Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

That's terrifically Unicorns farting Rainbows of Love of you, but the moment someone asks you what one of those people are "Barb-American" might be confusing.

I have no problem being called Black, I find Negro hilarious when used by anyone under 65 not from a place where the Confederate Flag was displayed proudly and in excess at one point.

African-American sounds like a census term meant to over explain. I'm not from Africa. But, I get where it's a safe term to use. The overly ethnic Kwanzaa, Baduism coloreds(a personal fav. term) prefer that non coloreds use this term.

I find that the white people who immediately need to correct other white people that use black grew up with Nigger being used in the house.

If I had my way you would be forced to call me Burnt Sienna with Fawn undertones. But, black as a catchall is fine.

Twitters

"Be gone, back to the cave from which you came." -Abs

"No, you can't go. He's a pederast."- Nick Postagulous
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
That's terrifically Unicorns farting Rainbows of Love of you, but the moment someone asks you what one of those people are "Barb-American" might be confusing.

I have no problem being called Black, I find Negro hilarious when used by anyone under 65 not from a place where the Confederate Flag was displayed proudly and in excess at one point.

African-American sounds like a census term meant to over explain. I'm not from Africa. But, I get where it's a safe term to use. The overly ethnic Kwanzaa, Baduism coloreds(a personal fav. term) prefer that non coloreds use this term.

I find that the white people who immediately need to correct other white people that use black grew up with Nigger being used in the house.

If I had my way you would be forced to call me Burnt Sienna with Fawn undertones. But, black as a catchall is fine.

Ahhh, yes ... my unicorn world.

The funny thing is, I really can't think of the last time I had to describe someone as black, or white. Maybe it has to do with where I live, I don't know. I suppose I would probably default to "black" if I had to pick a term.

Quote:
Burnt Sienna with Fawn undertones. But, black as a catchall is fine.

No way, now that I know ... if asked I'll describe you as "Patrice, that uproariously funny celebrity-gossip lady who is on KATG Thursdays, she's (*hushed whisper / raised eyebrows) Burnt Sienna with Fawn undertones."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hushyomouff.jpg (36.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:

I get the feeling that most white people imagine all us blacks holding a meeting every year where we vote on the term that we'd like to be addressed as for the time being.

I honestly don't care. It's the intent behind the word that typically sets people off.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownguy View Post
In my neighborhood, the coffee shop I regularly frequent, the gym, and my office ... there are eight people that I speak to every day who could be described at black or African American. I call them:

Rick
Joe
Tiny
Barb
Jo
Desiree
Robert
and Sean

That's cool of you but I've got the feeling that you don't know the names of every black person on the earth. When you describe us as a whole what terms do you use then?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
No need to make up a new term....A woman with multiple can'tdoright fathers to her children is known as Triflin'.
Okay. But as for your mom and grandma...I was referring mostly to the "triflin'" type who continue to pick career criminals as fathers to their children.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
That's cool of you but I've got the feeling that you don't know the names of every black person on the earth. When you describe us as a whole what terms do you use then?
It depends, are you stereotypically robbing me?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
So, Negro is considered derogatory. Black is okay again.
Since when in your lifetime has the term "negro" been commonly used to describe black people?

Black, it sounds like, is okay again, in 2006 I was told in public that it was racist.

Quit playing dumb. That was one person, and I know you automatically put that person in the 'obsessed liberal' category, so that doesn't count. 'Black' is fine, and you know black/AA is fine, because it is what is used in news and other popular culture to describe us black folks.

Does anyone think this quarterly update of how we refer to 12% of all of us Americans actually helps race relations?

The majority never said this was an issue. Just let it roll off your back because I know you don't care and you probably call black people 'nigger' most of the time anyway. There are always going to be extreme people who think what term we use to call black folks is a big deal, but mostly noone cares, as long as it aint nigger.

For the record(or your judgment), I am white and grew up in a military town in Texas where roughly 30% of the population was Black.

And you knew nary a one of them, except in passing.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

so i finally watched idiocracy and my conclusion is that its all k-dawg's and chemda's fault for not breeding.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea's toothbrush View Post
Since when in your lifetime has the term "negro" been commonly used to describe black people?
In the late 70s, early eighties, it was still fairly common. The grandparents of my black friends growing up found the term Black to be derogatory, and Negro was appropriate around the house. But they participated in the Civil Rights movement, so what the fuck did they know, amirite? Bunch of Uncle Toms.

Do you come from a broken home? How are you not aware of that, did you not have grandparents?

Quote:
Black, it sounds like, is okay again, in 2006 I was told in public that it was racist.

Quit playing dumb. That was one person, and I know you automatically put that person in the 'obsessed liberal' category, so that doesn't count. 'Black' is fine, and you know black/AA is fine, because it is what is used in news and other popular culture to describe us black folks.
Nope, you know and love at least half the people that were involved in that conversation, and I do not consider them obsessed liberals.

And you represent what percentage? Why would I blow off an intelligent well spoken educated group of people(of all colors) to take the word of a blatant bigot? Are Black people anywhere comfortable with your way of thinking being represented as the norm?

Quote:
Does anyone think this quarterly update of how we refer to 12% of all of us Americans actually helps race relations?

The majority never said this was an issue. Just let it roll off your back because I know you don't care and you probably call black people 'nigger' most of the time anyway. There are always going to be extreme people who think what term we use to call black folks is a big deal, but mostly noone cares, as long as it aint nigger.
Being a minority, I guess the majority can't say this is an issue.

I'm really sorry youre a racist. Believe it or not, most white people of my generation, even in the south, aren't racist anymore. It must feel like an awful burden to go around thinking white people all around you think that, thinking they are all out to get you, to keep you down.

Did you know science disputes the notion that we humans actually have different races?

Quote:
For the record(or your judgment), I am white and grew up in a military town in Texas where roughly 30% of the population was Black.

And you knew nary a one of them, except in passing.
actually, my brain doesn't work like yours, bigot.

Growing up, I was one of only two white kids in my close group of a dozen friends. It's probably hard for you to believe this, given your way of thinking, I don't wanna blow your mind or anything, so I will spare you the ethnic breakdown.

Man, you really build your world around a lot of assumptions, don't you? May I suggest you ask more questions? I bet you would be a better and happier person.

And I am curious why you feel the need to lash out at whitey instead of answering the question posed in my post, and help work towards a more permanent solution that nobody finds offensive, something worthy of keeping as part of a cultural heritage.

/hugs
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post
It depends, are you stereotypically robbing me?
LOL! No, I'm atypically robbing you. Like through a Amway scheme or some sort of money laundering.