Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who are the worst: Nazis or Arab Extremists?
Nazis 127 46.86%
Arab Extremists 144 53.14%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent1985 View Post
I thought I’d expand on mat’s point a bit (not the nazi point which is pointless because of Godwin's law)
The point of copyright isn't to prevent anyone from copying your work. All works are supposed to enter the commons where others are free to do whatever they want with them. Copyright is meant to encourage people to add work to the commons by giving them full rights to their work for a period of time. This stops others taking their work and encourages the artist to do further works.

The current system is broken because nothing is going into the commons, current copyright terms are life plus 80 years when it started at 28 years.

Plus things like DMCA make copyright violations a criminal offence not just a matter for the civil courts.
Hey silent1985, FFFUUUUCKK YOOOOUU! (The official greeting to the forums). That's a great assessment of copyright law. My understanding is that after something enters commons, someone can extend their own copyright on the a piece of work. For example, D. H. Lawrence (the poet) dies and someone else then claimed the copyright to his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbling Bryan View Post
Do you really believe that if Arab Extremists would get the chance they wouldn't kill 6 million people in the blink of an eye?

Accomplishment says nothing about the evil of a person (or group of persons in this case).
That's just silly. So the kids from the Columbine Massacre are the worst because they wanted everyone dead? If we're just basing things off of what is in peoples heads then "Demetri" is the suavest, greatest lover in the world.

Last edited by Sammy; 02-21-2009 at 03:01 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMacFarlane View Post
Nazis were supposed to be enlightened, they knew exactly what were they doing. they were very calculated on how they attempted to kill all the Jews.
The same could be said about Arabs. They take years to decide how to kill the people they're going to kill.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Sammy's right. Columbine kids are even more evil because they killed people they knew.

Of course accomplishments have to do with the evilness of a person or people. My brother Ken once wished everyone was dead. Is he the most evil?
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Sammy's right. Columbine kids are even more evil because they killed people they knew.

Of course accomplishments have to do with the evilness of a person or people. My brother Ken once wished everyone was dead. Is he the most evil?
Maybe my wording is wrong but I don't think comparing the deaths accomplished by arab terrorists and the deaths accomplished by nazis is a valid point on Arabs being the lesser evil.

Nazis found a way to get so much power that they were able to kill 6 million. That makes them smarter maybe but not per se more evil. Terrorists these days have it much harder killing people. And I still say that the terrorists would kill 6 million people without thinking about it, if they could.

Now we're almost getting down to a phylisophical debate about what 'evil' is.

Still I think you could be more harsh, more cruel and more evil without ever killing a person, then a nazi. Keith if your brother honestly, in his hart, wants everyone on this planet to die then yes he pretty fucking evil. But before I'd compare his evilness to the nazis or the arab extremists I'd like to know his reasoning behind this believe of him.

In my opinion someone killing a child, without reason or purpose, that he/she is unrelated to, is way more evil then a father killing his wife and kids cause he believes that's the only way that they can be happily together.
That's 1 kill vs 2+ kills.

Facebook | JustBryan.nl | Twitter
"Bryan is a legend!"- OCD-dude
Old 02-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Hey silent1985, FFFUUUUCKK YOOOOUU! (The official greeting to the forums). That's a great assessment of copyright law. My understanding is that after something enters commons, someone can extend their own copyright on the a piece of work. For example, D. H. Lawrence (the poet) dies and someone else then claimed the copyright to his work.
Yes there was an option to extend copyright but there were limits to how many times. The original artist could sell their rights to someone else or pass it down to family but the same time limit would still apply and it would eventually lapse.

Now everything is the artist’s life plus 80 years regardless and will probably be extended the next time something by Disney is about to lapse.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Look at all you Nazi lovers.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

the story that matt was refering to was in 1944 when the allies were nearing paris and the nazis were leaving, hitler ordered general dietrich von Choltitz, the military governor of paris to blow up the tower he disobeyed orders bc he could not bring himself to destroy a beautiful monument like it. also u have to take into account that in europe architecture is a very big thing, far more than in the states
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

McNally, tell us how you really feel!

And regarding Nazis, Islamic/Arabic Extremists, I think this diagram will help define things:

The Nazi's conducted war and genocide. The Islamic extremists are adept at terrorism and insurgency/guerrilla warfare. So as much as the population of Germany may have bought into the Nazi idealism, it was the Government that carried out the acts (by way of the legitimate military). Extremists and terrorist groups are composed of civilians who are usually not trained by the military nor funded by the government.

I think the point that Matt B was trying to make is that it would be very convenient if our current enemies had the same defined parameters as the Nazis: Uniformed soldiers, Generals, land bases and strategic sites (eg, bridges, railroads), Capital cities, and political leaders who can eventually sign a surrender treaty. In that sense I think today's extremists are much worse than the Nazis.

Another way to think of things is to call the Nazis "European Extremists." While religion wasn't terribly important to the Germans of that era, they did general exist within a Christian ethic. And since their closest enemies (US, Britain, France) were also caucasian and Christian, a certain amount of restraint was exercised. The same could be said of the Americans, who didn't punish the Germans as severely as Japanese, who were considered almost inhuman in comparison. After all, most Americans boast a German heritage.

It is my opinion that today's terrorist extremists are worse than the Nazis and the totalitarian governments of the 20th century. Why? Because no matter how brainwashed a people may be by politics, they will always be further driven to complete insanity by the combination of poverty and religious fervor.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopid Monkey View Post
I guess I'm the only one who can't download the show. Boo that.
Use the poo poo player on the sidebar of the forums.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy_Potatoe_with_an_E View Post
Use the poo poo player on the sidebar of the forums.
You are a clever one. Thanks.