Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should Will Smith’s King Richard Oscar be taken away?
Yes 9 28.13%
No 23 71.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree40Likes

Old 04-01-2022, 05:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

There are too many “why do you all care about this so much” responses followed by paragraphs of thoughts on the subject fue same person.

Chris Rock got physically assaulted on live tv by his colleague. To say that Chris did something to deserve it for telling a bad joke is amazing to read. “He should have knows better” is not a defense just like it’s not when someone gets sexually assaulted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith, littlp, shoebootie and 2 others like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:36 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
There are too many “why do you all care about this so much” responses followed by paragraphs of thoughts on the subject fue same person.

Chris Rock got physically assaulted on live tv by his colleague. To say that Chris did something to deserve it for telling a bad joke is amazing to read. “He should have knows better” is not a defense just like it’s not when someone gets sexually assaulted.

Are the responses "why do you care so much" or are they "why do you care so much about this particular aspect of it and expressing it in ways that are problematic and ignoring all other aspects of it despite multiple people telling you it matters?"

Is sexual assault the same as a slap? You see how the hypothetical always seem to compare it to an extreme situation?

How come no one compares it to someone calling a woman a bitch, or a black person a nigger, or a gay person the f-slur? Much more comparable situations?

Why? Cause when some slaps someone for saying those things every reasonable person understands.

Would they think the person who slapped someone for calling them a slur was now an uncontrollable brute who can no longer be trusted not to be in public without violence? No.

Its because this particular instance is about the oppression of a group of people no one gives a damn about. Eventhough the history and the oppression is just as deep.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:05 AM   #33 (permalink)

Imagine how much bullshit and discrimination black women and girls had to go through for a literal federal law to be needed to protect against hair discrimination in workplaces and schools. Like how much it truly had to be impacting our lives for it to not only be proposed and advocated for over a decade and actually pass in the house this year. Like truly think about that.

The shit runs deep. Back to slavery and yall wanna yada yada yada it. Fuck that.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/18/10876...ion-hair-style

Then you can go on telling black women what jokes aren't a big deal like I know you want to. Cause it's always fuck black women.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Is it okay to touch black women’s hair whenever I want to?
Old 04-01-2022, 08:25 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Is it okay to touch black women’s hair whenever I want to?
Go for it.

It'll give you enough content to spend a few episodes calling her violent and out of control for "overracting" to the disrespect.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlp View Post
Also I don’t think he should be allowed to talk about it on The Red Table because isn’t it illegal to profit over a crime you committed? I imagine they get some kind of revenue from that show.

I dont think he's been charged with a crime though.
Apia resurrected likes this.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
I dont think he's been charged with a crime though.
Exactly. I think this only applies after a conviction and with this incidence Chris would have to press charges first.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I want us to be clear, what exactly do you think I said about Will's actions?

And why would the existence of differing opinions about Will's actions matter in relation to what I was saying about black women being offended by hair jokes?

You are clearly saying the slap was justified. And I think Wanda and Lonis opinions on this are especially relevant being that they are black women comics, who have had to deal with bullshit from men in their career being both women and black, I would argue their opinions matter a lot in this context. They also worked on this awards show, which was supposed to be a major change and celebration of black voices. Will took that away with his violence.

And the slap, it feels insulting to call it a slap like it was some minor hit. Will swing his hand back like he was in the damn MLB.

What I don’t see you wanting to talk about is how it affected the other black actors, producers etc. how it took away from their moment. They put a ton of work and deserved to be able to have their moment. And it was overshadowed by his violence.

You aren’t going to convince us that Will’s violence is ok. And you aren’t going to scare Chemda or Keith away or myself from talking about by suggesting we are ignorant racists.

Why do you even listen to the show?

This whole thing is really simple-Will’s reaction to a stupid and bad joke was violent and unacceptable and Chris didn’t deserve it. You can go ahead and continue to be on your self righteous pedestal-but you aren’t going to get what you want out of it-unless you are just being a troll, which a part of me suspects.

Keith likes this.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #39 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Do people actually care about Chris Rock or do they care about the "sanctity" of whatever code they think was broken that night?

It's giving white moderate. It's giving implicit biases coming out to play. It's giving black brute characterizations and microagressions.
I can't help but remember that dueling with friggin guns was deemed "eh, look the other way" in this country. It wasn't that long ago.

We have a lot to contend with when we face the true nature of man, and what we aspire to be to. At our cores, we're violent and gross and reactive. But we want to think we are better than that. Most of the time we are. Sometimes people snap and aren't their best selves.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:41 AM   #40 (permalink)

Mermaid IS making valid points on why the joke was inappropriate. all of that is being lost in the narrative. Will’s actions made Chris the victim. i feel the better choice would have been to champion her and shine a light on that during his speech instead on doubling down on the idea that violence makes you the hero.