Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who made the most sense?
Keith 35 64.81%
Chemda 13 24.07%
JFOD 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree225Likes

Old 11-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #61 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

In one of JFOD's prior episodes, he discussed the specialty court in DC that helped him get treatment instead of just sending him to prison. That got me interested in the courts and now I plan to base my entire legal career in helping people in JFOD's position. Starting an internship in the spring to work with the local public defender who represents everyone in the Opioid Intervention Court. Point is, thanks JFOD for getting me started on a career path that I will love and will allow me to help so many people. Point is part two, I agree with everyone on pages 1-6 of the comments who says he needs some more help right now.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 6 others like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #62 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

For the record, it is 7:58 pm on November 17th and Chemda's episode with JFOD is not out.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 5 others like this.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #63 (permalink)

All Beef Patties - JFOD is correct about Agribusiness

You can't investigate much of how food is produced in the US because there are laws that were passed that makes it almost impossible to do so, but on Beef Patties, he is correct.

According to US Law, passed by the House and Senate, and approved by a President, an All Beef Patty only has to contain 20% Beef. The other meats can be buffalo, horse, camel, kangaroo, and more, but those are what I immediately remember.

This is one reason why the fast food restaurants in the UK advertise all British Beef. They cannot import the All Beef Patties from the US, as they are not all beef.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #64 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Non-scientist Scientists make Hulk Angry!

These conspiracy theories always seem to have paranoia associated with them. They end all in "some higher secret power wants total control over us."

Take "knowing your blood type" as part of your metadata along with location tracking via mobile phone and 5G. It's less glamorous and exciting as "global control", but that data could be used by local hospitals to know what type of blood to have in-stock based on the surrounding population. Or make correlations between blood types and susceptibility to food pathogens or flu outbreaks or any other research type activities. Or how effective are certain vaccines or prescription drugs based on daily activity and blood type.

Yes, marketing to consumers is a big part of companies wanting all this metadata, but in addition to customized shopping (which I actually like, it's great when I have a virtual private shopper for me), it also determines needs and potential future inventions based on what's missing from the market. It leads to companies directing their R&D towards potentially great products based on our needs from all this metadata.

As for natural vs. synthetic flavoring, it's the same molecule. And often synthetic is a cleaner and more efficient chemical process than having to extract something from the environment. Take Menthol, or Vanilla, or Vitamin C. You could grow tons of crops and spend all the resources on farming those products and all the waste associated with the unwanted parts of those plants, to usually end up with a less pure substance, OR you could synthetically produce them using specialized catalysts with higher selectivity and less chemical waste and energy waste to fulfill the product demands. Either way you're ending up with the exact same chemical molecule.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post
These conspiracy theories always seem to have paranoia associated with them. They end all in "some higher secret power wants total control over us."

Take "knowing your blood type" as part of your metadata along with location tracking via mobile phone and 5G. It's less glamorous and exciting as "global control", but that data could be used by local hospitals to know what type of blood to have in-stock based on the surrounding population. Or make correlations between blood types and susceptibility to food pathogens or flu outbreaks or any other research type activities. Or how effective are certain vaccines or prescription drugs based on daily activity and blood type.

Yes, marketing to consumers is a big part of companies wanting all this metadata, but in addition to customized shopping (which I actually like, it's great when I have a virtual private shopper for me), it also determines needs and potential future inventions based on what's missing from the market. It leads to companies directing their R&D towards potentially great products based on our needs from all this metadata.

As for natural vs. synthetic flavoring, it's the same molecule. And often synthetic is a cleaner and more efficient chemical process than having to extract something from the environment. Take Menthol, or Vanilla, or Vitamin C. You could grow tons of crops and spend all the resources on farming those products and all the waste associated with the unwanted parts of those plants, to usually end up with a less pure substance, OR you could synthetically produce them using specialized catalysts with higher selectivity and less chemical waste and energy waste to fulfill the product demands. Either way you're ending up with the exact same chemical molecule.
All I know is that we’ve got to get chemicals like dihydrogen monoxide out of our food! Lol
Old 11-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #66 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post

That’s absolute true about the molecules.
But sometimes the ingredients in nature are beneficial because of their composition with other ingredients, I’m thinking
secondary plant compounds.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #67 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Wouldn't kangaroo meat or camel be more expensive because it's not so common?
Old 11-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #68 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
Yes that be my assumption as well.

And btw Kangaroo meat is delicious
FingerLakes likes this.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #69 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Hearts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
In one of JFOD's prior episodes, he discussed the specialty court in DC that helped him get treatment instead of just sending him to prison. That got me interested in the courts and now I plan to base my entire legal career in helping people in JFOD's position. Starting an internship in the spring to work with the local public defender who represents everyone in the Opioid Intervention Court. Point is, thanks JFOD for getting me started on a career path that I will love and will allow me to help so many people. Point is part two, I agree with everyone on pages 1-6 of the comments who says he needs some more help right now.
Sending you so many good vibes for undertaking this type of work!
The Girl, Bucho and Maya like this.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #70 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
[Mansplaining]Price is not only a function of supply my dear, but also of demand.[/Mansplaining]