Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who made the most sense?
Keith 35 64.81%
Chemda 13 24.07%
JFOD 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree225Likes

Old 11-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #51 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klw9 View Post
I'm about 45 minutes into this episode, and I haven't read the whole thread yet. And sorry to say, mental illness or not, I know people are out there spreading this BS. And as a scientist and a person who has had 2 close people die from this, and many others sick, I want to punch Jfod in the fucking face.
I get it.
ThePinkSuperhero likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

JFOD spin off

I like JFOD’s game of opening a book to a random page and seeing what happens. Recently used that for improv prompts in an online improv meetup and it was a lot of fun! This could be a silent trailers spin off starring JFOD as host. I’m tuning in for that
Old 11-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #53 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

This is how his manic episodes start, isn't it? The start is making some questionable choices thinking he's in a good place, like leaving his family in NJ to be in NYC again (for no good reason). That's the start of his next episode.

Worried about him, this won't end well.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebootie View Post
This is how his manic episodes start, isn't it? The start is making some questionable choices thinking he's in a good place, like leaving his family in NJ to be in NYC again (for no good reason). That's the start of his next episode.

Worried about him, this won't end well.
This is a really good point. Hopefully JFOD is okay.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #55 (permalink)

Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
You are 100% right.
When he started with doctors being incentivized for Covid deaths I got really mad.
Oh no I just got to the part where JFOD said doctors had financial incentive to claim deaths were related to COVID. Wow. Just wow.

Anytime someone thinks there is a conspiracy amongst doctors to claim deaths are related to COVID.....that’s a yikes - a big yikes!

I love JFOD but that sort of thing really puts him on a sick and shut in list.

I hope he pulls through.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #56 (permalink)

Chills

Keith and Chemda are good friends..

Keith saying, “you are my dad right now” gave me chills.

This got me thinking how if we are truly going to reduce the stigma of mental health issues we have to witness this stuff and find ways to navigate it when stuff pops up.

I’m glad this show went on air and look forward to hearing JFOD’s thoughts down the road when he looks back OTH some perspective. Hope to hear him back on the show when that time comes.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
Guys, why so serious? The word associations, the hyperactive, disorganized speech seamlessly and breathlessly jumping from topic to topic, the flurry of books Keith mentioned propping up his microphone. At one point he takes the word “own” literally when Keith asks him if he does word associations with his own words, saying it’s impossible for him to own a word. It seems like he’s having a manic episode. No point being upset with something beyond his control.

That all being said, not everything he said was bullshit. It just so happens there’s quite a bit of it mixed in. But then, conspiracy thinking is a symptom of mania. The last time he was on, he seemed to be in a clear headspace and talked about an old manic episode. This time, it seems he’s in the fucking think of it if my armchair psychiatry tracks (full disclosure, I’m not an expert). And no surprise, it’s an especially tough climate for a mental illness.

There’s something brilliant about him. The more I’m exposed to manic bipolars and schizophrenics, the more I think all the so-called prophets of old must’ve had it. Yes, there’s delusion, but there’s also a charisma and brilliant intelligence about them. It’s like unfocused brain power. Chaos with bright spots. I was hooked onto every word.

I hope he’s OK.
Thanks Rune for the other perspective. I for one hope he's ok as well.

To be clear this is somewhat personal with me. I have a son who has been manic and this kind of stuff is very hard for me to listen to. I personally though don't find it brilliant or interesting, it is more disheartening for me from my personal encounter with this and also just shows how fucking wide spread this level of mental illness is. It is just sad.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsisandDesist View Post
Thanks Rune for the other perspective. I for one hope he's ok as well.

To be clear this is somewhat personal with me. I have a son who has been manic and this kind of stuff is very hard for me to listen to. I personally though don't find it brilliant or interesting, it is more disheartening for me from my personal encounter with this and also just shows how fucking wide spread this level of mental illness is. It is just sad.
I’m sorry. I get that my perspective comes from a place of privilege. I’m sure it’s completely different to have someone you love deal with it. I’m a healthcare worker, and I wasn’t offended, because I could tell something was off. I just didn’t want people to be upset with him or judge him given the circumstances. I think we can be more charitable with our expectations and more accepting.

But then, we’re not the ones in the trenches. It’s definitely more complex, I can imagine, to watch your son. Your feelings are valid, and I hope you’re OK too.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

I had a hard time with this episode. JFO was so lucid and smart last time, it was one of the best episodes. This one, he sounds like he's going manic again. Nerve racking and painful to hear him sound unwell. He can't focus and... Well I'm no expert and I don't know JFO personally he just seemed so much more like old JFO not the one that started the take your pills psycho show.

I had to listen a second time to the Christian Finnegan ep again to make me feel better again.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #60 (permalink)

Ooof

The very first KATG episode I listened to was a JFOD episode where he talked about his manic episode while being abroad. He is one of my very favorite guests and there have been times where he's been pretty even keel and times when he's seemed a little bit manic. I'm afraid this seems more than a little bit manic. What stuck out for me is that he didn't take Keith and Chemda's ribbing quite as good naturedly as he usually does when he's more even keel. Generally, he sort of laughs along with the teasing because he's looking back to conspiracies he believed in and acknowledging how bonkers they sound. This was different. He seemed a little more put off by it because JFOD seems to be taking his own points of view more seriously. Maybe that's just my interpretation. I'm glad someone is getting him help.