Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Bad Movie

I saw the movie when it first came out with a friend of mine who was seeing it for the second time. He loved the movie but I felt it was average at best. The movie was far too long and the scenes are drawn out. If I look at my watch during a movie, the movie cannot be good. I've seen plenty of long (3 hour) movies and been entertained the entire time (Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, etc.). This movie was crap. Not much happens in the movie. I will say that the suspense built up in some of the scenes was great but the story line was simply drawn out. The way the movie was ended was indeed as Keith put it, a "cop out". I'm paying money for an ending to a story. Even some words at the end saying what happend would have been great. I know when a movie has great deep meaning but if most people can't find this meaning by watching the movie, it defeats the purpose of the movie. I know I'm a new poster and all that but this movie was shit and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. One of the best movies in recent time to me was The Prestige. Great ending, great story, great acting. Fuck old country.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm writing this at 5.30 in the am after a playing gta4 while listening to the episode so pardon any unwieldy sentences.

I really enjoyed No Country For Old Men but I get why people don't like it. The marketing sold it as more a blockbuster thriller movie which it really isn't. I was actually surprised how closely they stuck to the book for such a widely released film. McCarthy isn't a friendly or welcoming writer – his books are dense and self-reflective, violent and bleak and tend to end with ambiguity - which hardly makes them obvious box office draws.

No Country is less concerned about the money than how these characters deal with this unstoppable force who can not be reasoned with.

The deaths of the lead characters were clear but not lingered on.

I really liked the way Chigurh looked at his boots when leaving the wife's house. Thanks to him moving his feet out of the way of the blood when he killed the other bounty hunter, we know what he's checking for and therefore the fate of that character.
We didn't need to see it and we didn't need him to say it. It's the difference between seeing someone burst into a room with a gun and blast someone sitting in a chair in the face and seeing a cartridge eject and a hand drop.

As for Llewelyn Moss, we saw the girl he was drinking with dead, we saw all the carnage around and it showed him dead.

In the end of the movie, Chigurh is hit by a car, he gets out and carries on. The last we see of the character is him walking off, he cannot be stopped.

Tommy Lee's recollection of a dream at the end is the entire movie.

Quote:
Alright then. Two of 'em. Both had my father in 'em . It's peculiar. I'm older now then he ever was by twenty years. So in a sense he's the younger man. Anyway, first one I don't remember to well but it was about meeting him in town somewhere, he's gonna give me some money. I think I lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up.
Like I said, I get why you didn't like it and I'm not judging you for it, but you do seem a little too quick to judge people who do like it. Although for the record, I do immediately want to shoot anyone who can't talk about a movie without mentioning Goddard and auteur theory in the face.

Also the guy who plays Niko Bellec in GTA4 just killed his career, which is a shame because he was good.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterboy View Post
Even some words at the end saying what happend would have been great. I know when a movie has great deep meaning but if most people can't find this meaning by watching the movie, it defeats the purpose of the movie.
You haters are driving me nuts. I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. You claim to have understood the movie and it's shit, yet you want it explained to you. If you want text at the end of the movie explaining what happened you did not understand the plot. Here's a newsflash. If there was text at the end of this movie if would have ruined the ending. What would be the point? The plot was absolutely clear.

Ugh, I'm going to try to stop looking at things regarding movies on this forum. Everything is always shit, and anyone who likes it is either an elitist or is retarded. Haters.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekstar View Post
Ugh, I'm going to try to stop looking at things regarding movies on this forum. Everything is always shit, and anyone who likes it is either an elitist or is retarded. Haters.
Yeah. When it comes to the internet things can either be the BEST THING EVER or the WORST PIECE OF SHIT EVER MADE. Nothing is ever just ok or even just good. It's all or nothing and it gets tiring.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Also the guy who plays Niko Bellec in GTA4 just killed his career, which is a shame because he was good.
I agree... the dummy didn't even think about the downloadable content (at least for the 360.) They're going to need a voice for Niko what with the new missions/storyline/etc. He could've negotiated. Hopefully he hasn't blown it.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis_of_evil View Post
I agree... the dummy didn't even think about the downloadable content (at least for the 360.) They're going to need a voice for Niko what with the new missions/storyline/etc. He could've negotiated. Hopefully he hasn't blown it.
Good point. Although I hear that's well under way, maybe it's the same contract.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis_of_evil View Post
Good point, although those are well underway so maybe it's the same contract.

Here he is in other stuff.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

I hate how people buy into No Country is artsy. It doesn't have any depth that doesn't appeal to the common man; it's a fucking stupid movie that obscures its dumb plot with vagueness and drawn out sequences.

No Country is a movie that relies entirely on its plot to have a point, and the plot is SHIT. A movie can't have a point when the entire story is contrived and unrealistic.

People give No Country too much credit. Academy Awards doesn't mean fucking anything. How much did the Academy recognize The Good the Bad and the Ugly? And how much more does that movie make a statement about violence than the steaming pile of shit that is No country?

THANK YOU KEITH, for being the voice of reason.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #29 (permalink)

Napoleon Dynamite was shit. I downloaded it and did not laugh once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekstar View Post
I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.
Then quit.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

There's an audio interview with the voice actor here.