Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

30% of Americans Retarded

Okay, so there's gotta be some level of bullshit to this survey because there always is, and of course how they report it also makes a difference, but this story just about made me puke.

September 11 of what year?

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Some 30 percent of Americans cannot say in what year the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks against New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon in Washington took place, according to a published poll.

The Washington Post said that while the country is preparing to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the attacks that claimed nearly 3,000 lives and shocked the world, 95 percent of Americans questioned in the poll were able to remember the month and the day of the attacks.

But when asked what year, 30 percent could not give a correct answer.

Of that group, six percent gave an earlier year, eight percent gave a later year, and 16 percent admitted they had no idea whatsoever.

This memory black hole is essentially the problem of the older crowd: 48 percent of those who did not know were between the ages of 55 and 64, and 47 percent were older than 65, according to the poll.

The Post telephone survey was carried out July 21-24 among 1,002 randomly selected adults. The margin of error is plus or minus three percentage points.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

On a related note: I'm a US citizen, but I don't remember the date of Pearl Harbor, yet I do remember the day Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Parliament (November 5). The moral of this story is that you should make up a nursery rhyme for important dates if you REALLY want people to remember. I'll make up a limerick for all the old people:

Remember September eleven.
The terrorists thought they'd get seven-,
Ty-two virgin fun,
But in two thousand one
I don't think that they went to heaven.

I know that seven-ty-two is a bit of a stretch but there are not enough words that rhyme with eleven.

"Cubby is an idiot. Just look at his old posts.... Idiot. Always quoting me and fucking up the meaning..." ~ Keith
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I want to say bullshit, but I guess there must be at least some truth to the whole thing. Then again, I'm not all that surprised. Ask people who were the good guys and bad guys in WW2, and you'll be surprised by how many people don't know.

Still, I would have thought that for something that is still topical, it would be better known. I was watching the live coverage when the second plane hit, and that is inscribed in my brain. I guess it's just hard to believe that people would forget an event so significant.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

95% who couldnt give the year are AARP. did they ask a control question, like who is the president, or where are your pants?

still, i have no problem believing we as a public are dumb. it says 1 in 20 could NOT give even the month and day of the 9/11 attacks. whoever these people are, i hope whenever theyre in a crowd they know theyre the bottom of the barrel.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogy
95% who couldnt give the year are AARP. did they ask a control question, like who is the president, or where are your pants?

or... what year is it now?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

82.63333% of all surveys are poor reflections of society.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

72.524% of people are a poor reflection on society.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfcyank19
72.524% of people are a poor reflection on society.
Touche'
Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal
This memory black hole is essentially the problem of the older crowd: 48 percent of those who did not know were between the ages of 55 and 64, and 47 percent were older than 65, according to the poll.
That explains Bush. this is the voting demo. Note to world: He only won by1% and a big chunk are senile, fucking brilliant health care bites us in the ass
Old 08-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech
That explains Bush. this is the voting demo. Note to world: He only won by1% and a big chunk are senile, fucking brilliant health care bites us in the ass
Any figures to back that up? Or are you just talking out your ass? This is one poll of 1000 Americans. Polls are rarely an accurate barometer of the public thought. However, the age categories provided do give it validity. I'm not shocked that many of the people who forgot the year are over 60. In fact, most of us will lose some memory when we hit that age.