Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredjazz View Post
i think it's fine to have theories and opinions but what is up with the glorification of art? We canonise things and think everyone should agree. You like it and think it's the greatest thing ever? That's wonderful. But you don't have my history, mind, background or ideology. Why do you think i have to like it because you think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Are we all such robots? I feel severely sorry for anyone that thinks that things are that solid, good or bad. You must have little to think about if people have no freedom of expression.
people just want to fit in. they form little groups of like minded idiots, and insulate themselves from free thinking or new ideas, and attack anyone that poses a risk to their mutual mental ruts. its the path of least resistance. herd mentality. those people need to go read thoreau instead of lining up for kool aid in guyana. meh.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

I would just like to say that black people don’t watch BET, it’s a total myth. The only people I have ever met that watch that shit was overweight white chicks that are into black guys.

Anyway, I loved No Country, but at the same time I didn’t take anything away from it that was super deep. The only thing I really didn’t get was that Tommy Lee talking about his dream at the end.

Fuck symbolism.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:33 AM   #33 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
NCFOM is/was amazing. It's a slow-burner done right. The best kinda horror flicks.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #34 (permalink)

I liked No Country For Old Men, but I didn't like The Wedding Singer. it put me to sleep for some reason. probably because I was on a ton of flu medication when I saw it. ergo, it might be good. but probably not.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #35 (permalink)

Keith didn't like the movie because he had to spend two whole hours without drinking.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #36 (permalink)

Too bad about Niko, maybe he should have thought about making some extra income the way his cousin did.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

I just heard this show.. I'm not too pretentious about movies and can freely admit that for a movie like There Will Be Blood, while it interested me, I didn't totally get it.

But I thought No Country was amazing and is unquestionably my favorite movie of 07. Unlike others, though, I would never use words like 'innocence lost,' 'awe' or other vague pretentious bullshit in describing what I got out of it.

To me the movie was a simple moral tale with a message - that death isn't a bad thing, and being alive isn't necessarily good. The way Josh Brolin's character was killed spoke to this - he's supposed to be the protagonist but they totally brush over his death in what was clearly some sort of shootout that we don't even see. That's them saying 'hey, maybe death isn't such a big deal.' At least, though, he still had passion and drive in life. This is contrasted by all the old characters who are washed up, crippled, and useless, too afraid to hunt down Bardem, and even not worth killing (Bardem leaves Tommy Lee Jones alive in that room).

I think the ending totally fits with this understanding of the movie because by ending so abruptly, it was playing with the message of the movie. Instead of waiting for things to end and draw to a nice tidy bundle of a close, it just ended when we were wondering what was going to happen next. The collective WTF in the theater was their way of "killing" the movie abruptly like they did Brolin's character, instead of extending it to a peaceful, agonizing let-down of a death as is happening to all the old people in the movie. They're kind of poking fun of how movies are often so awesome, yet fall apart at the end and disappoint the audience, and applying that metaphor to human life.

Tommy Lee Jones' lil soliloquies also spelled this out pretty obviously.. the first one, where he was saying something about he'd always been waiting for something to happen in his life, yet nothing did. And the dream at the end where his dad passed him on the way to the camp, with a warm fire, meaning that his early death wasn't a bad thing, but meant that he reached peace and comfort earlier than TLJ's character.

Maybe that sounds really pretentious to some people but at least I can explain exactly what I got out of the movie and why I liked everything from the way they handled Brolin's death to the ending without being vague. I know too many people who liked this movie, but when you ask why, they have no clue, or they say "hmm, I can't explain it."
Old 05-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

The husband overdosed on soma? Soma was the drug they all had in Brave New World...
Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #39 (permalink)

is anyone else curious what book Chemda was talking about?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #40 (permalink)

Speaking of somas, I went to Tijuana one time and there's a pharmacy called Amsterdam less than a block from the border. I bought a few somas and xanax pills. I ended up taking them that night with a few beers. I waited a over a half hour I didn't feel anything so I got mad that I got ripped off and decided to start getting drunk. I should've waited longer because the effects kicked in bout 30min later. I woke up the next morning with a tattoo.