Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Porter (beer)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Żywiec Porter

Porter is a style of beer in the ale family which has a dark colour. It was developed in the 18th century, originally from the use of highly dried brown malt, a roast malt aroma and hop bitterness. It is generally brewed with soft rather than hard water.
In 1802, a writer named John Feltham wrote a version of the history of porter that has been repeated hundreds of times since. Unfortunately, very little of Feltham's story is backed up by contemporary evidence. His account is based upon a letter written by Obadiah Poundage (who had worked for decades in the London brewing trade) in the 1760s. Unfortunately, Feltham badly misinterpreted parts of the text, mainly due to his unfamiliarity with 18th century brewing terminology. Feltham claimed that in 18th century London a popular beverage called "three threads" was made consisting of a third of a pint each of ale, beer and twopenny (the strongest beer, costing tuppence a quart). About 1730, Feltham said, a brewer called Harwood made a single beer called Entire which recreated the flavour of "three threads", and which became known as "porter". It took its name from its popularity with the thousands of street and river porters (but not market porters) of London, who drank it to refresh themselves as they carried goods and parcels off and on ships in the Thames and around the streets of England's capital.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

three in the beer education trilogy

This one is entirely too long to post here.

So here's a link.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

I do love porter (It's my last name! Hey-O!) but I can only drink one, maybe two because they're so heavy. Black Butte Porter is especially delicious.

You and I, arcatacat, live in two of the best regions for beer, so I'm curious if you've ever had some of my faves:

Session - Full Sail Brewing Company
Alaskan Summer Ale - Alaskan Brewing Company
Widmer Hefeweitzen - Widmer Brother Brewing Company
Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Mac and Jacks African Amber - Mac and Jacks Brewing Company
Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewing Company
Frambozen - New Belgium Brewing Company
Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Brewing Company
Thor's Hammer - I don't know who makes it, but here's a description: An extra strong Bitter. Glorious rust colour, delicious hop aromas, and enough bitterness to make you want to shave your tongue.
Coors Light - Coors Brewing Company

"Cubby is an idiot. Just look at his old posts.... Idiot. Always quoting me and fucking up the meaning..." ~ Keith

Last edited by Cubby; 11-16-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy
i have'nt had a shit for 6 days.
your making me feel constipated.

PS are you Nick Postagulous in disguise?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Session - Full Sail Brewing Company I know I have had Full Sail before, but Im not sure of which one.
Alaskan Summer Ale - Alaskan Brewing Company Yes - I like this one.
Widmer Hefeweitzen - Widmer Brother Brewing Company Not the Hefe, but I was drinking nothing but "Snow Plow" while in Albuquerque (at the Iron Maiden bar!)
Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - nope
Mac and Jacks African Amber - Mac and Jacks Brewing Company - nope
Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewing Company - One of my all-time favorites
Frambozen - New Belgium Brewing Company - I can't drink any New Belgium brews. They all give me a headache. But I live the 1554!
Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Brewing Company - I used to drink this im Montana
Thor's Hammer - I don't know who makes it, but here's a description: An extra strong Bitter. Glorious rust colour, delicious hop aromas, and enough bitterness to make you want to shave your tongue. - Nope.
Coors Light - Coors Brewing Company - That's like asking if I breathe. I can see the brewery from my office, and that's not a joke. I love the way it smells in the summer.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Session comes in stubby, Red-Stripe-type bottles. It's similar to Red Stripe, cheaper, and better.

All Widmer beers are fairly delicious, especially their Oktoberfest seasonal.

Mac and Jack's is widely regarded as one of the best beers in the Pacific Northwest, and that's saying a lot.

Thor's Hammer is only available at one dive bar here in Spokane; I've never seen it at any other place in my life. The tap is shaped like a huge warhammer.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

Holy shit... all I want to do now is go to ther "Bulid your own six pack" store after work and buy a bunch of awesome beer.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

Another one of my favorites in Montana was one called "Bong Water". I have never seen it anywhere but in the Rhino Bar in Missoula, but it was De-lish! It tasted nothing like bong water... it was just a very dark stout with a great taste.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
mkl

My recent favorite beer: turbodog from abita brewery in LA. I also had a Smuttynose Porter from NH that was quite good last weekend. Anything from Dogfish Head brewery in DE is usually quite good as well.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r
you can also get an email whenever the feed goes on, not just official shows by signing up at
http://groups.google.com/group/katg_liveshow

email notifications are sent on feed opening and closing +/-5mins, if you want a text message just sign up with yournumber@provider.com or however your network does it.
I like the emails the best.