Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Keith's One Strike and You're Dead Law
Yes 205 56.16%
No 160 43.84%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Keith's World < Marshall Law
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownguy View Post
I think one of the biggest problems with the justice system in the US today is that it is all about retribution, not restitution. While I support the death penalty for crimes that took someone else's life and have a high rate of recidivism, I think that most things should be punished by having the person convicted make restitution to the victim.
How do you restitute properly for the life of a loved one? All the money in the world wouldn't bring my loved one back. The money also would not heal the hurt caused by the loss of them
Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

I really want to watch Demolition Man now. I'll look forward to Jesse Ventura and Jack Black's appearances. Then I'll go to Taco Bell.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
This is why my plan will never work. Nobody listens.

I have addressed this. We wouldn't go by a video camera and think, "Oh, that coat matches yours close enough, it must be you that littered and - "

Oh forget it. Enjoy your shit world...
I agree that nobody listens. Shit, I don't listen half the time. What about all those laws that need to be broken? I've got friends and neighbors who break the law all the time. The easiest example is that we don't have provision for medical marijuana in MI. Frankly, I don't trust politicians to kill the right people for the right reasons, but I might be interested in freelancing the job.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownguy View Post
I agree that nobody listens. Shit, I don't listen half the time. What about all those laws that need to be broken? I've got friends and neighbors who break the law all the time. The easiest example is that we don't have provision for medical marijuana in MI. Frankly, I don't trust politicians to kill the right people for the right reasons, but I might be interested in freelancing the job.
That's why the politicians don't kill them. That's what Judge Dredd is for.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naholos View Post
How do you restitute properly for the life of a loved one? All the money in the world wouldn't bring my loved one back. The money also would not heal the hurt caused by the loss of them
And this illustrates Keith's point above that nobody listens (or reads, I guess). I'll just quote myself ...

I support the death penalty for crimes that took someone else's life and have a high rate of recidivism

How much more clear can I be? How about this:

If some some motherfucker killed your mother, fucker; then he should die.

Rock and roll ...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

I remember when I took law in hich school we learned about how the level of punishment affects the rate of certain crimes.

It was explained that when the punishment is as severe as the crime, like having the death penalty for murder, there is almost no deterence. So for example, states that have the death penalty would have the same murder rates, roughly per capita as everywhere else.

But in places where there seem to be outrageous punishments for seemingly small crimes, like when you hear of someone stealing a loaf of bread and they get their hand cut off, that this works at an amazingly high level.

So there you go. I think I remembered all that the way I heard it, but who knows! And also my teacher could have been full of shit. But it makes sense to me. I'm with Keith on this one.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Not to mention that once you get your hands cut off, you really can't steal anything anymore.

That'd be a nice blanket fix for everything wouldn't it!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

I get off work early on a friday, the sun is out, in a great mood, its gonna be a great day... and I'm crying in the car. Fuck you Brolo. I gotta call my mom...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I'm more Conservative when it comes to punishment as well, but I doubt people would stop doing things just because they would die. Seriously. Perhaps there would be a period of like 2 months where most people would die because they didn't take the law seriously enough, and then maybe it'd start to work out. But people would be constantly afraid.