferred they lip sync so the performance is perfect but stop it, it’s ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Fair warning about Madonna, she has a history of being late. She was in Seattle a few years back and started her 7:00 show promptly at 10:30. (Or there about)

She got destroyed in the press and promised to never come back. Win win.

But she did put on a good show once she decided it was worth her time.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Chemda's hammer time joke had me cracking up and they just glossed over it 😂
The Girl and Scorpion like this.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Chemda, here are some more black plus size, very successful women besides Lizzo.

Nicole Byer
Danielle Brooks
Queen Latifah
Octavia Spencer
Michelle Buteau
Retta
Mo'Nique
Ava DuVernay
Dascha Polanco
GABOUREY SIDIBE
AMBER RILEY
Leslie Jones

There are more, for sure.
I'm pretty sure Chemda is actually aware there are other plus size black women, and was making a point.
The Girl and Scorpion like this.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
If a singer does a full concert dancing and that's a big part of their appeal I'd rather have them lip sync.
Also you might prefer Madonna lip syncing in concert; she sang live for this years Eurovision and that was so rough that her team auto tuned the hell out of the footage before they uploaded it to her YouTube.

Milli Vanilli didn't lip sync the way these other singers do, their voices were not used for the recording at all it was basically a drag show :-)
I see what you are saying but if it's fine to lip sync why do they lie about it like they do? They lie because they feel disingenuous
Naturally if they were honest about it and say they have a background track to help with sound quality while they don't have the breath while dancing they wouldn't have to feel all fake about it.

Honestly though I go to a concert for entertainment yes but I don't go to a concert for an artist I don't like already. In other words I don't come to concert to hear the CD over big speakers and watch the singer jump all over the stage. I go to hear that artist practice the craft and feel the energy that gives the crowd. I will never go see an artist if I think they are just going to play a studio track, I can do that in my car and save a lot of time and money.
Keith, Los, Lanfear and 1 others like this.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That’s what we all thought though. Then one fine day you were 45 and you’re going to see Madonna next Wednesday.
porky2468 and SpareBen like this.