Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Keith
  • 2 Post By littlp
  • 2 Post By rodimusprime
  • 2 Post By littlp
  • 3 Post By Bucho
  • 1 Post By Bucho
  • 1 Post By rodimusprime

Old 05-21-2023, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

236: Shows 3667 - 3670

What IS clever? We answer this and the other pressing issues related to this last week of KATG episodes. Just remember: if a psychopath is on your side, rethink yourself.

Guests:
Karen Morrow

Rod Morrow

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

The Girl and reedcj like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I came very close to losing $2000 to a jury duty scam. This guy called me at 5pm on a weekday when I was on my way home with my kids. He left a message on the phone which said he was a cop and I needed to call him back right away which of course I did. He sounded like a cop. He had a badge number and the address of the court house. He claimed I had missed jury duty so he had a warrant for me on his desk and there was two ways to solve it. One was to go to jail over the weekend or two to pay a $2000 fine. Those jury duty cards are so small it would be easy to miss. What clued me in despite me crying was he wanted the payment through Apple Pay. Thankfully due to my job I know of no government agency, especially law enforcement that would take Apple Pay instead of debit, check or money order. We are also in the process of adopting our kids so that was going through my mind when the guy was talking about jail time. Plus of course my job. In a way it was clever, they chose a time when a lot of people are commuting home from work likely with their kids. The guy sounded like a cop. Of course I felt stupid after for coming so close to losing $2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bucho and rodimusprime like this.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

First of all, I'm glad you avoided that scam. The ones where they have your information feel more "clever" than the random DM pig butchering scams for sure. I think I'm trying to find a balance in my head between the words "clever" and "duplicitous."

I don't think these scams are necessarily something that none of us could come up with because these scammers are more clever than us... it feels like they just have less morals than us and I think that's why I don't find it clever.

It's like the street harassment thing. Sure it works on a small percentage of women but it's not clever. You just have no low point that you'd stop at to get a woman's attention. That's how these scammers sound to me. You have no low point. You'll let someone cry on the phone as long as there is a slight chance they Apple Pay you 2,000 bucks.

That feels like something less than "clever" to me.
Bucho and littlp like this.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
First of all, I'm glad you avoided that scam. The ones where they have your information feel more "clever" than the random DM pig butchering scams for sure. I think I'm trying to find a balance in my head between the words "clever" and "duplicitous."

I don't think these scams are necessarily something that none of us could come up with because these scammers are more clever than us... it feels like they just have less morals than us and I think that's why I don't find it clever.

It's like the street harassment thing. Sure it works on a small percentage of women but it's not clever. You just have no low point that you'd stop at to get a woman's attention. That's how these scammers sound to me. You have no low point. You'll let someone cry on the phone as long as there is a slight chance they Apple Pay you 2,000 bucks.

That feels like something less than "clever" to me.

True. They definitely lack morals because I usually don’t call numbers I don’t recognize back but because he said he was a cop and didn’t say why he was calling I assumed the worst-I have several family members that live where I do and my husband was also on his way home so of course I assumed that someone was in a car crash or something awful so my emotions were heightened when I called back. I was crying so hard I had to pull over. It was rush hour so it would be harder to think straight with all of the above running through my head. Sickening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bucho and rodimusprime like this.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Like Rod, I started buzzing my hair as a young 'un, decades before any sign of hair loss, only my inspiration wasn't Michael Jordan.

It was Demi Moore.
Keith, The Girl and rodimusprime like this.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Like Rod, I started buzzing my hair as a young 'un, decades before any sign of hair loss, only my inspiration wasn't Michael Jordan.

It was Demi Moore.
Will Smith is going to smack you for this joke!
Old 05-22-2023, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
Will Smith is going to smack you for this joke!
The actual inspiration was Fight Club Brad Pitt (that movie was such a wonderful influence on so many young men), but you know what it's like for us comedy writers - when you see the opportunity to goof you just gotta goof!
rodimusprime likes this.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
The actual inspiration was Fight Club Brad Pitt (that movie was such a wonderful influence on so many young men), but you know what it's like for us comedy writers - when you see the opportunity to goof you just gotta goof!
Goof on playa.
Bucho likes this.