Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is today's show the first time Keith has said he is an athiest?
"Yes; this is news to us." 93 54.39%
"No; he's said this before." 78 45.61%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I am pretty sure recovering catholic is an actual thing cause my therapist said that is what I am.
I guess as a Jew I have no experience with that.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raym View Post
This is really funny to me, if there are actually rules to being an atheists. If atheists are unaccepting of each other based on the degree of what's possible in the afterlife, you think it would just be black and white 'there is either a God, or there is no God' but no so many layers!!!
I think any form of belief has different layers and degrees to it. There are hardcore atheists who believe there isnt anything in this world beside concrete things (like me), and people who do not believe in a god or afterlife but still believe in some spiritual things.

It's kinda (by a long stretch) like being an anarchist today and being one in the 19th century, where the anarchist movement was more strict than ever.

I dont believe in black and white thoughts. People are way too complex for that.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelBachael View Post
Keith totally didn't get my point, found here: http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...2-thing-13198/

Maybe I didn't explain it well.
What I meant was, if you had never been to New York in your life, and all you had heard about it was that it is full of crime, then went to upstate New York you'd get a different impression of the state than if you had gone to the city.

If you had only been to the sticks of any southern state you'd get a different impression than if you had been to a southern city.

Yes there are regional differences but there are rednecks/trailer trash in every state, ghettos in every state, and intelligent people in every state.
If they didn't get it the first time, they aren't going to. The whole bashing of places based on stereotypes is funny, to an extent, but usually, in order to be funny, you actually have to have experiences in said places. Case in point, Brother Love's stories about other states. Those are funny.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #24 (permalink)

I think that before Keith can officially say he's an atheist he should be able to tell us what the difference between Catholicism and Christianity is. Over the years he's made it clear that he doesn't have a full grasp of the difference. This is true of many Catholics that I have met, who were brought up thinking that Catholicism and Christianity were simply interchangeable terms.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekstar View Post
I think that before Keith can officially say he's an atheist he should be able to tell us what the difference between Catholicism and Christianity is.

Draw him a Venn Diagram. All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholic.

The "bet" on God that Ray talked about near the beginning of the show is known as Pascal's Wager. This French philosopher stated that even though you can't prove God's existence through reason, you might as well believe in Him because you stand to lose more if you're wrong (namely, your soul). As far as I'm concerned, that's kind of a pussy reason to have faith. If you're going to be Christian, go "all in." Don't do it just because you're worried what will happen to you if you're wrong. I would think that if God does exist, He'd know the difference anyway and boot your ass out of heaven.

I'm agnostic, myself. I always liked the fable of the blind men and the elephant as an illustration of why divinity -- if it exists -- is inherently unknowable to mere humans.

LINK
Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #26 (permalink)

Why does everything have to have a title? I have started my own religion when I was 14. Anyone want to join? Organized religion is evil. But people constantly have to put titles on things.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #27 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekstar View Post
I think that before Keith can officially say he's an atheist he should be able to tell us what the difference between Catholicism and Christianity is. Over the years he's made it clear that he doesn't have a full grasp of the difference. This is true of many Catholics that I have met, who were brought up thinking that Catholicism and Christianity were simply interchangeable terms.
I've never said this, and you're an idiot.

And I know that is neither a Catholic nor a Christian thing to say, so I must be an atheist.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post
Why does everything have to have a title? I have started my own religion when I was 14. Anyone want to join? Organized religion is evil. But people constantly have to put titles on things.

I've had my own thing going for years. I've come to believe organized religions are a way to control the masses more than anything else. I could never get behind the suffer now, and everything will be ok when you die and reach the promise land deal.

Its the rules that get in the way, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, agnostic.. whatever. When you compare your beliefs and values against others and you fall outside of the rules of the next person, you can never win. If you do this, you can't do that etc..

Do you think more people become atheist if they grow up in a religious household?

.. I DRIVE FAST
Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #29 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post
Why does everything have to have a title? I have started my own religion when I was 14. Anyone want to join? .
I do!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post

The "bet" on God that Ray talked about near the beginning of the show is known as Pascal's Wager. This French philosopher stated that even though you can't prove God's existence through reason, you might as well believe in Him because you stand to lose more if you're wrong (namely, your soul). As far as I'm concerned, that's kind of a pussy reason to have faith.

LINK
That is awesome! some smart philosopher thought the same way I do, and I didn't even have to write a book or do any research; I'm calling that the 'Devito Way' That's when you come up with important and accurate theories w/o doing any research or spellcheck