Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you fired a gun before you were 10 years old?
Yes 5 17.24%
No 24 82.76%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree25Likes

Old 01-30-2023, 08:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I was shooting by the time I was 5 years old. Always grew up around a lot of guns. Always taught proper etiquette. It was just normal. I was also born in 1980 so smoking and drinking while pregnant were only questionable at best. Times have definitely changed. I don't have kids of my own, but I would definitely hand it differently with them.
MongoMike likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

LMAO i just remembered how I was allowed to shoot a bb gun when we went camping out in the country... I had zero training/instruction/safety guidance. "Here's some cans... go shootin"
Old 01-30-2023, 08:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

My dad had me handle a revolver when I was five or six a friend's acreage, he wasn't impressed by my form especially from the recoil. A few years later he would be critical of my skills in handball the first and only time I played it stating that I threw like a girl, obviously not caring that I was a girl who had never played this game with grown adults, right now I'm not sure if my dad was trying to market me to some other adult male, my dad took me to a lot of places with adult males around, not many females if any age. My dad was an asshole, probably still is haven't seen him in decades but that's another story. Hey has everyone heard about the JR-15, a child sized model of an AR-15 so you can do mass casualties with skill and practice with your parents?
Old 01-31-2023, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy1e View Post
Chemda has probably saved herself from her knee pain by cycling. Doctors usually advise people with knee issues to do exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee to support it. I hope your knee continues to be strong, dear Chemda.
This is exactly right. Strong musculature around the joint will help a ton w/ managing joint issues. A strong hamstring can cover for a bad ACL and quad for PCL. Biking is not the most efficient approach; weight lifting (properly) is really your best bet here. See below further discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
One more vote for cycling. You move the knee, it’s low impact, the weight isn’t all an the knee.
I think this made a huge difference.
This however is wrong (surprise, surprise from Apnea Reinvigorated). Incredibly submaximal loading of a bike such that the forces are probably only marginally higher than walking (if your getting after it) probably wont do much. I do agree that doing something dumb like running isn't a smart move here given the impact stress is counterproductive in this position. The best possible way to slow OA is through intermittent high levels of hydro-static stress. This means mechanically loading the joint intermittently (rather than just being a fat and chronically carrying additional load). Hydro stresses are what will keep your cartilage healthy and the bone disregulation at bay. Axial tensile stress will help repair/grow bone but that isn't particularly relevant here but could help with some of your other supporting tendon connection spots etc overtime which can't hurt. I don't think the movement is the key here, loading properly will get you far further.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedcj View Post
My dad had me handle a revolver when I was five or six a friend's acreage, he wasn't impressed by my form especially from the recoil.
Gave you no training. You couldn't manage recoil properly. Left the day more dangerous because you can shoot a gun and have no control of where the rounds are going down range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedcj View Post
Hey has everyone heard about the JR-15, a child sized model of an AR-15 so you can do mass casualties with skill and practice with your parents?
A scaled down version of the AR platform used as a training aid for children to learn as how to safely handle a firearm chambered in LR .22. The weapon also includes a parental safety that requires substantial force to release. This is a step up from a BB gun but a far superior training tool to help better men and women than your father teach their children properly rather than what yours did..."just squeeze off a few rounds who gives a fuck! Now, who wants to stare at my daughter a bit while I get a beer?"
Old 01-31-2023, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Shot long bow with my father as a child. When I got about 12 we moved up to BB gun. He covered safety every time we brought out any weapon. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I now do just like dad taught me but follow how we did it at work and have a safety briefing prior to starting the day and again every time we restart or a condition changes and every time a new tool (gun, knife, gloves, pad, helmet, anything) is introduced there is a stand down and the safety features of the specific instrument is discussed.

At the range the firing line is monitored by standoff personnel at 120s. I stand hand on shoulder of first timers and nervous people with a plan to disarm at all times. This is basic bitch shit, guys.

I have trained probably thousands of first time shooters over the years and I have never had a single person flagged...and I never will because we have a plan.

Taking a bunch of guns out and hoping for the best is not a plan.

Last edited by MongoMike; 01-31-2023 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling erro