Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #41 (permalink)
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeone View Post
Hospitals and nursing homes are not necessarily "for profit". Although some are this isn't a universal truth.
True. Hospitals are "non-profits" when registered, but that doesn't seem to stop them from taking all of my money, and charging me (What I feel is) way too much for their services!

All I was saying was, why would the government force people to go to business to help? I could see making a case for cleaning public roads or something, but helping a business doesn't seem any different than saying you have to work in a McDoanlds.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
True. Hospitals are "non-profits" when registered, but that doesn't seem to stop them from taking all of my money, and charging me (What I feel is) way too much for their services!

All I was saying was, why would the government force people to go to business to help? I could see making a case for cleaning public roads or something, but helping a business doesn't seem any different than saying you have to work in a McDoanlds.
I guess the morality of it can be argued based on the nature of the field. Working for free in a medical facility, even a "for profit" one, is far better then working a McDonald's. Provided all prices stay the same, my work in a hospital provides a much better civil service then my work at a fast food restaurant.

I understand your comparison of slave labor for Corporate America, but making the leap from hospitals to fast food is a pretty big one.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeone View Post
I guess the morality of it can be argued based on the nature of the field. Working for free in a medical facility, even a "for profit" one, is far better then working a McDonald's. Provided all prices stay the same, my work in a hospital provides a much better civil service then my work at a fast food restaurant.

I understand your comparison of slave labor for Corporate America, but making the leap from hospitals to fast food is a pretty big one.
I guess. Can I work for the NRA(National Rifle Association) for my service? They are a non-profit, and I think they do more good than a lot of other places. Or does the government also get to choose what I believe is "good" for society?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #44 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Relax, you'd get to choose.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Relax, you'd get to choose.
Nice. I'm in.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #46 (permalink)

Ok sign me up. I'd help support single mothers by applying glitter paste to their naked bodies before they got on the pole.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess. Can I work for the NRA(National Rifle Association) for my service? They are a non-profit, and I think they do more good than a lot of other places. Or does the government also get to choose what I believe is "good" for society?
Apparently they do.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #48 (permalink)

Duece, I thought you were great on the show. I don't agree with most of what you said but still found it entertaining. As far as the goverment running programs that would be cost efficient, can you point to even one?

What makes things run effeicently is the pursuit of profit. The goverment doesn't have that burden. They may get some things done but they are usually over cost and past deadline.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:

You can't see the potential societal benefits that a hospital provides vs. a McDonalds?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
You can't see the potential societal benefits that a hospital provides vs. a McDonalds?
Nope. Hospitals overcharge poor people (unless they give fake names), screw them out of money with overpriced tests, give them unnecessary procedures to make more money....etc etc.
McDonalds serves people shitty food at a low cost. Poor people can afford McDonalds but not hospitals.
I'm not sure which one is worse. Being poor and screwed out of money by hospitals with horrible service, or being poor and being screwed by getting low quality food at McDonalds. At least at McDonalds you can order off of the dollar menu.