Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie
I'm with Chemda, the meal/food is just a prop for the business meeting. You can't treat it like it's your personal night out and you're going to hoard every last bit of food. Part of acting cool in business I guess, at least they're not asking to play golf or something to close the deal like it was the 50's...
I'll take Keith on this one. He ain't selling normal so if he tried to behave with some decorum, it would've sold him as a poser.

It would've been even classier if he'd brought his own burrito and asked for some guacamole in the middle of the meal.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

So those that side with keith, how should he act when trying to get another loan? Acting buisness like, the last time did not get him one, what should he wear and do in the next meeting with the asian banker.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG
So those that side with keith, how should he act when trying to get another loan? Acting buisness like, the last time did not get him one, what should he wear and do in the next meeting with the asian banker.
2 steps:

first offer the banker a drink

then

------------ semen ice cubes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

BA DUM PSHHH
Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Asian Banker

Maybe it's time to find new lines of funding, in addition to attempting the traditional means. Convince someone like Sir Richard Branson that you've got something people want. Get investors who get paid back if profit reaches a certain level.
Or you could always hang around outside bars and roll a few drunks every night. Whatever..
Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG
Creative people don't do business, and business don't do creative. I'll reference Mr. Buck Swope, for those of you who don't get it.

To play the game (the real game), they need to be incorporated and represented by a business agent. Incorporation costs pennies and Michael and/or older brother will suffice.

They need other-than-bank financing to attract any attention. Quarterly revenue statements, a business plan, established partnerships. If I were them, I'd start at the SBA and begin to accumulate their requirements first, as they're stricter than a bank. Once you've been able to establish that you're a serious money maker with potential, a bank will pay more attention. An online bank or credit union are also viable options.

Keep in mind that they may need collateral. That may be real estate. Retail goods on hand, potential deals and spurious income are not considered serious enough for collateral.

A backer is key. A backer who does business with said bank. Local branches of your trusty checking-account operation are NOT sources for loans. They're risk-adverse and are not looking to bankroll a podcast.

You need to think outside the box, and stop thinking about quitting your day job based on t-shirt sales. My advice is to read some Paul Graham essays and at least get a perspective of what you're up against. A podcast is not an established business where all the numbers are known to all. Most people I talk to don't even know what a podcast is.

Business sucks. Period. However, those peple who are adept at business usually come out ahead. If you don't have the talent for it, stay out of it. Find a person who you can trust and have them negotiate for you. If one get's a lawyer for court, one should very well have an agent for business. They can only take 10% and never, ever sign a power of attorney.

Let me repeat that: under no set of circumstances should one sign a power of attorney unless they're on their deathbed and the end is near or they are going to a place where more likely than not they will not return.

Most lawyers will argue the contrary. It's in their vested interest to do so. Again, the SBA is a good place to start for the basic operator, but the internet is still a new thing to most people and there are other alternatives that specialize in it. Hope it helps.

"That's actually one of the most logical and reasonable comments I've read on the forums for a long, long time." Ooda
Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavimbi
Creative people don't do business, and business don't do creative. I'll reference Mr. Buck Swope, for those of you who don't get it.
To play the game (the real game), they need to be incorporated and represented by a business agent. Incorporation costs pennies and Michael and/or older brother will suffice.
They need other-than-bank financing to attract any attention. Quarterly revenue statements, a business plan, established partnerships. If I were them, I'd start at the SBA and begin to accumulate their requirements first, as they're stricter than a bank. Once you've been able to establish that you're a serious money maker with potential, a bank will pay more attention. An online bank or credit union are also viable options.
Keep in mind that they may need collateral. That may be real estate. Retail goods on hand, potential deals and spurious income are not considered serious enough for collateral.
A backer is key. A backer who does business with said bank. Local branches of your trusty checking-account operation are NOT sources for loans. They're risk-adverse and are not looking to bankroll a podcast.

You need to think outside the box, and stop thinking about quitting your day job based on t-shirt sales. My advice is to read some Paul Graham essays and at least get a perspective of what you're up against. A podcast is not an established business where all the numbers are known to all. Most people I talk to don't even know what a podcast is.
Business sucks. Period. However, those peple who are adept at business usually come out ahead. If you don't have the talent for it, stay out of it. Find a person who you can trust and have them negotiate for you. If one get's a lawyer for court, one should very well have an agent for business. They can only take 10% and never, ever sign a power of attorney.
Let me repeat that: under no set of circumstances should one sign a power of attorney unless they're on their deathbed and the end is near or they are going to a place where more likely than not they will not return.
Most lawyers will argue the contrary. It's in their vested interest to do so. Again, the SBA is a good place to start for the basic operator, but the internet is still a new thing to most people and there are other alternatives that specialize in it. Hope it helps.
I agree with you and Michael Keith and Chemda should not be doing their buisness deals and negotiations.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Dane Cook on SNL

NBC showed the NASCAR race live on Saturday night, so they showed a repeat of SNL. Rather than show the same show twice in a row, they replayed the first show of the season.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwj850t
NBC showed the NASCAR race live on Saturday night, so they showed a repeat of SNL. Rather than show the same show twice in a row, they replayed the first show of the season.
Fuuuuuuuuck you.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

ABout the Disney characters humping.......i met this guy once who toured with Disney on Ice and said he would see this all the time, characters humping each other, Pluto screwing Mickey etc. Since everyone toured for so long together everyone would just fuck each other and try to hook up with the locals. Of course this guy tried to tell me he NEVER did this. i did not touch this dirty Disney guy. yuck.
Also here is the link to the video.........

http://www.forumopolis.com/showthread.php?t=34642

click on the link in the forum message