Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   3348: The Good Anger w/ Lewis Black (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/3348-good-anger-w-lewis-black-22018/)

Keith 11-23-2020 04:18 PM

3348: The Good Anger w/ Lewis Black

Mark David Chapman’s $400,000 album; President Trump, COVID-19, and the holidays; Opie and Anthony’s Naked Teen Voyeur Bus; Rudy Giuliani as NYC’s mayor; dating and sex

Guest:
Lewis Black
http://static-3.keithandthegirl.net/...ck-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Scorpion 11-23-2020 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=Keith;886764]

Guest:
Lewis Black
http://static-3.keithandthegirl.net/...ck-100x100.jpg
:eek:

<giddy with excitement>
I love this man!

well I don't love LOVE him, you know, I like love him or love like him... you know a fan love not a stalker LOVE. maybe I need to use another word... let me start over.

HA, this guy is so good, he is like really funny and stuff. I love it.... like it when I see him in stuff, very entertaining. I'm so glad he is on your show, I can't wait to listen. I'm sure I'm going to love this one... <dang it!>

Oh whatever, Lewis Black I love you, your great. But seriously get over yourself and don't take it so serious. I'm a fan not some freak. ;)

I think I just put the wink face in the wrong spot...

Scorpion 11-23-2020 09:22 PM

liking this epesode

I like it, it was so good. eh who am I kidding I LOVED it! I want to marry it!

Like Keith I'm really surprised he is so positive, in particular about people. If anything the last four years has taught me is that a large portion of people are shit. And Mr. Black is wrong. I have a friend who is Republican, he votes Republican he doesn't care what that is or means he votes for his team and is pissed when he looses and always hates the other team. He's my friend in part because I can't take him serious because this is so ridiculous. <Lewis, don't be offended I said you were wrong please, I love you.> ;)

Scorpion 11-23-2020 09:22 PM

As for this COVID situation I think we are in this until around April at least. Right now hospitals are at capacity in way too many places and while care has improved the survivability rate it does depend on resources not becoming too short and people able to get care. As for the vaccine it will take months to get it distributed and to get enough people vaccinated that it makes a difference. Many people are worried about the first round and wont go. Others will never go due to politics or religious belief. Still we also don't know if being vaccinated will protect you for a month, or a year. Not to mention that the virus changes and the vaccine may not work fully. The upside is that it should make this very much less deadly.

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 03:50 AM

We have 3 potential vaccines for Covid today.
They aren't on the market yet, but it looks good.
Maybe spend at least 1 minute on it? The science was very hard working.

And now I'm waiting for every negative thing about it.

I heard:
Lots of people will refuse the vaccine. I say, but you dont have to be one of them.
With the vaccine you will be able to go out, not die or kill your family.

What about the side effects?
What about covid side effects I say? Like you know, death?

Big pharma will make all the money!
Unfortunately not my company. I say. And some of them is still little pharma! Moderna and BioNTech arent big yet.

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion (Post 886771)
As for this COVID situation I think we are in this until around April at least. Right now hospitals are at capacity in way too many places and while care has improved the survivability rate it does depend on resources not becoming too short and people able to get care. As for the vaccine it will take months to get it distributed and to get enough people vaccinated that it makes a difference. Many people are worried about the first round and wont go. Others will never go due to politics or religious belief. Still we also don't know if being vaccinated will protect you for a month, or a year. Not to mention that the virus changes and the vaccine may not work fully. The upside is that it should make this very much less deadly.

Every virus changes. Its evolution.
And we still have flu vaccine every year.
How come? ( I know how. I ask you)

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion (Post 886771)

Aren't we all depressed enough?

Scorpion 11-24-2020 06:43 AM

Funny you actually can’t dispute my comments you just don’t like it. You don’t have to like the science. Just like you didn’t like it when I said people were coming down with COVID-19 twice. THE SCIENCE says that immunity people have gained from having COVID hasn’t lasted long in at least some cases. The real SCIENTIFIC concern that if the bodies natural response to the virus doesn’t remain over time then the vaccine won’t be as effective.

People lie a lot so I’m hoping all those people saying they don’t want the vaccine a are just lies and they will get the vaccine. I will get the vaccine and anyone I hear doubt it I’m ready to shame them, we can’t ignore this dialog

Yes Apia viruses change duh, I also said I hope the vaccine will help make the virus less deadly. Just like the flu vaccines do. Again hoping the immune response is long lasting. Science doesn’t know why some people get sick more than once, let’s hope they figure that out. I think April is early to make and distribute based on a voluntary vaccination for 7.8 billion people. At this point scientists don’t know exactly what % of the population needs to be vaccinated to reach a herd immunity. For measles it’s 94% for polio it’s 95%. Some varieties of the flu require less than 20% to reach the herd threshold. I haven’t found any reliable estimates on what the threshold is for COVID-19 but I’m guessing it’s in the 90’s

That may seem impossible but it’s not for most countries. China and India will have the hardest time because of the large population that is spread out over very rural areas. Counties that have limited coverage of health care facilities will also struggle until the WHO can organize vaccine centers in those areas.

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 07:23 AM

I heard its about 70 % but i agree that no one knows for sure.
There is a lot we dont know.
Getting Covid twice is possible but very rare.

I just dont think seeing everything in the most negative light is helpful. The reality is bad enough. All the deaths.
Here we have medical innovations made in an extremely short time, a great example what impressive things humans can do.

The companies were pressured by Trump to speed up research to help him get reelected and they refused because it would have been unethical.

That's something good! I dont know how long the vaccine will last.

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 07:28 AM

I'm in home office every day and I'm sad. And I know I have a good situation.
I need some hope that one day I will be allowed out or it's going to get worse with me.
I wish every human on the planet health ( maybe not Trump)
but my Nr one question is when can I get a vaccine in Germany.

Scorpion 11-24-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia resurrected (Post 886789)
I'm in home office every day and I'm sad. And I know I have a good situation.
I need some hope that one day I will be allowed out or it's going to get worse with me.
I wish every human on the planet health ( maybe not Trump)
but my Nr one question is when can I get a vaccine in Germany.

I feel like that is avoiding the truth for what you want. I can’t live that way. I don’t think I’m being pessimistic. If I’m thinking vaccination is going to be complete by January and it’s not I’ll be more sad than hearing we are looking at the second quarter. I also feel in other countries you might have a better chance. With 74 million Americans voted for Trump I’m not hopeful those will get the vaccine quickly if available. Can’t reach herd threshold without those ass holes!

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 08:15 AM

I don’t think January, that’s for sure.
I hope things will improve somewhere in the first half of 2021, and improve slowly.
First the health workers will get the vaccine, and than risk patients.
That’s not me.
But this will be an improvement for the hospitals and the situation there.

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 08:21 AM

I don’t event count on the 70 or how many %
Everyone who gets the vaccine and it works will not give Covid to someone else.
So we need to start where we have some influence, among our friends and families.

And yes, a Covid positive Trump supporter is a danger, but mostly for those who refused to get the vaccine. ( other anti vaccine people)
Luckily kids, who can’t advocate for themselves have a good chance for no or mild symptoms.

Lanfear 11-24-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion (Post 886793)
I feel like that is avoiding the truth for what you want. I can’t live that way. I don’t think I’m being pessimistic. If I’m thinking vaccination is going to be complete by January and it’s not I’ll be more sad than hearing we are looking at the second quarter. I also feel in other countries you might have a better chance. With 74 million Americans voted for Trump I’m not hopeful those will get the vaccine quickly if available. Can’t reach herd threshold without those ass holes!

The estimates I've seen for Germany are claiming ~9 months until a reasonable approximation for herd immunity.
Which makes sense because giving the shots takes time because it needs to be safely administered so you can't just line up people and stab them and it's two doses.

But once we get the frontline/essential workers taken care off first things will get safer fast.

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 886796)
The estimates I've seen for Germany are claiming ~9 months until a reasonable approximation for herd immunity.
Which makes sense because giving the shots takes time because it needs to be safely administered so you can't just line up people and stab them and it's two doses.

But once we get the frontline/essential workers taken care off first things will get safer fast.

I agree.

shoebootie 11-24-2020 09:26 AM

This was such a great episode! I LOVE Lewis Black! Makes sense he could be called "Keith's Real Dad"

Apia resurrected 11-24-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoebootie (Post 886801)
This was such a great episode! I LOVE Lewis Black! Makes sense he could be called "Keith's Real Dad"

He was really cool and didn’t have many or any sorry you are over 40 problems.

bag of lazers 11-24-2020 12:51 PM

I've been a Lewis Black fan since the White Album. I wish y'all could have seen the size of my grin when I saw he was the guest. What a great episode!

FreydNot 11-24-2020 03:58 PM

Do you believe in people? Not like I used to. I used to feel like most people meant well and would behave. These trump years have taught me there are a lot more people who just want to watch the world burn than I thought.

I feel like I'm starting to become part of the problem which I have to watch out for. I don't want to assume the worst in people immediately so I chose not to. But I'll turn on your very quick when you show your true colors.

I want to believe the best in people, but FUCK, look around.

Scorpion 11-24-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 886796)

So I said by April, that's 6 months, I guess I was being optimistic.
9 months put us in the July timeframe for Germany. US is much larger I hope it's about the same or better for most countries... scary times.

thirteen 11-25-2020 10:06 AM

I didn't know much about Lewis Black before this show but I recognized his name. Loved everything about today's episode. What a gem.

astrokahn 11-25-2020 04:56 PM

I just have one question:
Where the FUCK is Mushroom Mike???!??

Lanfear 11-25-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion (Post 886807)
So I said by April, that's 6 months, I guess I was being optimistic.
9 months put us in the July timeframe for Germany. US is much larger I hope it's about the same or better for most countries... scary times.

I don't think we realistically can start vaccinations before January

For the timeframes to be similar a big factor will be how efficiently you can distribute:
Accessible location by car so you need parking and by public transport so people without cars can get there, wheelchair access, social distancing, etc
Costs I imagine I'll get mine for free
Documentation It needs two doses so you need to track and follow up who got what and prove you had yours if they make that a requirement for e.g. travel
Coverage you need to get as many/all states on the same system ASAP

Simply looking at how similar issues worked for election season? I'd be worried

Scorpion 11-25-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 886815)
I don't think we realistically can start vaccinations before January

I work with a guy who's dad is a MD. He is scheduled to get his first shot of the vaccine Jan. 10th. It comes in two doses. I don't know when the second shot is. But that means front line workers are getting there shots starting January.

Hard to say when it will be available to the public. Depends on a lot of things but I know pharmacies are already ordering it. Also, it's going to be hard to distribute. According to this guys father the vaccine has to be stored at -70F, obviously it is warmed before injection but it doesn't have much of a self life above that temp. For industrialized nations this wont be that much of an issue. Other nations even China and India that is industrialized has large rural areas where this is a problem.

I don't know of the vaccines that are coming out how many have similar issues. Hopefully, this will change so it can be more widely available.

BrianAlt 12-27-2020 05:46 AM

I love Lewis Black and my wife does too. Probably more than I do. I loved the episode. I want to share it with her, but the only time I’d get a chance is if we’re traveling somewhere. And that’s not happening too much right now. I have to figure this out.

Scorpion 12-28-2020 06:33 PM

I have been wanting to watch his new special but hadn't yet this totally reminded me to do that and it was GREAT! I've watched most of his specials and seen him live twice. I would definitely like to see him live again once this shit is past. His live performance is a must for a fan, he is so good live.