Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
Haha! Newsy's poor!

Today's laughter is sponsored by: My parents.
LOL
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post

Today's laughter is sponsored by: My parents.
Ahh the McNallys. Gotta love em. I know I do!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

When I am in the US I have to remind myself all the time about your tipping rules just because I am not used to it. I heard "tourists don't tip" a lot of times already but how are they expected to remember when even the locals fuck it up?

In Germany tips are usually given to round out the bill as service is included already. I think this also leads to a very different eating culture where a meal is usually a long leisurely affair as the waiter does not try to kick you out fast to make room for new guests.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

The intern is still going down in the chili cookoff.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzlewizzle View Post
oh, and tipping is fucking stupid, places should just pay the waiters reasonable money and add it onto the cost of the food/drinks.
I completely agree, however it is the situation. Credit-ratings are complete bullshit too, but that's the game. Either you don't ever use credit (or go to restaurants, as it were) or you agree to the established rules.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
When I am in the US I have to remind myself all the time about your tipping rules just because I am not used to it. I heard "tourists don't tip" a lot of times already but how are they expected to remember when even the locals fuck it up?

In Germany tips are usually given to round out the bill as service is included already. I think this also leads to a very different eating culture where a meal is usually a long leisurely affair as the waiter does not try to kick you out fast to make room for new guests.
Absolutely, nobody has the kind of fucked up tipping culture that the US has. That's why waiters hate foreigners for not tipping, they don't know that the restaurant business works on a third world economic model in the US, they expect that people get paid.

I think it might be a vicious cycle, people tip because they feel bad for waiters, that means that restauraunts can successfully lobby to let them pay waiters less, so customers feel bad for wiaters and tip more, etc. I'm sure it wasn't always the case that waiters in New York weren't paid at all.

Keith says that waiters don't respect themselves, i'm not surprised, how could you if you have to rely on the charity of randomn douchebags just to buy groceries. It's confusing for foreigners, embaressing for customer and humiliating for waiters, no wonder waiters talk about customers with so much contempt, it's a defence mechanism.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

So, I'm pretty much in love with Lauren Hennessy. That is all.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
So, I'm pretty much in love with Lauren Hennessy. That is all.
You and me both. <3

I was watching live yesterday and I have to say I was really disappointed that we didn't get an onscreen lesbi kiss from Chemda and Lauren. I mean COME ON! It would have been the perfect act to commemorate the 900th show.

She was an awesome guest! I hope she becomes a regular!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Why settle for a six-pack when you can have a keg? That is all.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaclare View Post
In the USA, how do restaurants get round minimum wage laws? Do waiters' tips count towards their minimum wage?

The system should be changed. I'm sure customers wouldn't mind if restaurants just added the cost of paying waiters a decent wage onto the cost of the food and tips were only optional for really good service.
You get paid $2.something an hour (which all goes to taxes, we never see that money). Then at the end of the week, if the tips that you've claimed doesn't add up to minimum wage for the number of hours you've worked that week, then your employer is supposed to make up the difference. Most waiters don't keep that good of records though, and restaurants escape ALL kinds of labor laws, so it doesn't usually happen that way.

I agree about tipping in US being pretty ridiculous, but as much as I like to bitch about it, I wouldn't make near as much as I do without it.

Last edited by punk'n; 02-18-2009 at 10:28 AM.