Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   3492: Open Meeting w/ Beth Lapides (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/3492-open-meeting-w-beth-lapides-22352/)

Keith 01-21-2022 04:37 PM

3492: Open Meeting w/ Beth Lapides

Beth Lapides joins KATG to discuss her new audiobook So You Need to Decide. The gang discusses AA, dumping your partner after your mother takes their kidney, and a newscaster getting hit by a car on air in front of an unempathetic news anchor in the studio. The trio also discusses the deaths of Meat Loaf and Louis Anderson!!!

Guest:
Beth Lapides
http://static-4.keithandthegirl.net/...s-100x100.jpeg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Keith 01-21-2022 05:45 PM

Turns out Mr. Loaf was anti-mask/anti-vax and died of COVID.

Paige_H 01-21-2022 06:28 PM

Oh man! What a fabulous guest and episode!!!!! (Oh no I revealed my psychosis) I loved how open Beth was. I also identify as an addict of all things unhealthy, not just an alcoholic (not to brag or anything). And I think Keith met his grammar and punctuation soulmate. Looking forward to seeing Beth on KATG again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apia resurrected 01-22-2022 01:03 AM

I’m pretty good with most decisions but there are certain areas where I can’t.
Mostly it’s one.
It’s the question “ should we cook something at home or should we get takeout and if so where”

You might think that’s an easy one. For me, it’s often system overload. Too many pros and cons.
(what’s faster, is it wasteful?, what do I want, one kid likes this, the other something else, the one place only takes cash, do I have to go to the ATM before, will the tomatoes in my kitchen be still ok tomorrow, could there be Eggs in the food and I’m allergic, it doesn’t look like it but I had problems before…..) Mr Apia knows about my dilemma so this is something he has mostly to decide.

Apia resurrected 01-22-2022 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 891813)

I didn’t know that but I remembered that he was a problematic right wing person. With this I’m like Keith. I don’t forget. You did something really bad? ( rape, hate crimes, regular violent crimes, being a right wing nut job) Apia will remember.

Apia resurrected 01-22-2022 01:12 AM

Wikipedia:
In a 2017 interview with Billboard, he made positive remarks about President Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump, and Donald Trump Jr.; they had worked together on The Celebrity Apprentice in 2011.[133] In an interview with the Daily Mail in 2021, he called Greta Thunberg "brainwashed" due to her views on climate change.[134]

He was critical of restrictions brought about in reaction to the COVID-19 pandemic, telling the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in August 2021, "I hug people in the middle of COVID ... I understood stopping life for a little while, but they cannot continue to stop life because of politics." He described a person who called for people on airplanes to wear masks as a "Nazi" and "power-mad". Meat Loaf then said: "If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled."[135][136]

Well you got your wish:
https://www.tmz.com/2022/01/21/meat-...d-dies-singer/

thirteen 01-22-2022 10:28 AM

I liked that Beth fully enjoyed all of Chemda's jokes.

Apia resurrected 01-22-2022 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paige_H (Post 891814)
Oh man! What a fabulous guest and episode!!!!! (Oh no I revealed my psychosis) I loved how open Beth was. I also identify as an addict of all things unhealthy, not just an alcoholic (not to brag or anything). And I think Keith met his grammar and punctuation soulmate. Looking forward to seeing Beth on KATG again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was really a great fit for the show.

Im not an addict that’s something I can say for sure, because I get bored using a substance too often.
For example, I was a smoker of cigarettes at parties for example, it never transitioned into my normal life. I stopped it because I got bored by it. I noticed that i didn’t enjoy it anymore.

But I can be an obsessive person in other aspects of my life.

Keith 01-22-2022 12:20 PM

I feel like around how perfect she is, Apia is trying to tell us she killed a person or 3.

Paige_H 01-22-2022 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia resurrected (Post 891823)
She was really a great fit for the show.

Im not an addict that’s something I can say for sure, because I get bored using a substance too often.
For example, I was a smoker of cigarettes at parties for example, it never transitioned into my normal life. I stopped it because I got bored by it. I noticed that i didn’t enjoy it anymore.

But I can be an obsessive person in other aspects of my life.

I wish I had the genetic makeup or whatever combination of circumstances that makes the difference between becoming addicted to substances and not. I’ve always been jealous of people like you who can indulge in moderation and not become addicted. [emoji846] I got hooked on cigarettes about 30 years ago and have been fighting with them ever since. I’ve managed to “quit” a couple times but after about a year or two I go back to it. I’ve quit drinking alcohol, but have to make that decision every time the urge comes on. I like what Beth said being freed from the addiction. Freedom is the goal.

Apia resurrected 01-22-2022 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 891824)
I feel like around how perfect she is, Apia is trying to tell us she killed a person or 3.

Haha.
I think the fact that I’m not an addict is more genetic.
My parents aren’t addicts, they don’t smoke and drink sometimes a glass of wine with dinner on a special occasion. I have never seen anyone of them drunk ever. Also none of my grandparents were alcoholics and this in Poland.
I know neighbors and colleagues were mocking my grandfather a little for drinking maybe one beer or not at all while they were getting hammered with vodka.

And because life is repetition, I married a man who maybe drinks one Glas of wine a month.

Apia resurrected 01-22-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paige_H (Post 891827)
I wish I had the genetic makeup or whatever combination of circumstances that makes the difference between becoming addicted to substances and not. I’ve always been jealous of people like you who can indulge in moderation and not become addicted. [emoji846] I got hooked on cigarettes about 30 years ago and have been fighting with them ever since. I’ve managed to “quit” a couple times but after about a year or two I go back to it. I’ve quit drinking alcohol, but have to make that decision every time the urge comes on. I like what Beth said being freed from the addiction. Freedom is the goal.

Once I heard a woman describe it on a podcast how it is for me and it was the only time.
I had some phases in my life when i was out more and drank more and a few weeks into it my body says that’s enough, I get it. It’s boring. I don’t enjoy this feeling anymore and want something else. Imagine if you ate the same dish every day, you will be over it some day.
The reward of using something goes away for me after a few times.
With smoking, I tried it when I was 15, the friend who tried with me got addicted.
I never did.
Once I was in Scotland for 2 weeks with friends and I bought some duty free cigarettes on the way there, smoked maybe 10 a day there.
When I came back home the habit didn’t come with me. A returned home as a non smoker. And it wasn’t because I tried to. I just was over it again.

nordcharonmir 01-22-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paige_H (Post 891827)

Paige, I think you may find some relief in re-framing your approach. Instead of trying to "quit" cigs and alc you may want to focus on how to have a better life. Who do you want to be? What could your life be like if you cared about yourself, what does that look like in 5 years? Would you recommend to someone you cared about to smoke and binge drink?

Create a picture of a meaningful life for yourself and what failure looks like in your life. Really emphasize the negative outcomes in the mid/long term of these behaviors and decide if avoiding that is worth it to you, it should be if you take any time at all to think through this.

Paige_H 01-22-2022 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordcharonmir (Post 891830)
it should be if you take any time at all to think through this.

Oh thank you, Nordi! You’re the best. I hope I can be just like you when I grow up!

Svage 01-23-2022 08:38 AM

Loved Beth on the Show, definitely a Best New Guest Nominee

I liked the tone of her voice. It had a lot of grandma vibes, so that was comforting in a way. Have her back on again soon !!

Skyler 01-23-2022 11:12 AM

This episode was Art. When you can just feel the guest having as good of a time as the audience.

I had to pause from laughing at Chemda's reaction to Keith's death segue.

nordcharonmir 01-24-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paige_H (Post 891833)
Oh thank you, Nordi! You’re the best. I hope I can be just like you when I grow up!

You won't be able to with that kinda attitude. Good luck with all that. Don't go to a qualified psychologist to deal with these things cuz they'll tell you the same thing and that could be triggering.

mxmalloryjane 01-25-2022 12:26 AM

I just love when (I think) I can feel everyone falling in love with each other real time... that sensation was palpable in this episode. Hope I'm not projecting. Best new guest right outta the gate.

shoebootie 01-25-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia resurrected (Post 891818)
I didn’t know that but I remembered that he was a problematic right wing person. With this I’m like Keith. I don’t forget. You did something really bad? ( rape, hate crimes, regular violent crimes, being a right wing nut job) Apia will remember.

He was fondly remembered by so many as being one of the warmest and most genuinely nice people to work with. And then he's like an anti-mask, trump-accepting nutter. So it's pretty much reminiscent of anyone we have in our lives who are great on the surface till you get to learn "oh no they're an actual moron" and have to just gently step away.

Ah wells.

starscream 02-04-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 891813)

It's very weird they didn't report a cause of death originally. Seems like there wasn't any confusion about why he was sick in the first place.

The good news, Keith, is that he hardly wrote any of his songs and didn't write any of his biggest (and I assume best) songs, including "Life Is A Lemon."

Keith 02-04-2022 03:42 PM

He didn't write it! Well now I hate that song!

Thanks for the news, doctor.

starscream 02-04-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 892008)
He didn't write it! Well now I hate that song!

Thanks for the news, doctor.

I think I was saying you could still like it because the asshole didn't write it, but you're probably right, professor.