Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 12-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juline
And he walked a good 10 miles from their car, not just one.

He and his family also waited in the car for eight days before he made the decision to try and find help. He THOUGHT that he'd only have to walk around five miles, but it was more like fifteen miles. His body was found only one mile away from a fully stocked hunting lodge that would have kept him and his family fed for months. His wife and daughters were found two days after he left, but there was also a chance that they simply wouldn't be found at all, so at some point a person has to take a gamble and decide to try something risky. Sad story.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal
there was also a chance that they simply wouldn't be found at all, so at some point a person has to take a gamble and decide to try something risky. Sad story.
True, but all the survival guides tell you never, ever to leave your spot. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it -- after so many days you must start feeling pretty desparate.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

anyone have a link to the punish your kids Nintendo Wii box eBay listing or the text from it? The original auction is now down or has ended...

that guy is my new hero. damn bratty kids!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
True, but all the survival guides tell you never, ever to leave your spot. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it -- after so many days you must start feeling pretty desparate.

Yeah, after eight days I think I'd try something different, no matter what my odds. On a related note, I wonder what the survival guides say about cutting off your own hand with a pocket knife? (Remember that rock climber?) It's good the mother was still nursing because an infant would be in dire straights after 10 days of no food. They started out with some juice and crackers, I think.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, after eight days I think I'd try something different, no matter what my odds. On a related note, I wonder what the survival guides say about cutting off your own hand with a pocket knife? (Remember that rock climber?) It's good the mother was still nursing because an infant would be in dire straights after 10 days of no food. They started out with some juice and crackers, I think.
What I don't understand is why they took that route to the coast. Granted, I live here, I know there's going to be snow, and I know it's not a well-traveled road, but he was a techie that worked at CNET, you'd think he'd know to check his sources before relying on Mapquest (or whatever he was using). If you look at a real road map, you can see that route, while it may be more direct, isn't what you're going to want to be traveling on in bad weather. Even in good weather -- if you have car trouble, you're not going to get cell service out there.

~Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesikat
anyone have a link to the punish your kids Nintendo Wii box eBay listing or the text from it? The original auction is now down or has ended...

that guy is my new hero. damn bratty kids!
I hate bratty kids as much as the next guy BUT any Dad who would do that to his own kids is a SICKO. Don't punish the kids because you raised them shitty. I'd divorce the a-hole.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
If you look at a real road map, you can see that route, while it may be more direct, isn't what you're going to want to be traveling on in bad weather. Even in good weather -- if you have car trouble, you're not going to get cell service out there.

Yeah, my only experience over there is visiting my uncle in northern California. He did all the driving, but I could totally see how easy it is to get lost in the heavily wooded areas. Well, come up to northern Wisconsin, it's the same deal with snow and trees.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, my only experience over there is visiting my uncle in northern California.
Curious, where in No. CA? I grew up in Humboldt Co., about an hour south of the OR border, right on the coast.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Curious, where in No. CA? I grew up in Humboldt Co., about an hour south of the OR border, right on the coast.

I honestly have no clue where his property is. He works as a mechanic for an airline so has an apartment near San Francisco but he and my other uncle co-own some property in the north that is only an hour's drive or so from Lake Tahoe. They sold a chunk of land to a bottling company after finding a natural spring and got a bunch of money. Lucky bastids. But we drove through Muir woods and all sorts of places--I had no fucking clue where I was most of the time. I was also sixteen years old so it was awhile ago. It may not even technically have been northern California. That is one huge freakin' state!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I honestly have no clue where his property is. He works as a mechanic for an airline so has an apartment near San Francisco but he and my other uncle co-own some property in the north that is only an hour's drive or so from Lake Tahoe. They sold a chunk of land to a bottling company after finding a natural spring and got a bunch of money. Lucky bastids. But we drove through Muir woods and all sorts of places--I had no fucking clue where I was most of the time. I was also sixteen years old so it was awhile ago. It may not even technically have been northern California. That is one huge freakin' state!
Beautiful area, nonetheless. My brother used to live in Tahoe, and we got married there. Yeah, when people say "Northern California," usually they're referring to the SF/Bay Area. They forget there's several hundred miles north of THAT.