Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   667: Bugger! (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/667-bugger-9344/)

Keith 02-12-2008 10:09 PM

667: Bugger!

"I really think he meant I sell my daughter on the street."

guest Keith Farnan: www.myspace.com/IrishComedian

Last Comic Standing letter from www.myspace.com/JeffMacKinnon

thepetek 02-13-2008 12:02 AM

I think more Hugh Jackman rather than Hugh Grant. Breaking into the showtuney thing at the end too.

MrBrit 02-13-2008 04:10 AM

Meh - from a political standpoint, I understand why Hillary Clinton complained. Politicians running for office need to garner an air of presidential respectability, and being compared to a pimp is the exact opposite of that. Had this not been an election year, I don't think anyone would've complained. Plus, her complaint also got her some free press and discussion (what politician doesn't love that). I had to laugh when the reporter said he didn't mean to be pejorative with the word, because he obviously did.

Also, you have to realize that the popular media in America is essentially a bitchocracy: whoever complains gets their way. Corporations will always apologize whenever people complain (example: Don Imus), and they'll "do the right thing" (aka kowtow) by suspending people if they think it will make the public happy. The media is just plain spineless and will tell people whatever they want to hear. Corporations care about one thing: money, and if they think apologizing will get them more money than not apologizing, they'll do what it takes - usually erring on the side of excessively apologizing. Besides, an apology doesn't cost any money.

gumby013 02-13-2008 06:29 AM

Keith is right about the Guinness fag spoon.

http://www.guinnesswebstore.com/prod...ar&T1=GUI+2123

gumby013 02-13-2008 06:41 AM

Also, I wasn't sure which Hugh Keith Farnan looked like...

Keith Farnan
http://b8.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/0...74703638_l.jpg

Hugh Laurie
http://www.doublevixen.com/dv_images...HughLaurie.jpg

Hugh Grant
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...nt-Posters.jpg

Hugh Jackman (not British)
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...n1_300_400.jpg

ryanknapper 02-13-2008 07:04 AM

Crap, I'm not seeing the show in the feed.

foxdougan 02-13-2008 09:04 AM

Keith Farnan was really good, have him on again! It's great to hear an Irish guy's humour, it's a lot like the British stuff (which I love, of course). I was surprised K+C didn't laught more at his jokes, I thought he was really funny!

germuhknee 02-13-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBrit (Post 355448)
Also, you have to realize that the popular media in America is essentially a bitchocracy: whoever complains gets their way. Corporations will always apologize whenever people complain (example: Don Imus), and they'll "do the right thing" (aka kowtow) by suspending people if they think it will make the public happy. The media is just plain spineless and will tell people whatever they want to hear. Corporations care about one thing: money, and if they think apologizing will get them more money than not apologizing, they'll do what it takes - usually erring on the side of excessively apologizing. Besides, an apology doesn't cost any money.

Exactly.

And my point would be this: how can you blame Hillary for the fact that the media (MSNBC) reacted so spinelessly? It is her *job* as a politician to look for any advantages that she can get in a campaign like this, especially when fortune has turned against her to the extent that she is now basically running against the political equivalent of the iPod at the height of its popularity. She put the bait out there and they took it. Gasp! Shame on her!

germuhknee 02-13-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxdougan (Post 355490)
It's great to hear an Irish guy's humour, it's a lot like the British stuff (which I love, of course).

Ouch, you just lost your invitation to the next Guiness tasting.

Aurora 02-13-2008 09:12 AM

I love the Irish accent. I had to learn an Irish accent for 2 different plays I was in and I loved it. It was so fun learning. I played a child in both shows, so it was not supposed to be as developed... but I love listening to it.

These were the shows:

The Rope Dancers
By The Bog Of Cats

lizzy1e 02-13-2008 10:09 AM

Yeah, it's a lovely accent. I also spent 2 years learning the language after visiting Dubling and Donegal in 2005. I don't really know the reason since I live in Africa, but boy is it difficult!

Slán
Liz

Aurora 02-13-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzy1e (Post 355502)
Yeah, it's a lovely accent. I also spent 2 years learning the language after visiting Dubling and Donegal in 2005. I don't really know the reason since I live in Africa, but boy is it difficult!

Slán
Liz

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS~!

Africa? Really? Where? That's awesome!

gumby013 02-13-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzy1e (Post 355502)

Slán
Liz

Fuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooouuuuuuu! And welcome to the forums. :)

lizzy1e 02-13-2008 10:21 AM

Lol, thanks!
Ahh, I misspelled Dublin and without the influence of alcohol no less!

Namibia - South West Africa. I was checking out a list of random podcasts and ended up here, love it.

Aurora 02-13-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzy1e (Post 355513)
Lol, thanks!
Ahh, I misspelled Dublin and without the influence of alcohol no less!

Namibia - South West Africa. I was checking out a list of random podcasts and ended up here, love it.

Wow! Awesome! Have you always lived there?

lizzy1e 02-13-2008 10:26 AM

Don't want to hijack the thread, but yeah, born and raised.

*Throws something remotely relevent*

Oh bugger, bugger! :)

Raggety 02-13-2008 11:01 AM

After listening to my peoples accent amongst Keith and Chemda's for the last hour I now understand why Ireland and its inhabitants are a complete joke to the rest of the world and always will be.

By the way, Farnan's accent sounded forced, what county is he from? Also "bugger" is the least irish phrase you could say, it is an english phrase like "tophole", "pip-pip", "oh my I'm a faggot!" and "exuberance!".

Either way, good show
keep it up!
-smileyface-

Grapist 02-13-2008 11:19 AM

Actually, it isn't Hillary's *job* to take advantage of whatever she can to get elected. It is, in fact, her *job* to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Polititcians take oaths where they swear to do this. Here, in American, when someone puts themselves in the public eye, whether it be running for office, or calling in to a national talk show to support her mother running for President, they are placing themselves in a situation where they must be able to take critisism, satire, or sarcasm and cannot take any legal means against anyone for saying anything. But, to get around this people either use their own power, or find someone else's power to mooch of of and use it to circumvent the legal syste. If you will notice, no one is talking lawsuit. Not in this case, the Imus case or anyother case where someone didn't like what someone eelse is saying about them. Doesn't that seem odd when America is a country where people are lawsuit happy? It is because they have no legal recourse.

Hillary has once again shown that she cannot make a logical, reasonable decision without letting her emotions get in her way. Thus more strongly reinforcing my utter disdain for her as a politician.

lizzy1e 02-13-2008 11:20 AM

Yeah, I think he was messing with the whole Hugh Grant/British thing when he did the "bugger" bit.

Grapist 02-13-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzy1e (Post 355544)
Yeah, I think he was messing with the whole Hugh Grant/British thing when he did the "bugger" bit.

I've always liked the term, "bugger".

BUGGER!! BUGGER!! BUGGER!! BUGGER!!

dayofthehippo 02-13-2008 11:33 AM

does bugger actually refer to "anal"?

DJQuad 02-13-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanknapper (Post 355474)
Crap, I'm not seeing the show in the feed.

It's still hosed.

...and deleting posts that report problems is not nice. Instead of taking the time to delete the posts, take the to fix the feed.

germuhknee 02-13-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grapist (Post 355543)
Hillary has once again shown that she cannot make a logical, reasonable decision without letting her emotions get in her way. Thus more strongly reinforcing my utter disdain for her as a politician.

You had me till the end ...

First, what is this "logical, reasonable decision" that was blocked by her emotions? From the point of view of trying to win a literally, dreadfully fierce political campaign, it is perfectly logical to make noise and try to get yourself air time -- especially when your opponent is having it (air time) spoon-fed to him because he is the flavor of the day.

Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be implying that emotions should be off-limits for politicians. But emotions are driving the whole process! For example, Obama is stoking the fires of emotion. Hope! Change! Obama's whole campaign is based on emotions.

And yet, to be taken seriously, Hillary must behave like a robot? Ironically, her social conservative opponents would probably take the opposite tack: Hillary, that cold-hearted, emotionless bitch ... the woman who'd rather be a man, who isn't all pink and warm and fuzzy like a good woman should be.

Sheesh, talk about your rock and your hard place.

SkeleGirl 02-13-2008 12:59 PM

KATG's hatred of Hillary is so irrational that it's pushed me into defending her and throwing my support behind her.

Not that any of it matters because I'm north of the boarder.

There's plenty of other weird things that are going on politicians why are you taking the easy way out and focusing on the easiest target? The media is spoon feeding you ignorant things to say about her. Come on, try a different target this is just low blow humor.

Should the guy have been suspended? No.

Great Commentary in the New York Times on how ridiculous the sensation of Hillary Hating has became.http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...hillary&st=nyt

starscream 02-13-2008 01:04 PM

Congratulations on finding the Irish Robin Williams. He even did a "so-an-so is spinning in his grave going..." joke. Amazing.

Grapist 02-13-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germuhknee (Post 355562)
You had me till the end ...

First, what is this "logical, reasonable decision" that was blocked by her emotions? From the point of view of trying to win a literally, dreadfully fierce political campaign, it is perfectly logical to make noise and try to get yourself air time -- especially when your opponent is having it (air time) spoon-fed to him because he is the flavor of the day.

The "correct" way to handle it is to accept the fact that you are in the public eye and that you will come across both positive and negative feedback about you and your family members who may put themselves in the public eye to support you. Whining about it and taking offense to it is bad enough, but to expect "apropriate action" to be taken is an example of her reacting badly to her emotions. Their positions publicly allow for things like this to be said about them. Even if he would have meant the comment in a negative way, too damn bad, she needs to put her personal feelings aside and not react in the way she did. It goes back to the saying, "I might not agree or even like what you have said, but I will defend your right to say it". That is, or at least was the saying that encompasses the idea of free speech and press. No, she was wrong in what she did, but MSNBC was even more wrong for catering to her request.

As far as Obama having air time "spoon fed" to him, that isn't an accurate depiction of the political system here. If one candidate speaks in a public venue or has a public audience to talk about their platform all other candidates are able to have the same air time, audience etc to talk about theirs. It's a concept called "equal time". Hillary gets just as much air/media time as Obama does. Well at least here she does.

Quote:

Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be implying that emotions should be off-limits for politicians. But emotions are driving the whole process! For example, Obama is stoking the fires of emotion. Hope! Change! Obama's whole campaign is based on emotions.
You are wrong, I never implied that. She made the statement herself, "I am a mother first and a candidate second". That line of reasoning is wrong here. She chose to pursue this candidacy and with her claims of "experience over her opponents" should have known and have been prepared to deal with these types of situations more professionally. Hell this guy didn't even attack her negatively, I can't wait to see what happens when the mudslinging starts.
Quote:

And yet, to be taken seriously, Hillary must behave like a robot? Ironically, her social conservative opponents would probably take the opposite tack: Hillary, that cold-hearted, emotionless bitch ... the woman who'd rather be a man, who isn't all pink and warm and fuzzy like a good woman should be.

Sheesh, talk about your rock and your hard place.

Aurora 02-13-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raggety (Post 355538)
Also "bugger" is the least irish phrase you could say, it is an english phrase like "tophole", "pip-pip", "oh my I'm a faggot!" and "exuberance!".

That was the point... He was making fun of Hugh Grant... since they said he looked like him.

Grapist 02-13-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeleGirl (Post 355570)
KATG's hatred of Hillary is so irrational that it's pushed me into defending her and throwing my support behind her.

So you would base your support for a candidate on KaTG's hatred of them? You wouldn't support a candidate because you believed in their politics? But you would instead allow the opinions and views of others to influence who you support?

And you call the hatred of Hillary Clinton by KaTG irrational?

Thank GOD you are north of the border. Tanks for not being eligible to vote here.

Keith 02-13-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeleGirl (Post 355570)

Not that any of it matters because I'm north of the boarder.

There's plenty of other weird things that are going on politicians why are you taking the easy way out and focusing on the easiest target?

Why pick on the easiest target? Because it's the most disgusting. Obama's the iPod now? We have to root for the underdog? It's too easy if we like what other people seem to like? We like him better for a reason.

Tell me the disgusting things Obama's doing. Let me know how McCain's getting people fired for criticizing him. Preferably in .mp3 form please.

It's her job to fire someone if that's what it takes to get attention? Disgusting.

And yes I'm lumping you and germuhknee together. Both you women appall me.

Black Power!

SkeleGirl 02-13-2008 01:20 PM

Oh Grapist

Thank GOD I know you're just an asshole from prior exchanges and I don't have to take you seriously.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing, being like "KATG are SOOOO mean. I'm going to profess my love for Hillary to make her feel better!!! "

Because I'm definitely not intelligent enough to have a thought process that goes something like "This is starting to sound ridiculous, and is essentially hate mongering. I've been torn between Obama and Hillary (not that any of this actually matters - I totally get that. But since the coverage is inescapable in Canada and that we have a vested interest in what happens it's good to stay informed) based almost entirely on the media, and never really took the time to think about what they're representing. However, the media is appealing towards a popular public slant so blatantly outrageous that even I find myself wanting to defend Hillary. Maybe I should look into this a little further and make an informed decision."

Because you know, thinking is hard and stuff and tings. And I'm a girl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grapist (Post 355580)
So you would base your support for a candidate on KaTG's hatred of them? You wouldn't support a candidate because you believed in their politics? But you would instead allow the opinions and views of others to influence who you support?

And you call the hatred of Hillary Clinton by KaTG irrational?

Thank GOD you are north of the border. Tanks for not being eligible to vote here.

Grapist 02-13-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeleGirl (Post 355589)
Bluh Bluh Bluh

I have no further interest in defending my political points against someone who's opinion or stance means nothing in this election anyway.

germuhknee 02-13-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 355584)

Thank you for recognizing my inner woman Keith! Mike Matera look out, I'm next in line for a steaming portion of Keet, dahling!

Uncast 02-13-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 355584)
Why pick on the easiest target? Because it's the most disgusting. Obama's the iPod now? We have to root for the underdog? It's too easy if we like what other people seem to like? We like him better for a reason.

Tell me the disgusting things Obama's doing. Let me know how McCain's getting people fired for criticizing him. Preferably in .mp3 form please.

It's her job to fire someone if that's what it takes to get attention? Disgusting.

Black Power!

^5 and applause. Exactly.

Why do I dislike Hillary? First and foremost is her campaign tactics. Obama's exposed himself enough now that there should be plenty to attack. Instead she continues swiftboating him to death. You know why? Because she can't find anything REAL to attack him on. What does Obama do? Shakes his head and keeps talking about why one should vote for him as President instead of attacking back and focusing on why voters SHOULDN'T vote for Hillary.

She's spending all her campaign money talking about Obama. That's smart campaigning? He talks about his plans and ideas. She talks about his plans and ideas. No one's talking about her plans and ideas. Guess who's gonna lose?

These also helped to convince me:

Lawrence Lessig Video (transcript here)
Frank Rich Op-Ed article

And let's not get into Vincent Foster. well, unless Obama wins and shortly after "commits suicide" and is found in a park.

SkeleGirl 02-13-2008 02:15 PM

youtube

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grapist (Post 355592)
I have no further interest in defending my political points against someone who's opinion or stance means nothing in this election anyway.

GOOD! Because there's no way you CAN defend yourself against such powerful arguments such as these.

Skelegirl, Winner.

Now that I've accomplished that, I have to go film a video for my soon to be YouTube hit single "I want to eat Hillary out" which will garner at least 10 million hits.

More if Mattera is counting.

arcatacat 02-13-2008 02:48 PM

Hillary and Obama both spoke a the University of Denver a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see either one, but here are some reactions I've read:

People go to hear Obama speak. His charm, uplifting speeches and youthful appearance give people a good feeling about him being a president.

Same people then go to hear Hillary and hear actual issues and detailed plans to address said issues rather than vague "We need change" speeches. Most who heard both speak are going to go with Hillary.

That said, Obama got 67% of the democratic votes in Colorado.

I haven't done enough research to say who I'd vote for yet.

Eats Paste 02-13-2008 02:50 PM

Hillarymakes me think about...

The death of Vince Foster. (chelsea's real daddy)
The death of Ron Brown.
White Water Land Development.
The Rose Law Firm.
Mena Arkansas.

and stuff.

Obama FTW!

germuhknee 02-13-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncast (Post 355618)
And let's not get into Vincent Foster. well, unless Obama wins and shortly after "commits suicide" and is found in a park.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eats Paste (Post 355632)
The death of Vince Foster. (chelsea's real daddy)

I'll trade you guys one Vince Foster conspiracy theory for one 9/11 conspiracy theory (take your pick which one).

Cuckoos-Magoo!

Subsonix 02-13-2008 06:33 PM

Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes.

Gotta love the irish.

Nanoq 02-13-2008 06:58 PM

Extraordinary rendition is the apprehension and extrajudicial transfer of a person from one state to another. The thing people in Europe are protesting is not so much taking prisoners to Guantanamo but rather when prisoners are being taken to states where torture is allowed to be performed on them.

gumby013 02-13-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanoq (Post 355695)
Extraordinary rendition is the apprehension and extrajudicial transfer of a person from one state to another. The thing people in Europe are protesting is not so much taking prisoners to Guantanamo but rather when prisoners are being taken to states where torture is allowed to be performed on them.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooouuuuuuuuu! And welcome to the forums. :)