Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Brother Love a drunk?
Yes 123 59.42%
No 84 40.58%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

The reason there is so much disagreement and argument over this is because there is no answer to the question. Simple truth is, the term alcoholic, isn't defined in a concrete manner, but by feelings.

If your drinking hurts yourself or those close to you, then alcohol is a problem in your life. Since it does hurt Chemda to see Keith drink so much, he does have a drinking problem. Now his drinking problem may be Chemda and not alcohol, but still, its a problem that has its root in his drinking. He doesn't have to drink less to address the problem, he can try to change Chemda's mind instead.

The reasons the questions seemed loaded in those quizzes are because the questions are created by AA, which also created Alcoholics as a concept. A person can drink a case of beer a day, and not be an alcoholic. If it doesn't affect your health, your life, or your personal relationships, then you simply aren't an alcoholic, no matter how much you drink.

The reason the first step is admitting you had a problem, is because if you don't see you have a problem, then you probably don't. Now sometimes you don't realize you are hurting those around you, and they have to tell you that so you can see you have a problem, but in the end, you have to come to the conclusion that your drinking is a problem in your life that you want to change. If you then can't, then that is alcoholism.

No matter how much we debate this, truth is, its a matter between Keith and Chemda, and they are the only ones who can make the decision. Is how Chemda feels about Keith's drinking a big enough issue to be a problem in his life or their relationship that he'd want to change his habits. The average listener really can't contribute to this discussion based on a few here and there conversations they have shared with us. Even their closest friends aren't going to be privy to all the details of their relationship.

And just so we are all clear where this is coming from, and that I'm not just trying to make Keith a non alcoholic so I can be one too, I came to the conclusion that I was an alcoholic about a year ago. I have been late to work, lost friends, made an ass of myself in green themed message boards, and just about everything else on any of those lists you-might-have-a-problem lists. But those things are only problems because I have chosen to define them as so for me, which gives me the alcoholic label. I have no plans to stop drinking at this time, but I would like to drink less.

But anyway, a great pro-drinking site, written by a professor who advocates education and removing the negative conatations from drinking in our society is Alcohol: Problems & Solutions. He doesn't advocate excessive drinking, he just doesn't condemn responsible drinking.

Last edited by MaxxedMan; 07-02-2009 at 12:40 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxedMan View Post
No matter how much we debate this, truth is, its a matter between Keith and Chemda, and they are the only ones who can make the decision.
I think that everyone knows that it's not their decision to make but when you make your living off of a podcast who's premise is to talk about your daily lives then its completely appropriate to have listeners weigh in on the matter.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBall View Post
I think that everyone knows that it's not their decision to make but when you make your living off of a podcast who's premise is to talk about your daily lives then its completely appropriate to have listeners weigh in on the matter.
Totally agree, and they did literally ask for it.

I wasn't trying to say it wasn't appropriate for listeners to weigh in, I was one of those who just did.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

I think my new goal in life is to have Brolo sweet talk me at least once.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxedMan View Post
Totally agree, and they did literally ask for it.

I wasn't trying to say it wasn't appropriate for listeners to weigh in, I was one of those who just did.
I didn't take it that way. I was just reading a lot of posts that pretty much said "STAY OUT OF IT!" and "It's non of your business.", which I totally disagree with.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

I didnt get a chance to weigh in on Keith is a Drunk until late, so I am going to repost this and I dont give a fuck if you idiots like it or not.

You are all full of shit.

The amount of alcohol you consume does not, despite what your jesus based/your going to hell because your a shitty weak person/judgmental rehab counselors tell you does not define the alcoholic. This kind of behavior enables another kind of addiction, being addicted to not drinking or doing drugs, stop playing savior or know it alls. And you weak bums who have been to rehab and sober etc... you should no better than to come on here or any other place and spout your bullshit.

If you freaks really honestly care about Keith and this issue, stop telling your story and giving your uneducated opinions, as recovering freaks you know you are powerless over it, stop trying to control yourself vicariously through Keith Malley.

If you are a true alcoholic, with a disease, (not a person who just cant control yourself and needs the attention) you know that 1 drink is too many and 100 isnt enough to fuel the monster and fill the empty hole inside you. Quite frankly, I dont see Keith as this empty inside/fill the hole type of person, maybe he just isnt that deep. As Patrice said once, "my choice will only be as good as my options" Keith has time and money and a forum that feeds into drinking as an activity, if you cant see that, it is your issue not his.

The only person who can diagnose an alcoholic is the alcoholic. Stop being so self righteous you retarded judgmental morons. Oh, wait, I forgot where I was: start the moral indictment and bashing of me and my character (again).

GO:
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

We've had three shows now revolving around drinking. I think it's time we got a party started. Don't worry all you friends of Bill, I'm a good bartender ... I'll pour you a soda with a twist in a lowball glass and you can pretend to drink too if you like, or you can have a cranberry juice if you're on your period.

Last edited by John Galt; 07-02-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Here's one for all you people in Kentucky ...

... and shut up, I was born there.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Here's one for all you people in Kentucky ...

... and shut up, I was born there.
I'm so sorry