Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Was Keith out of line?
Yes 24 37.50%
No 40 62.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree312Likes

Old 06-16-2021, 12:09 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
I think only a trans person can decide that.
Same as only a person of color can decide if a behavior is racist or not. I, a white person might think something is totally fine, because of my own blind spots.
I disagree. In what way was keith’s question transphobic? I mean no disrespect but maybe trans people are too close to the situation to assess whether someone is transphobic or not. They may feel offended or think Keith is a jerk, but that doesn’t warrant labeling him transphobic. The term is thrown out constantly these days, a buzzword that shuts down any real dialogue.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:34 AM   #82 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
For the record, I dont think you were transphobic. I think she was hostile to that question coming from you due to her own trauma, which is for her to work through, and what ultimately made this one a fail. She shouldn’t have agreed to be on a talk show.

It’s like me getting tired of ppl asking me where I’m from or what I am, bc they don’t immediately know what they’re looking at due to my being mixed. I can get angry about the nature of my identity or I can embrace that those questions will come; and oftentimes from people who are just plain curious. Unfortunately, for trans folk, their identity is wrapped up in sex change operations and gender identity, so that’s what people will ask about, which admittedly I can imagine would suck after the nth time.
Was your documentary called Being Mixed?
Scorpion likes this.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:40 AM   #83 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera Again View Post
I disagree. In what way was keith’s question transphobic? I mean no disrespect but maybe trans people are too close to the situation to assess whether someone is transphobic or not. They may feel offended or think Keith is a jerk, but that doesn’t warrant labeling him transphobic. The term is thrown out constantly these days, a buzzword that shuts down any real dialogue.
I didn’t bring it up.
But would you also say black people are too close to the situation to assess if something is racist or not?
Scorpion likes this.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:13 AM   #84 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I didn’t bring it up.
But would you also say black people are too close to the situation to assess if something is racist or not?
Please advise.
( it does feel great to say it!)
Scorpion likes this.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:16 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn’t bring it up.
Well - yes. People can feel hurt or angry or outraged but that doesn’t mean they know where the other person is coming from. Again, i believe in dialogue, not hurling buzzwords.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:33 AM   #86 (permalink)

Here a story that shows me in a asleep mode 20 years ago:

I, a white woman in Europe who saw herself as non racist but obviously had some blind spots.
And we have an other kind of racism here. We hardly have any black people here and a different history.
A friend asked me if I thought a white person dressing up as a black person for a costume party was something racist. She heard about it and didn’t know what to make of it.
It was, as I said about 20 years ago.
I thought about it and in my logic it wasn’t. I thought because I as a white person wouldn’t mind a black person dressing up as a white person, it was also ok the other way. ( I never did it, it was just in my thoughts)
I didn’t know about the history of black face. It also not something done here in Germany.
So was my opinion ok just because I didn’t intend to be racist? No, it was not.
Luckily I learned about it and I cringe when I think about it.
I tell you this story with myself in the wrong to say that the good Intension didn’t free me from being racist.
Scorpion and shoebootie like this.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #87 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera Again View Post
Well - yes. People can feel hurt or angry or outraged but that doesn’t mean they know where the other person is coming from. Again, i believe in dialogue, not hurling buzzwords.
😂😂😂

Cmon fam. That’s ridiculous.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
😂😂😂

Cmon fam. That’s ridiculous.
Thank you.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #89 (permalink)

Interesting thread and a lot of interesting points and perspectives.

This person makes their living in the entertainment industry by supposedly being funny, I mean FFS the documentary is called "Funny that Way". The film company asked for her to be on the podcast, mainly, presumably to attract attention to the film. From what I recall, the gender reassignment surgery was at least a decade ago?

This person makes jokes about the surgery in their act.

One would think that they could have easily deflected Keith's question and put in one of her one-liners, and responded, "I don't really know the details I thought I was getting a tonsillectomy.", which before you roast me is one of her jokes found on Youtube. Easy tag line, Keith would have got the hint, people would have laughed and found her engaging.

If I had heard that interview, I would likely watch the documentary. With the person I saw and how they responded, nope, not interesting, miserable person, wtf am I going to learn from them or be entertained by.

Let's be clear here, for some reason she didn't like Keith from the get-go that was clear.

She had a real opportunity to be funny and she wasn't and let's be clear here, that is her job.
Scorpion and shoebootie like this.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Was your documentary called Being Mixed?
This is why I disagree with the idea that you were transphobic or out of line. I really think it was a problem on her end with you, for whatever reason.

The idea Hera Again brought up on people being “too close” to something to assess racism or transphobia is equally ridiculous. At the same time, I can appreciate that some of us are bewildered at some of the others qualifying this as transphobia.
Scorpion likes this.