Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Reiki
Yes 2 14.29%
No 12 85.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree47Likes

Old 10-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

This guest appearance on the X-Rae podcast was undersold! What a character.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Cool, I’m the only one who said yes to Reiki
And

1. you know where I’m working
2. I 100% said yes for the positive attention you receive there. Not because I think there is some magic/ secret power to it.
Keith and shoebootie like this.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
Cool, I’m the only one who said yes to Reiki
And

1. you know where I’m working
2. I 100% said yes for the positive attention you receive there. Not because I think there is some magic/ secret power to it.
Doesn't support for this placebo/magical cure stuff undermine actual medicine?
Old 10-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I really loved Chemda's rationalization of reiki and how it can "work" for some people. I've had reiki done to me, and it surprisingly helped ??? But I still answered no in the poll because I don't actually believe that energy is being channeled from the universe in magic waves to cure what ails me.

Like Chemda said, the act of caring and being with someone, laying and being calm, having someone give you that space of being cared for, that is a meditation in a sense ... whatever you need to call it to make it work for you, if you like it fine, it's not hurting anyone.

It's the way I rationalize my crystals, tarot, etc - I don't think "this magic rock is going to fix my life" It is like a physical reminder of the things I want to be focusing on that day. When I had my math exam recently, I picked out some helpful crystals and put them in my pencil case, however I also studied really hard and reviewed my materials. But having a physical object that I can touch and hold, reminding myself "you got this, bitch, I believe in you" is a sort of comfort. The tarot, I don't believe is predicting my future or anything, but can help me interpret my situations/questions in a way I might not have looked at before. They're all tools in my self-work.

For more deep-dive into bougie new-age wellness type shams, check out season 2 of The Dream podcast (season one focused on MLMs). It's really good.
The Girl and littlp like this.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag of lazers View Post
Reiki is classic placebo stuff. It might be the most transparent of quack practices that currently exist. If it did work it would have passed this rather brilliant study with flying colors.

I have a friend who was (as a courtesy) letting a long-distance friend do Reiki on my friends PICTURE, in hopes that he would feel it from a distance. And of course my cooky anti-vax mom used to believe in it, so..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Girl likes this.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I can do it with a picture a couple states over but no too many
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag of lazers View Post
Doesn't support for this placebo/magical cure stuff undermine actual medicine?
No, because it also works with real medicine.
This is how our brains work, we have to know it and deal with it.

The best combination would be real medicine combined with a trustful relationship with the doctor or other health professional.
The placebo effect can make up 20-30% in a study. Meaning that some condition improves 20-30% just by the taking a placebo.
If you add a for example 50% improvement from the real medicine, the placebo can be an add on to it.

A nocebo is the opposite of the placebo. You don’t trust the medicine and tend to observe the negative side effects way more.
Our brains are strange.