Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

pay close attention, buy some weed and a pack of cigarettes. break up the weed and take a fourth of the cigarette roll it together in a rolling paper. then listen to this song. enjoy
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

It seems like you want to get a job as a designer, but there hasn't really been any work posted. You don't have an easily available portfolio. Without this there's not way you're ever going to land a job, entry or not, as a designer.

Join deviantart, join tumblr, join twitter. Enter contests, design more things. Once you start getting a following and some credibility as a deisger, revamp your portfolio.

Then learn HTML and how to operate Flash. It's easy, really. Tutorials all over the fuckin place. Create a simple Flash website (that you design, obvi) that showcases your work and has contact information.

Also send mcdonalds your resume and make enough cash to pay for web development classes. You're going to need it. Even if you don't want to do web content, you're going to need it.

Once you land a job as an entry level designer (or office bitch, if you have to) use your newly developed web skills to show off your designing talent. Once get good enough with your designing ability you can become art director, project manager, etc etc.

There are tons of ways to make money designing, stop being lazy and expecting jobs to fall out of the sky. Yes you're submitting resumes, but honestly who reads that shit.

I havn't seen any of your work yet, so its hard to know what you can do however I'm assuming you can create nice looking things. (CD covers, posters, business cards, web templates (see that shit comes in handy), wallpapers, vector images, 3d renders, fonts, etc, etc)

Websites to join / become active on
deviantart.com -- Hugh art site, prints are avalible for sale. Good place to build a following.
Twitter.com -- Yes its a social networking. How do you know people in businesses? become socially connected.
Stumblr.com -- Similar to twitter, but more artsy fartsy. Post your shit here.
Crowdspring.com -- If you're good, get paid.
Threadless.com -- Put your designs on T-shirts. Get paid.

If this doesn't help you in some way, then obviously you're a helpless lazy jackfuck.

Have fun, and post some work.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Well you're bitching about not having a job as a designer. Then you proceed to demand that we provide explicit instructions on how to land you a job as a deisgner. The only piece of work you posted honestly has no relevance to a "graphic designer", even though the term is broadly used. When people actually try to give you advice on how to turn things around, you tell them to fuck off.

I hope you bleed soon and get it over with.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

You're kind of making me sad here dude. At first I was really pulling for you, this idea of yours is potentially great!

But, with each subsequent response you're becoming more and more unlikeable. When you started this thread you opened yourself up for all the comments and advice, and even ridicule, that you've received. It's coming off really condescending and totally ungrateful.

Personally, at this point if I had any leads for you I'd be really hesitant to share them with you based on the direction your responses have taken this thread.

But I don't, so fuck me I guess.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, but I just wanted to share that with you because if I'm thinking it, maybe someone else who can actually help you is reading this and feeling the same way.

Again, I do think this was an awesome idea, and I'd hate for you to miss out on an opportunity to land a great gig.

So good luck, and I'll be sending lots of warm land-your-dream-job thoughts your way!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
Jeff has it pretty much on the head

easy money, and your approach to this problem tells me you are a smart out of the box thinker, that's employable. Trouble is, you picked one of the hardest jobs there is to get, everyone and their brother has a graphic design degree, and something like 90% of graduates never go on to get work in that field.(hehe, I started at 17 while still in high school, managed 7 years experience, 2 as art director, before I realized I hated it and quit)

On the professional end:

1. Here's your new hobby, Graphic Designer, it's called CrowdSpring, get busy and submit one design a day. It will pad your portfolio with work not done in college, which is what employers want to see. Oh, and you might actually get paid now and then.

2. Fuck digging for want ads, when I was an Art Director, I never once hired anyone from a want ad. It's all about who you know, and assuming you don't know anyone, you need to be hitting up studios in person. Any place with an in house art department, that means billboard and sign companies, screen printing, newspapers and magazines. You said you know jack about web crap, so I assume you are a print guy.

Show up, tell them whatever you need to get your foot in the door. If that means saying, "Give me a week, I will work for free, if you like me at the end, give me some work, or at least keep my name on top of your list when hiring again". Tell em you'll help the production team, just to learn all aspects of the job, you'll reclaim screens, fold shirts, run a squeegee, trim work, clean plates, whatever it takes to get your foot in the door and them to know you by name. Bribe if you have tob but get your foot in the door, get your name out there.

Next on your list of worries, you have to stop the cash bleeding from savings. That means get a job, any job, to stem the flow while you work on getting where you need to be professionally.

Get a job delivering pizza, decent enough money and flexible hours. In Savannah, GA, my take home after expenses while I was still attending college was about $450 a week on maybe 25 hours a week. They aren't ever really hiring, but they can always squeeze someone onto the schedule, so you have to talk your way into it.

Before you do this, drive around, get familiar with your city, you need to decide where to work. Where are all the gated communities, the rich white people living up on top of hills or by the water? That's where the money is, that's where you'll deliver. Don't grab the first place that's closest to your home, it's actually worth driving 45 minutes or an hour out of your way just to deliver in a better part of town.

After picking out the cherry spot of town, walk in during the day and ask when the general manager is around. Not the shift manager. Don't fill out an application or anything unless it's from the store's general manager.

In Savannah, I drove around looking for the best part of town, then got a job at Pizza Hut on Whitmarsh Island. The very first night, not knowing the streets yet or anything, I still managed to break their store record for deliveries in a single night, at the time that was 19. Turned out, the Papa Johns was the store with all the business out there.

So I showed up, asking for the General Manager, who happened to be there, and asked about working. He said sorry, not hiring. So I told him I was the best driver over at Pizza Hut, but wasn't doing well enough there because of their low volume. I told him I average one delivery for every ten minutes I am on the clock working nothing but closing shifts, that I run, hop fences, bust ass in store, that I was an aggressive and competitive driver. I even told him I never wanted a raise, to help keep labor costs in line. He asked if I would be willing to manage, and I said no, not enough money in it.

He hired me on the spot(I brought 3 or 4 $100 bills to lay out one at a time if he still said no, but it never came to that)

Next thing is, only work closing night shifts. Usually people are happy to give them up, but sometimes they want to hold on to them. Do what you have to to get all the closing shifts you can, including bribery.

I always tipped out the managers at the end of the night, $5-$10. Nobody else does, so you stand out right away. They probably won't want to take it, simply insist, be insulted if they still say no. Usually, it's the managers assigning deliveries, and you want to be their favorite.

When you are working, run on every delivery, speed as much as you can without getting caught, get free pizza for every cop you ever see sitting in a patrol car and make sure they know your name. Hop fences, when people don't answer a door, take a quarter and tap on windows(it's super loud), do anything you can to always be the guy with the most runs at the end of the night. I mentioned having 19 at Pizza Hut, at Papa Johns I decimated their record, too, which was like 38 at the time. I topped it with 54 deliveries because I was the weirdo hyper aggressive guy who always sprinted.

Anyway, it'll net you close to $20 an hour, which will keep you afloat til you get your shit together. If you get a job delivering, PM me and I will fill you in on some tricks to be the delivery nazi.

Where the hell was that crowd spring site when i needed it?! The only advice I can offer is expand your skill set. I'm the same age as you and when i got out of college, I thought I was going to work for an ad agency or design movie posters. I quickly learned to expand my skill set outside of straight print design and started landing gigs for some major corporations doing mainly powerpoint. There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff (stock holder meetings, trade shows and the like) that the corporate types are more willing to throw $1200 a week at than actually do themselves.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #26 (permalink)

Nice graphic! Better than anything I could do; there's definitely some potential for a good position. Why not try for a game company?

Or have you already...
Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post

I think everyone deserves enough to live on, so long as you're not 2.7 GPA lady.
There's so much wrong with this.