Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is today's show the first time Keith has said he is an athiest?
"Yes; this is news to us." 93 54.39%
"No; he's said this before." 78 45.61%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #61 (permalink)

I don't even know if I've ever been to Paducah. I've probably driven THROUGH it but never gone there on purpose. It's probably for the best.

There is a night and day difference between living somewhere like Corbin and living somewhere like Lexington. And like you said, the people of Corbin are nice. The general vibe I get from living here my whole life is that Corbin is trying to get out of the long line of ignorant it came from. A lot of the people I come across are still relatively ignorant, but they also understand that they are and that they don't want to be. Maybe a few generations down the road things will be better, or at least I hope so. I don't want to hear another "gays can't get married because they'll have deformed children" argument ever again in my life. That was only ONE person who said that, but one is too many. At 24 years old you should immediately realize the huge problem in that argument. I feel like with a little more time the smaller towns of Kentucky won't be so messed up, they're at least pointing themselves in the right direction.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
All the religions have borrowed very heavily from one another. I went through a phase in college where I couldn't decide "what I am" and researched a bunch of different spiritualities. I grew up in a devout family that went to church every Sunday, my dad was a Sunday school teacher and lay liturgist, etc.

I like reading about that stuff, and mythology in general. Unlike many Christians I know, I've actually read the Bible from beginning to end.
To blanket "all religions" based on your knowledge of Christianity, a western religion, is to be naive. (please know I am not calling you specifically naive, just the narrow thinking that everything can be explained by what one book says.) Christianity is a very young religion. Eastern religions especially, like Buddhism or Hindu, have traits that Christianity disagrees with. In Buddhism, for example, there are the four noble truths:

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering. (Noble eightfold path)

In Buddhism, it takes lifetimes upon lifetimes to live through these steps to truly release yourself of suffering, and to achieve the ultimate state of being, which is Nirvana. In Christianity, you can just go to church, ask to be forgiven, and five minutes later, all is good. Under the Christian theory of forgiveness, people about to be executed on death row can ask for forgiveness, be forgiven, and still go to heaven, regardless of the evil they created while on earth. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think Keith is exploring the layers of BS and naivety (sp?) that Christianity is about, and in the quest to find out what he truly belives, he is taking the agnostic route until he finds what is right for him. I did that until I learned about Buddhism, and today, I consider myself mostly Buddhist.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #63 (permalink)

I have been to Paducah! they only took foodstamps in that town.. cash does seem to exist
Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raym View Post
Paducah, KY though sucks!
Yeah my roommate is from Paducah and she got out! She's pre-med though and not the stereotypical "Paducahan".

A girl on my floor freshman year was from Paducah. She had never been around black people before. There were 2 black girls on our floor and the girl from Paducah would ask the black girls tons of inappropriate questions such as "does your hair get sudsy when you shampoo it?" WTF? But she flunked out so I guess she didn't know too much about school either .
Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #65 (permalink)

I don't remember the exact show when Keith said he no longer believed in God, but I do remember hearing him say it.

I think it was when Keith decided to do the Communion on the cruise and Chemda asked him if he was sure he was okay with it. She asked him if he still believed in God, and he said he was no longer Agnostic and was definitely Atheist.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Isn't it one of those formula shows that's pretty much the same shit every week though? Like the CSIs and Bones and all that mind-numbingly predictable horseshit?

I'm asking genuinely because I've never been able to get through more than five minutes on account of Hugh Laurie's accent.
Yep, it's definitely formulaic. Every time they come up with a new diagnosis I look at the time elapsed on Winamp; if there is less than ten minutes left I know it was the right diagnosis. Still, I love the show.

House is my hero--the kind of asshole I wish I could be
Old 05-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #67 (permalink)

Keith, you say how all the doctors in New York say everything is "stress?" My fuck-face doctor here in Denver could learn a thing or two. I went to the doctor recently because I believed I had a stress induced rash. I think that because the last time I had a rash like this was when I was in college and was super stressed out for about 7 months and THIS rash looked exactly the same. The other rash also went away as soon as I stopped giving any fucks about school, too...

Anyway, the Dr. Fuckface didn't even greet me when he entered the room. The first thing he said, as he was opening the door, was, "There's no such thing as a stress rash! Where did you even get such an idea?" He said this while looking at my chart and avoiding all eye-contact. After 10 seconds of looking at my "stress rash," he determined it was eczema and left the room.

He then came back several minutes later claiming it was psoriasis.
He then told me to check Web MD.

And I paid for this doctor visit.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #68 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

i voted no but im waiting for jeremy to come in and clear up all this confusion
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #69 (permalink)

Keith's Aristocrats reminded me of Wendy Liebman's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfaKld5ahfw

Last edited by 264; 05-28-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: I fail at embedding.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #70 (permalink)

Love Ray Devito - he's one of my favourite guests. The part near the end about his parents dying and the whole therapy thing was v.sad. Although in another way it's nice to hear that his parents were happy together for so long, makes a nice change from the rest of us dysfunctional lot!

I loved the analogy that only rich people see ghosts in their mansions and castles - that's hilarious. And apparently true, I haven't seen a ghost (I don't believe in them) but there's a castle near me and apparently a ghost of a woman haunts it frequently. Coincidence? I think not .